The government throws a man in jail for mocking a girl

Gatsby wrote: But I don't want the government thinking it's their right to throw people in jail for exercising their first amendment rights.

So ridiculing a disabled girl is your idea of free speech??

Avatar wrote: I don't know what's worse, the fact that this guy did this, or the fact that the government thinks they should infringe on our free speech rights because of it.

So you don't know the difference either???
:mad:
Judge Sentences Ohio Man to 29 Days in Jail for Imitating Disabled Girl's Limp
November 28, 2012 - In an apparent case of rudeness being elevated to criminality, a 43-year-old Ohio man has been sentenced to 29 days in jail for mocking a ten-year-old girl with cerebral palsy.
Canton (Ohio) Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing, the Associated Press reported. According to the The (Canton) Repository, Bailey was captured on a cellphone video imitating the way the girl, who uses crutches and has trouble walking.

An earlier report in The Repository said Bailey and his nine-year-old son walked away from the bus stop, dragging one leg. They were videotaped by the girl's mother, Tricia Knight, who took the video to local television stations, where it was played on-air. William Bailey reportedly said he was reacting to name-calling and taunts directed at his son by the Knight family.

Municipal Court Judge John A. Poulos on Tuesday ordered Bailey to report to the Stark County Jail on Jan. 2 to begin a 29-day sentence. The Repository said he must also pay $400 in court costs plus fines. Bailey apologized to the girl and her family in court. Jennifer Fitzsimmons, Canton’s assistant city prosecutor, was quoted as saying, "It's unfortunate that it had to come to this,” but she also said the case would bring "recognition to the problem" of bullying.

MORE & Video

You really think the guy should go to jail for teasing a girl?

If I teased you, you want me in jail? How about if you teased me? You going to jail?

The guy was a jerk. No one can deny that, but criminal charges? It's a stupid waste of taxpayer money. No wonder we have the highest incarcerated people per capita than any other country. We put them in jail for stupid things.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that this guy did this, or the fact that the government thinks they should infringe on our free speech rights because of it.

Avatar, a 43 y/o male vs a 10 y/o female is beyond bullying and probably threatening for the child.

I know you don't agree with this type of behavior.

I don't think anybody agrees with this type of behavior and if I was there, I would have been telling the guy off. I don't, however, think he should go to jail. I got that he was mocking her, not that he was threatening her. Mocking is not worthy of jail time.

Gatsby wrote: But I don't want the government thinking it's their right to throw people in jail for exercising their first amendment rights.

Avatar wrote: I don't know what's worse, the fact that this guy did this, or the fact that the government thinks they should infringe on our free speech rights because of it.

November 28, 2012 - In an apparent case of rudeness being elevated to criminality, a 43-year-old Ohio man has been sentenced to 29 days in jail for mocking a ten-year-old girl with cerebral palsy.
Canton (Ohio) Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing, the Associated Press reported. According to the The (Canton) Repository, Bailey was captured on a cellphone video imitating the way the girl, who uses crutches and has trouble walking.

An earlier report in The Repository said Bailey and his nine-year-old son walked away from the bus stop, dragging one leg. They were videotaped by the girl's mother, Tricia Knight, who took the video to local television stations, where it was played on-air. William Bailey reportedly said he was reacting to name-calling and taunts directed at his son by the Knight family.

Municipal Court Judge John A. Poulos on Tuesday ordered Bailey to report to the Stark County Jail on Jan. 2 to begin a 29-day sentence. The Repository said he must also pay $400 in court costs plus fines. Bailey apologized to the girl and her family in court. Jennifer Fitzsimmons, Canton’s assistant city prosecutor, was quoted as saying, "It's unfortunate that it had to come to this,” but she also said the case would bring "recognition to the problem" of bullying.

MORE & Video

If I teased you, you want me in jail? How about if you teased me? You going to jail?

The guy was a jerk. No one can deny that, but criminal charges? It's a stupid waste of taxpayer money. No wonder we have the highest incarcerated people per capita than any other country. We put them in jail for stupid things.

We have highest incarcerated rate in the world because of war on drugs being fought improperly, not because of shit like this.

We have highest incarcerated rate in the world because of war on drugs being fought improperly, not because of shit like this.

We have the highest incarcerated rate in the world because of a number of reasons including stupid stuff like this.

MORE & Video

.....While allowing the REALLY STUPID PEOPLE to RUN FREE!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc]Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President - YouTube[/ame]​

My son had, or so the school said, ADHD. I would never threaten him with any such thing, nor would I medicate him. He got a cup of coffee every morning and plenty of fresh air and exercise.

The parents should be horse whipped.

Which parents?

Caffeine is considered self medication.
Hopefully your son had a very mild case of ADHD and grew out of it.
There was a time, before my time :razz:, when schools dx'd many students with ADHD, merely because teachers couldn't handle, or didn't know how to deal with 'fidgeting'.

How is your son doing now?

We have the highest incarcerated rate in the world because of a number of reasons including stupid stuff like this.

In Germany if you say Heil Hitler you will get thrown in jail but no high incarceration and why? No stupid misguided war on drugs that targets certain people disproportionately, no dumb mandatory sentencing for certain crimes, and no three strikes law, the judges in America have too much leeway to do what they like which doesn't bode well for the average citizen and its also based on the lawyers you have, if you have a great lawyer you can be terrible law breaker and get off with light sentences or probation, there are too many variables you haven't considered that actually favors criminals.

Ohio dad gets jail for mocking girl with cerebral palsy | Fox News

Let me preface this by saying that that man was being a total ass wipe. But I don't want the government thinking it's their right to throw people in jail for exercising their first amendment rights. That's every bit as despicable as what that ass wipe did.

Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for 43-year-old William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.

He admitted breaking the law. Not seeing what your problem here is?

Seriously, you have no sympathy for poor people who need a helping hand, but some asshole who mocks a child is a First Amendment Hero?

Let me preface this by saying that that man was being a total ass wipe. But I don't want the government thinking it's their right to throw people in jail for exercising their first amendment rights. That's every bit as despicable as what that ass wipe did.

What do you mean by government? I believe this is a local matter, not a federal government matter, don't use such ad hominem arguments against the federal government.

Shhhh.... Gatsby is one of those guys who growls at the mailman, saying "Damn Gummit spying on me!" when the mailman brings his unemployment check.

MORE & Video

Is the first amendment based upon you can say what you want but only if you're really nice about it? We start throwing guys like this in prison today and tomorrow it's protestors against the government.

somehow tgg defending freedom of speech falls short....i guess it doesnt extend to his social group...what a fucking joke....dont pretend to be this on the open board when you are a self centered, censoring dick in your social group

i saw this video when it first came out.....if that had been my child i would have taken a baseball bat to his sorry ass and stood my chances with a jury...

btw....if i were on a jury that was about what this man did......i would convict in a heartbeat...

o tgg if you are all for freedom of speech....why did you bounce people for disagreeing with you in the social club...ie sherry

MORE & Video

Actuallly yeah, ridiculing someone is your freedom of expression no matter how wrong it is. What's next? Jail for ridiculing dumbass politicians? Jail for comedians that make fun of retarded people all the time? This guy is obviously an a-hole, but that doesn't mean he loses his 1st amendment right. Nowhere in the US Constitutiion do you have a right not to be ridiculed, but you do have the right to ridicule people. We gonna start putting cartoonists in jail for ridiculing people in their cartoons. Where does it stop? This guy was a moron for taking a plea he should have fought this all the way to the Supreme Court, he would have won.

we have highest incarcerated rate in the world because of war on drugs being fought improperly...

no...

No to what? Which fact are you disputing?

That we don't have the highest incarceration rate in the world, because we do. 2 Million in prison and another 7 million on parole or probation.

Or that the War on Drugs is the biggest clusterfuck since Prohibition?

On the face of it, I would tend to agree. This does not justify jail. However, since this was a plea deal I suspect there is a lot more to the story than what we see here.

Ohio has a history of violating people's rights.

There's this story, what the OP is about.

And this one.
Court orders man to apologize to estranged wife on Facebook - Los Angeles Times

Problem is, people can't fight this thing because there's no way they can afford a lawyer. The guy in the OP probably just thought it was cheaper to do the time than to fight it.

When he gets out, if i was him, I would find some crooked lawyer and sue the state for unlawful imprisonment, lol.

This is a joke.

Uh, yeah?? Don't you think so?? I don't know what planet you're from, but making fun of someone isn't against the law. Now, if this was a pattern of repeated behavior in which multiple complaints had been filed then I could see this being an issue of harassment which might merit legal action, but certainly not based on this video.

The guy is clearly an immature asshat, but last I checked that wasn't illegal and by supporting what this judge did you're sending us down a very slippery slope. The fact this man was put in jail for a month over this is incredibly disturbing.

Forum List

Back