The "Hillary Rosen" Standard

We were talking about Hillary Rosen's comments in another thread when the following exchange ensued

Does she not have a valid point in that Romney holds his wife up as telling him about women caring about the economy while she herself has never been a part of looking/having a job in that economy?

Why isn't Romney speaking straight out for himself instead of holding up his wife as "advising him" on an issue she has no experience in except...except....she's female. She is commenting on Romney getting advise on an issue from a person how has no experience in that issue.

BTW, I like how Hilary Rosen makes the point that this "War on Women" is purely a Right wing construct.

Do you have to smash your thumb with a hammer to realize that doing so would hurt? By your argument, No one that hasn't personally dealt with a specific situation is qualified to offer advice about that situation. Given that premise, Obama has NEVER run a business so why should anyone consider his opinion on business or economic matters credible?

Which led me to the "Hillary Rosen" standard. Basically she is saying that those with "no experience have no business advising" on issues they have no experience in.

So who, in the current govt, is unqualified to do their current job under Hillary Rosen's standard. I'll provide 3, you guys provide some more.....they don't have to be party specific as there are plenty of politicians, in fact almost all of them, on both sides that do not qualify under her "standards"

1) Obama is NOT QUALIFIED to talk about the economy
2) Pelosi is NOT QUALIFIED to advocate healthcare legislation affecting middleclass/lowerclass people
3) Tim Geitner is NOT QUALIFIED (by virtue of not knowing how to do his own taxes) for his job

Those are 3 points widely held and frequently made by Conservatives, so essentially you're accusing conservatives of being hypocritical by not applying that same standard to Ann Romney.

We were talking about Hillary Rosen's comments in another thread when the following exchange ensued

Do you have to smash your thumb with a hammer to realize that doing so would hurt? By your argument, No one that hasn't personally dealt with a specific situation is qualified to offer advice about that situation. Given that premise, Obama has NEVER run a business so why should anyone consider his opinion on business or economic matters credible?

Which led me to the "Hillary Rosen" standard. Basically she is saying that those with "no experience have no business advising" on issues they have no experience in.

So who, in the current govt, is unqualified to do their current job under Hillary Rosen's standard. I'll provide 3, you guys provide some more.....they don't have to be party specific as there are plenty of politicians, in fact almost all of them, on both sides that do not qualify under her "standards"

2) Pelosi is NOT QUALIFIED to advocate healthcare legislation affecting middleclass/lowerclass people
3) Tim Geitner is NOT QUALIFIED (by virtue of not knowing how to do his own taxes) for his job

Those are 3 points widely held and frequently made by Conservatives, so essentially you're accusing conservatives of being hypocritical by not applying that same standard to Ann Romney.

Nope...not at all...you are not paying attention.

We are actually showing how silly Rosens premise is.

Well...that is what I am doing.....

Partisanship is t0o funnehhh. OP is hacksmanship.

The part that made it obvious - #'s 1-3 all jsh to be D's.

:lol: what a marroon plymco

So you ignored what I wrote, nice hackery G.T.

PLYMCO_PILGRIM said:

It was ignorable. The choice and reason your 3 are your three are blatantly obvious -> you're just another tool of Washington's partisan hackery. Well designed, poorly played & all a part of the plan.

you mean the plan to allow the American people fight out the childish battles started by the political parties?

I agree.

Hillary gave situational commentary. Under liberal guidelines, it can only apply to the given subject or indivdual. Sort of like situational ethics.

Does she not have a valid point in that Romney holds his wife up as telling him about women caring about the economy while she herself has never been a part of looking/having a job in that economy?

Why isn't Romney speaking straight out for himself instead of holding up his wife as "advising him" on an issue she has no experience in except...except....she's female. She is commenting on Romney getting advise on an issue from a person how has no experience in that issue.

BTW, I like how Hilary Rosen makes the point that this "War on Women" is purely a Right wing construct.

What's worse is that the three you mention are in positions of power and making policies that we have to live with.

Ann Romney is relating the concerns that women across the country shared with her. You don't have to actually break your own leg to understand pain.

Having someone like Geithner in Washington who either cheated on his taxes or is really ignorant on how to do them is dangerous.

well then...

1) Barak Obama can not be a good Commander in Chief for he has never been part of the military.

2) Nancy Pelosi is not qualified to write laws that affect the less fortunate for she is...well....as rich as Anne Romney

3) MIchelle Obama is not quialified to offer her opinion on Obesity for she has never been obese.

4) A commentator who has never practiced politics is not qualified to comment on politics

5) Stephen King was not qualified to write Christine for he had never had a car that had its own mind

6) The only qualified psychiatirst is one that was once deemed as insane.
\

I want more of these people, this is what I was looking for....who is unqualified according to the Rosen Standard.

Partisanship is t0o funnehhh. OP is hacksmanship.

The part that made it obvious - #'s 1-3 all jsh to be D's.

:lol: what a marroon plymco

So you ignored what I wrote, nice hackery G.T.

PLYMCO_PILGRIM said:

It was ignorable. The choice and reason your 3 are your three are blatantly obvious -> you're just another tool of Washington's partisan hackery. Well designed, poorly played & all a part of the plan.

You've been shown to be the fool by your own comments, keep on keeping on by all means.

Well list of some republicans who are unqualified under the rosen standard like I asked you to then.....it shouldn't be hard...here i'll start

1) Mitt Romney is unqualified to speak about womens issues because he isn't a woman.
2) Ann romney is unqualified to speak about working women because her job isn't a monetary compensation career but a stay at home mom.

I'm sure you can think of more.

Hence me calling it the "Rosen Standard"

Its not all that deep of a concept :lol:

Well list of some republicans who are unqualified under the rosen standard like I asked you to then.....it shouldn't be hard...here i'll start

1) Mitt Romney is unqualified to speak about womens issues because he isn't a woman.
2) Ann romney is unqualified to speak about working women because her job isn't a monetary compensation career but a stay at home mom.

I'm sure you can think of more.

Since I'm not the one trying to deny Ann Romney her right to her opinion, you're talking to the wrong person.

If she has personal experience with being a mother and also having to work a job outside the home,

then she should tell us about it and let the value of her personal experience add itself to the stories.

Obviously though, she doesn't. She stated herself that she CHOSE to stay home. That choice, in today's economic climate, is a consequence of some degree of privilege. It is common knowledge that vast numbers of mothers work outside the home out of necessity to one degree or another.

It is in fact one the most important problems symptomatic of the economic decline in this country.

It's not a new issue:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Two-Income-Trap-Middle-Class-Parents/dp/0465090907/ref=lp_B001HD310U_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334338912&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: The Two-Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Parents are Going Broke (9780465090907): Elizabeth Warren, Amelia Warren Tyagi: Books[/ame]

Why don't you show how silly Romney's premise was by suggesting that his wife had some unique talent for discussing the economic problems of American women?

Start at the beginning because that is what Rosen was actually, in fact and in context, responding to.

She was just gruging up what Obama and the DNC told her to say.

When it backfired, they left her to hang.

What a horrendous theory, with so many holes.

1st hole: she could expose that they told her to say it, as opposed to apologizing in heindsight. That's just #1 - the most obvious one.

If she exposed that she was told to say this, her entire career is over. Including being employed by any company controlled by a democrat. She understood going in that she would be expected to take one for the team if the mission were unsuccessful. Her reward will come later.

Geez you people are batshit crazy.

Why don't you show how silly Romney's premise was by suggesting that his wife had some unique talent for discussing the economic problems of American women?

Start at the beginning because that is what Rosen was actually, in fact and in context, responding to.

NYCaribeener is not qualified to comment about Anne Romney because he isn't a woman. you aren't qualified to talk about Mitt either as your not a mormon (well maybe you are, if so then i'll find another thing that works under the "Rosen" stnadard :lol:)

Last edited:

No one is saying that Ann Romney isn't allowed to speak and advise....just don't expect us to believe she has this insight about what it's like to be a working woman in this economy.

Well I think the Rosen Standard should be for candidates.

"Don't bring up your spouse unless you want your spouse brought up."

Well I think the Rosen Standard should be for candidates.

"Don't bring up your spouse unless you want your spouse brought up."

"Don't bring up spouses", Obama's public position, is something I agree with.

But now that the dems have gone after Anne I guess that means that Michelle is fair game?

This issue reminds me of an event many years ago in CA when George Deukmajian was governor. He annnounced that he was going to experience LA rush hour traffic for himself. So, they get a big RV with an office in the back for him to sit in and do his business while someone else drove the RV thru LA rush hour. Then Deukmajian expounded on "how hard it was" to experience rush hour. Needless to say, he was laughed at by those truely DRIVING in LA rush hour day by day.

Forum List

Back