The Holocaust

and--
Neutrality Act
Neutrality Act, law passed by the U.S. Congress and signed by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in Aug., 1935. It was designed to keep the United States out of a possible European war by banning shipment of war materiel to belligerents at the discretion of the President and by forbidding U.S. citizens from traveling on belligerent vessels except at their own risk. The demand for this legislation arose from the conviction of many Americans that U.S. entry into World War I had been a mistake. This conviction was strengthened by the well-publicized investigations by a Senate committee headed by Gerald P. Nye of American war loans to the Allies. The Neutrality Act was amended (Feb., 1936) to prohibit the granting of loans to belligerents, and later (Jan. and May, 1937) neutrality was extended to cover civil wars, a step inspired by the Spanish civil war. In Nov., 1939, the act was revised in favor of supplying warring nations on the “cash-and-carry” principle; but U.S. vessels were excluded from combat zones, and U.S. citizens were forbidden from sailing on belligerent vessels. These provisions were lifted by amendment in Nov., 1941, after the lend-lease policy had been established. The act was thus practically out of operation even before American neutrality ended with Pearl Harbor.
Neutrality Act — Infoplease.com

A nuclear Iran makes it make sense.

I personally believe that there is no way Israel would never let that happen. They already bombed Iranian nuclear facilities once. I don't see them having a problem doing it again. It is just too much of a threat and not one they are willing to take.

And why exactly didnt we ?

Isolationism, simply put.

FDR was wanting to enter WWII but it was highly unpopular with the American people. This is one of the theories as to why Pearl Harbor happened; FDR let it happen.

Pearl Harbor like 9/11 gave FDR the support of the American people to do whatever he wanted in the name of defending this country. FDR gave his "this day will live in infamy" on December 7, 1941 and the rest is history.

Isolationism, simply put.

FDR was wanting to enter WWII but it was highly unpopular with the American people. This is one of the theories as to why Pearl Harbor happened; FDR let it happen.

Pearl Harbor like 9/11 gave FDR the support of the American people to do whatever he wanted in the name of defending this country. FDR gave his "this day will live in infamy" on December 7, 1941 and the rest is history.

Right--pretty much the same reason people say we shouldnt be in Iraq. Isolationism. Passes by Congress (see above) Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Right--pretty much the same reason people say we shouldnt be in Iraq. Isolationism. Passes by Congress (see above) Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Well I certainly don't believe in Isolationism but I also don't believe in playing World Police.

The United Nations has always done a piss poor job of their goals and what their original intent was but that doesn't mean it's our job to play world police.

We neither have the manpower or resources even as the richest country in the world to stop all the horrors going on.

The numerous countries in Africa, North Korea with it's problems, China and it's violation of human rights for a long time now, the middle eastern countries where a woman gets killed for getting raped, Russia where freedom of press and other freedoms are once again being surpressed.

Also as I said before, stuff in Darfur,etc. That's why I don't accept the whole "we freed the Iraqi people from Tyranny" as our only reason to be there. To say that is putting one group of people's freedom and right to be helped over another's.

Well I certainly don't believe in Isolationism but I also don't believe in playing World Police.

The United Nations has always done a piss poor job of their goals and what their original intent was but that doesn't mean it's our job to play world police.

We neither have the manpower or resources even as the richest country in the world to stop all the horrors going on.

No we don't---and it's not America's fault for the holocaust in spite of what people try to make you believe.
You think Israel can deal with Irans nuke on it's own? Fine. But let's not hear any whining later about how poor Israel got blown away and we didn't do a damn thing to help them.

How about some consistency ? We either intervene in genocides or we don't. Is it our "business" or not ? 'Never Again' doesn't only apply to Jews, or does it ?

Memo to Paeprboy: America did not delcare war on Germany until 1941. The holocaust was well underway by then.
that begs the question, who knew what was REALLY happening at that time
yes, looking back we can say something should have been done sooner
as far as i know, no one outside of Germany actually knew what Hitler was doing to the Jews until after Germany was defeated

I personally believe that there is no way Israel would never let that happen. They already bombed Iranian nuclear facilities once. I don't see them having a problem doing it again. It is just too much of a threat and not one they are willing to take.
uh, no, that was Iraqi and Syrian

Memo to Paeprboy: America did not delcare war on Germany until 1941. The holocaust was well underway by then.
I agree with what FDR did at the time! He provided a certain amount of US military men and financial AID to England but not completly getting into a war yet. YOu have to remember we were getting over the Depression and didn't have the money to go to War.

No we don't---and it's not America's fault for the holocaust in spite of what people try to make you believe.
You think Israel can deal with Irans nuke on it's own? Fine. But let's not hear any whining later about how poor Israel got blown away and we didn't do a damn thing to help them.

How about some consistency ? We either intervene in genocides or we don't. Is it our "business" or not ? 'Never Again' doesn't only apply to Jews, or does it ?

I don't believe it was America's fault for the holocaust, but any country in the world could of stepped up and said something but didn't.

Israel at the current moment could blow the surrounding middle east off the earth completely. They not only have nukes but they are storing some of our nukes.

Personally, back then it would of been easier to intervene in genocides but today it is not so simply when so many countries people are being slaughtered.

We need to either revamp the UN or leave the UN. The U.N is one of those things to use in today's internet terms "epicly failed". The next group needs to be one that will be taking on Genocide very seriously. So when one country steps up, we all do.

Personally, I think 'never again' applies to any Genocide but the U.S doesn't seem to think so. Every culture and race of people have been targeted at some point in history and killed just for being that culture and race.

Memo to Obama: We did intervene in the Holocaust. It was called WW II.

Memo to Paperboy...no we didn't.

We knew the persecution of the Jews was starting up in the late 1930s.

Hitler offered to sell us the Jews rather than kill them, before he came to the "final solution"

We refused to take those Jews under our protection.

Obama was right about this point.

So I guess the Holocaust didn't start to occur in your eyes until the U.S got into the war?

Might as well say you think it's a myth along with Sunni Man.

The U.S had numerous chances to take down Hitler before his rise of power, 1936 in Munich being a excellent example. But guess what? We didn't do that.

We allowed all of this to occur, we allowed Hitler to commit genocide in his own country and didn't care. We only began to care when Hitler started to try and take over other countries.

How long, if ever do you honestly believe it would of taken the rest of the world to step in and say enough is enough to Hitler had he not attacked the rest of the world? After all the Jews, Gypsies, Homosexuals, Mentally Handicapped, and every other person who Hitler considered evil was dead in Germany?

:cuckoo:

For all of you flapping your gums, I have YET to see anyone providing evidence to support that the US know about the Holocaust prior to the US's entry into WWII.

The spin from both sides here is pretty ignorant of the facts. No, we did not fight WWII with ending the Holocaust as a goal.

The US was in fact directly responsible by its entry into WWII in the European theater of war for bringing about the end of the Holocaust.

Let's try to keep the truth where it belongs ... in the gray ... not painted with some one-sided spin.

Prior to its entry into the war, the facts surrounding the Holocaust are questionable as far as what the US knew and didn't. We knew minorities were being deported to camps. Those camps were presented as detainment/reeducation camps to the world. It is only after the fact knowledge that we found out exactly when Hitler's extermination programs began.

Yes, we knew Hitler persecuted Jews. So did we. So did most of the so-called at that time "civilized" nations of the Earth.

We turned a blind eye to the persecution of the Jews and other ethnic minorities in Nazi Germany just as we've turned a blind eye in Rwanda and Sudan because "we the People" don't want to see the truth. That would require us to take the moral decision to act.

BTW ... Japanese attrocities in Asia were FAR more publicly known prior to the US entry into WWII and we still did nothing until attacked.

The pussies in this country have to be hit in the head with a brick and their own jobs, lives and property threatened before they are willing to get off their asses and do something.

Your signature contains a quote from JFK. Unfortunately there was no greater appeaser of Hilter than JFK's father, Joseph Kennedy.

No, you put your foot in your mouth. Prescott Bush worked with Hitler's Germany until he was threatened with prosecution. Remember to a Bush, It's all about money. Neil, Jeb, Prescott

He made approximately 2 million dollars from Germany on Polish slave labor.

Read your fucking newspaper.

You piss me off. I was a newspaper boy when I was ten. I read more than then you do now.

No, you put your foot in your mouth. Prescott Bush worked with Hitler's Germany until he was threatened with prosecution. Remember to a Bush, It's all about money. Neil, Jeb, Prescott

You piss me off. I was a newspaper boy when I was ten. I read more than then you do now.

Afraid you put your foot in YOUR mouth. Joseph Kennedy was recalled from his diplomatic duty in the UK for being such an ardent Hitler appeaser. It's all about a money to a Kennedy as well.

Just as it's always about having a hypocritical double standard to you. If a conservative does it, it's evil. If a liberal does the exact same thing, it's perfectly sound reasoning.

You've shown your true colors time and again.

hmmmm, ''never again'' was the slogan americans used when describing pearle harbor, and us never again being attacked on our own soil...i think the CIA came out of it and a number of other new gvt agencies....(similar to 9/11)

was never again also the slogan for never another genocide etc too?

care

Afraid you put your foot in YOUR mouth. Joseph Kennedy was recalled from his diplomatic duty in the UK for being such an ardent Hitler appeaser. It's all about a money to a Kennedy as well.

Just as it's always about having a hypocritical double standard to you. If a conservative does it, it's evil. If a liberal does the exact same thing, it's perfectly sound reasoning.

You've shown your true colors time and again.
what was kennedy's monitary advantage or chamberlain's for that matter...in taking their positions....why did what you and other's call their position and near everyone in the citizenry in the usa's position- ''appeasement'' help these two in a monitary sense?

shamefully, i know so little about this.... :(

I agree with what FDR did at the time! He provided a certain amount of US military men and financial AID to England but not completly getting into a war yet. YOu have to remember we were getting over the Depression and didn't have the money to go to War.

I don't think he sent personnel, Americans did volunteer though - eg the Eagle Squadrons of the RAF in the Battle of Britain in 1940. The British did purchase materiel though. They paid back the loans a couple of years ago.

For all of you flapping your gums, I have YET to see anyone providing evidence to support that the US know about the Holocaust prior to the US's entry into WWII.

The spin from both sides here is pretty ignorant of the facts. No, we did not fight WWII with ending the Holocaust as a goal.

The US was in fact directly responsible by its entry into WWII in the European theater of war for bringing about the end of the Holocaust.

Let's try to keep the truth where it belongs ... in the gray ... not painted with some one-sided spin.

Prior to its entry into the war, the facts surrounding the Holocaust are questionable as far as what the US knew and didn't. We knew minorities were being deported to camps. Those camps were presented as detainment/reeducation camps to the world. It is only after the fact knowledge that we found out exactly when Hitler's extermination programs began.

Yes, we knew Hitler persecuted Jews. So did we. So did most of the so-called at that time "civilized" nations of the Earth.

We turned a blind eye to the persecution of the Jews and other ethnic minorities in Nazi Germany just as we've turned a blind eye in Rwanda and Sudan because "we the People" don't want to see the truth. That would require us to take the moral decision to act.

BTW ... Japanese attrocities in Asia were FAR more publicly known prior to the US entry into WWII and we still did nothing until attacked.

The pussies in this country have to be hit in the head with a brick and their own jobs, lives and property threatened before they are willing to get off their asses and do something.

I seriously doubt the world knew anything about the Shoah until the camps were liberated by the Allies.

We did know that the Nazis were "permitting" Jews to leave but we wouldn't take them. That was until the Dominican Republic accepted European Jewish refugees. The rest of us ignored them.

Joe Kennedy was a nazi-sympathizing piece of garbage, too.

Forum List

Back