The GOP's New Fake Racial History

NO you're an apologist for racism.

LBJ and other Democrats changed their views. It's what people of good faith do. The unrepentant racists left in a block and started the GOP's Southern Strategy. This is all factual and the GOP Chairman actually apologized for the Southern strategy.

The majority of the south is still Democratic.

The majority of the south formed the racist Southern strategy of the GOP for decades.

1964, though, is what changed everything. In signing the Civil Rights Act, LBJ cemented the Democrats as a civil rights party. And in nominating anti-civil rights Barry Goldwater for president (instead of pro-civil rights Nelson Rockefeller) the GOP cast its future fortunes with the white electorate of the South. LBJ trounced Goldwater nationally that fall, winning more than 60 percent of the popular vote. But in the South, voters flocked to the Republican nominee, with Goldwater carrying five states in the region. Mississippi, the same state that had given FDR 97 percent of its votes 28 years earlier, now gave Goldwater 87 percent. That fall, Thurmond, now a senator, renounced his Democratic affiliation once and for all and signed up for Goldwater's GOP. The realignment was well underway, and it had everything to do with race.

Barry Goldwater was not opposed to civil rights. He was a staunch supporter of racial equality. What he opposed was the Civil Rights Act because he didn't feel it was an appropriate application of the Constitution to force people to congregate with those they didn't want to.

Barry Goldwater was a member of the NAACP and a major financial donor.

Segregation was the issue. Exactly. The debate was won in the courts. The 14th amendment it was argued, did not support desegregation. That argument lost.

Barry Goldwater was opposed to civil rights acts that would have made desegregation a reality. he supported an idea with no teeth and no hope of reality.

Principles that sacrifice the people they are supposed to help are evil.

NO you're an apologist for racism.

LBJ and other Democrats changed their views. It's what people of good faith do. The unrepentant racists left in a block and started the GOP's Southern Strategy. This is all factual and the GOP Chairman actually apologized for the Southern strategy.

The majority of the south is still Democratic.

The majority of the south formed the racist Southern strategy of the GOP for decades.

They're still mostly Democrats and the GOP's Southern Strategy was almost 40 years ago. Who gives a shit? It has nothing to do with the Republicans of the 21st century. Rational people understand this. Reactionary people and bigots like Marc do not.

Barry Goldwater was opposed to civil rights acts that would have made desegregation a reality. he supported an idea with no teeth and no hope of reality.

The Civil Rights Act wasn't necessary to stop segregation. Existing law was already on the side of the disenfranchised. The Feds simply wouldn't enforce it.

Apparently the GOP feels the need to have its Southern members like Haley Barbour go out and spread the lie that it wasn't race that caused the Democrats in the South to go running full-speed to the Republican party. It was....some other reason.

Can you believe that tripe? Read it and weep.

The GOP's new fake racial history - War Room - Salon.com

*SMH*

This is the guy who LIED about me saying Obama was half black, to "prove" racism.

I hate to break it to you Marc but all those people that fought against Civil Rights back in the day WERE DEMOCRATS.

Robert Byrd? A Democrat.

Al Gore Sr? A Democrat

Connolly? A Democrat

George Wallace? A Democrat.

Pretty funny that liberals are so damn scared of Haley Barbour they have to start this "all Southernors are racist" meme, WHEN THEY DIDN'T DO THAT WHEN BILL CLINTON RAN!!!!!!!

Bill Clinton A FULLBRIGHT golden boy, and liberals are going to try and paint everyone in the South as racist in a desperate attempt to malign Haley Barbour?

That's as desperate as trying to smear George Bush with the dragging death of a black man in Texas, AND THAT DIDN'T WORK, EITHER!

This is so laughably desperate by liberals.

Go ahead and call half the country racists liberals. See you in November!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Of your list, Barbour is the only one who still goes to those CCC rallies, which is nothing more than the outgrowth of the white collar Klan, White Citizens Council. Why do you suppose he still does that?

Yeah, when you have any evidence for that, that isn't some some site like Salon, suggesting all Southernors are racists, let me know.

:lol:

Carter ran against a liberal Republican, with a more liberal Republican running mate. We had those back then, until the Southern racists started purging their new home party of them. I guess I'll put you down as an other idiot who would rather shout "liar" than use their brain.

Do you not know how that even Pat Buchanan, who was one of the architects of the Southern Strategy, admitted to using the 1964 Civil Rights legislation to coopt angry white Southerners?

Can you explain why the deep south voted against their own in the 1964 race, in a landslide victory, against a "states rights" candidate who was running on a John Birch Society platform?

I don't know if you're a liar or just really stupid at this point.

Ford was a liberal Republican? Who knew?
1964? Georgia had a Democratic Governor up until 2003.
AL had George Wallace (elected the last time with a majority of the black vote btw).
Actually I think every southern state had Democratic governor and Democratic senators and Democratic Representatives. That was so up until probably 1990 or later.
Pretty much blows the theory of the GOP took over the racists of the Democratic Party.

Because Johnson was the epitome of a Big Government politiician while Goldwater represented states rights and individualism.

Total nonsense. The South loved Big Government, and the largess of the New Deal. How in the hell do you think that Johnson was able to arm twist that handful of Dixiecrats to support that Civil Rights act? States rights means one thing in 1964, and that was to maintain institutional aparthied, and keep blacks from voting.

You're not THE Dick Tuck btw, are you?

That depends on what you mean by "THE". No, I'm not the one who drove Nixon to hire Don Segretti.

Nonsense. The South might have loved the spending of the New Deal, but so what? That was20-30 years before the '64 election.
And don't forget to try to refute my point that most Southerners holding elected office up until very very recently were Democrats.

The Civil Rights Act wasn't necessary to stop segregation. Existing law was already on the side of the disenfranchised. The Feds simply wouldn't enforce it.

Sounds like immigration

Wait--Are you suggesting that "BIG FAT GOVERNMENT" is too lazy to enforce its laws? Are you implying that "Little skinny Government" conservatives are using allegorical references to the truth when they say government gets in the way? Or is it possible that "Morbidly obese Government" does what it wants to regardless of size?:tongue:

The real story here are the lies of Haley Barbour. Republicans have no shame. They lie at the drop of a hat. Next, they'll be telling us Iraq had WMDs or a Republican was holding George Washington's inaugural address in his bare hands. Or the president was born in Kenya.

The Democrat Party pushed an abortion issue forward, that was nothing more than absolute genocide against over 25 million BLACK babies, they were absolutely against the abolition of slavery, the south still votes Democrat, and the only racists I've seen on the news since the KKK are black racists. And they can get away with being racists. Most blacks can't afford to pay the liberal college professors tuition required for their rich salaries. As soon as school was over, you realized that rich liberal Democrat professor lied, robbed you, and you have a worse unemployment rate among Americans.

Now go call the GOP the racists, and show us how smaht you all are.

Go vote Democrat you geniuses, and maintain the irrational,racist hatred against all things GOP and white!

:)

Apparently the GOP feels the need to have its Southern members like Haley Barbour go out and spread the lie that it wasn't race that caused the Democrats in the South to go running full-speed to the Republican party. It was....some other reason.

Can you believe that tripe? Read it and weep.

The GOP's new fake racial history - War Room - Salon.com

*SMH*

Amazing! A thread about fake racial history.

And I am siting on a story that features the most fake racial history of all time!

No, the actual quote was "We have lost the South for a generation".

When President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, striking down Jim Crow in July 1964, he famously remarked to his young press secretary, Bill Moyers, "We have lost the South for a generation."​
Source

The 1964 electoral map proves that.

20080524081808!1964_Electoral_Map.png

So why did you claim I was lying? Are you too stupid or lazy to do your research? Or are you just an ignorant clown who wants to start a flame war when someone shows you're full of shit. So scumbag, since I at least sourced my quote, are you man enough to give an apology, or are you just going to play internet tough guy behind your computer screen?

No, I've done this already and posted a whole thread on LBJ

Lots of people post lots of threads. I'll trust Bill Moyers on this, since he was Johnson's press secretary and gave a first hand account. Notice I'm not a petty piece of scum who would call you a liar, based on your disinformation....yet. I figure I'll wait to see if you have a pattern of disinforming.

Did Johnson's support for civil rights lose the south for a generation or not? In light of the reality of politics, your contention still makes no logical sense.

Call me whatever you want.

LBJ set civil right back at least 7 years because he watered down Ike ground breaking legislation and only passed it once he became President and the lying, psychopathic, sycophantic media gave LBJ the credit and blamed Republicans for being racists. That's after FDR used blacks like Nazis used their Untermenschen in the Tuskegee Experiments

No, I've done this already and posted a whole thread on LBJ

Lots of people post lots of threads. I'll trust Bill Moyers on this, since he was Johnson's press secretary and gave a first hand account. Notice I'm not a petty piece of scum who would call you a liar, based on your disinformation....yet. I figure I'll wait to see if you have a pattern of disinforming.

Did Johnson's support for civil rights lose the south for a generation or not? In light of the reality of politics, your contention still makes no logical sense.

Why? Only a douche bag runs around calling people they don't know liars, before seeking clarification.

LBJ set civil right back at least 7 years because he watered down Ike ground breaking legislation and only passed it once he became President and the lying, psychopathic, sycophantic media gave LBJ the credit and blamed Republicans for being racists. That's after FDR used blacks like Nazis used their Untermenschen in the Tuskegee Experiments

What an ignorant view of history. WTF does this have to do with Haley Barbour, who still attends meetings with racist organizations, lying about the Southern Strategy, and the base cause of Southern realignment in GOP?

Say what you want about LBJ, as I sure as hell have many problems with his administration, but the fact remains that he, not Ike, was able to strong arm congress into signing the most sweeping civil rights legislation, since Lincoln. A fact that also seems lost on you is that it was conservatives, from both parties, who fought against this tooth and nail, and got so pissed that it was passed, realigned with Republicans. It was the Republican candidate, in 1964, who ran on a "states rights" platform, at a time when that meant one thing, IE states ought to have the right to discriminate on race, creed, and ethnicity in everything from education to public accommodation to voting.

Hell, the wingnuts are still whining about passing that civil rights bill. Rand Paul has been ranting about it for years, calling it unconstitutional. He only did an about face when he was confronted with it costing him the upcoming election.

Why? Only a douche bag runs around calling people they don't know liars, before seeking clarification.

What an ignorant view of history. WTF does this have to do with Haley Barbour, who still attends meetings with racist organizations, lying about the Southern Strategy, and the base cause of Southern realignment in GOP?

Say what you want about LBJ, as I sure as hell have many problems with his administration, but the fact remains that he, not Ike, was able to strong arm congress into signing the most sweeping civil rights legislation, since Lincoln. A fact that also seems lost on you is that it was conservatives, from both parties, who fought against this tooth and nail, and got so pissed that it was passed, realigned with Republicans. It was the Republican candidate, in 1964, who ran on a "states rights" platform, at a time when that meant one thing, IE states ought to have the right to discriminate on race, creed, and ethnicity in everything from education to public accommodation to voting.

Hell, the wingnuts are still whining about passing that civil rights bill. Rand Paul has been ranting about it for years, calling it unconstitutional. He only did an about face when he was confronted with it costing him the upcoming election.

I knew right away you were either lying or ignorant and I suspect you might be both.

LBJ stalled Ike Civil Rights legislation and wanted to strangle it to death but realized he could not do so for the long term so he passed a watered down version, then once he got JFK out of the way and became President he essentially passed the legislation Ike sent him 7 years prior.

And he still called Thurgood Marshall a ****** in 1967.

Get better heroes

Ford was a liberal Republican? Who knew?
1964? Georgia had a Democratic Governor up until 2003.
AL had George Wallace (elected the last time with a majority of the black vote btw).
Actually I think every southern state had Democratic governor and Democratic senators and Democratic Representatives. That was so up until probably 1990 or later.
Pretty much blows the theory of the GOP took over the racists of the Democratic Party.

Because Johnson was the epitome of a Big Government politiician while Goldwater represented states rights and individualism.

Total nonsense. The South loved Big Government, and the largess of the New Deal. How in the hell do you think that Johnson was able to arm twist that handful of Dixiecrats to support that Civil Rights act? States rights means one thing in 1964, and that was to maintain institutional aparthied, and keep blacks from voting.

You're not THE Dick Tuck btw, are you?

That depends on what you mean by "THE". No, I'm not the one who drove Nixon to hire Don Segretti.

Nonsense. The South might have loved the spending of the New Deal, but so what? That was20-30 years before the '64 election.
And don't forget to try to refute my point that most Southerners holding elected office up until very very recently were Democrats.

Barry Goldwater got 87% of the vote in Mississippi in 1964. The same year he voted AGAINST the Civil Rights Act.

That represents a large number of CONSERVATIVE DEMOCRATS abandoning the Democratic party when they realized that their CONSERVATIVE segregationist views were no longer welcome in the Democratic party.

Liberal playbook rule #101:

When your Dem Party voted WITH Bush for eight years, outBushed Bush when they came to power, and things look dim: Bring up the race card, and start a baseless propaganda mission.

It's interesting to compare the party platforms over the years. The GOP has been consistently pro-civil rights since 1858.

From the Democratic Party platform:
1840, 1844, 1848
All efforts by abolitionists . . . to interfere
with questions of slavery . . . are
calculated to lead to the most alarming
and dangerous consequences and . . . have
an inevitable tendency to diminish the
happiness of the people and endanger the
stability and permanency of the union.​

I knew right away you were either lying or ignorant and I suspect you might be both.

LBJ stalled Ike Civil Rights legislation and wanted to strangle it to death but realized he could not do so for the long term so he passed a watered down version, then once he got JFK out of the way and became President he essentially passed the legislation Ike sent him 7 years prior.

Get better heroes

Your defense of Haley Barbour's racist revisionism ought make you proud.

Get better heroes

Your defense of Haley Barbour's racist revisionism ought make you proud.

what difference does it make. I'm sure you are right proud of the racists on your side of the aisle.

It's interesting to compare the party platforms over the years. The GOP has been consistently pro-civil rights since 1858.

From the Democratic Party platform:
1840, 1844, 1848
All efforts by abolitionists . . . to interfere
with questions of slavery . . . are
calculated to lead to the most alarming
and dangerous consequences and . . . have
an inevitable tendency to diminish the
happiness of the people and endanger the
stability and permanency of the union.​

The paradigm shifts over time is pretty interesting. It seems that every political party, once entrenched, moves from a movement party to a machine party. Every so often, the ideologues start coming up with litmus tests. One thing that has been consistent is the conservative position of maintaining status quo. Party really meant squat in the 50s and 60s, as it was a time when both were essentially machine parties, with liberal and conservative wings. Johnson and Nixon essentially changed that, with Nixon co-opting on the hatred of Southern whites being forced to share schools and water fountains.

The bottom line still is that conservative whites, due almost exclusively to hatred of integration and civil rights, flocked to the GOP in droves, after the 1964 Civil Rights act was passed. I still think that Nixon, who was pretty much a liberal on social issues, got blind sided by the monster he created. Haley Barbour's attempt to revise that history is despicable.

Forum List

Back