The (Golf) Match

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Golf has not often seen one-on-one matches like this Tiger-Phil thing, and skeptics question whether this one proved anything at all. Tiger has brung himself back into the conversation about who's the Best, and Phil retains a relatively high profile by competing only in the tournaments that favor his playing style.

The match was said to be a snoozer, but it avoided the sponsors' nightmare where one of them was so far ahead so early that it was quickly non-competitive. Hey, it went into extra-innings!

Hopefully, Phil will donate most or all of his winnings to some worthy charity.

I personally think the "point" was, this was a Test Case. Once or twice a year going forward, some sponsor will entice two of the best or most popular players to a similar match at Pebble Beach or some exotic location for a similar match/spectacle. Sergio vs. Jordan Spieth? Rory vs. Jon Rahm?

I'd watch.

They used to have Shells wonderful world of Golf or some name 1:1 matches in the olden days. I've seen some replay on.

They used to have Shells wonderful world of Golf or some name 1:1 matches in the olden days. I've seen some replay on.
Good point I liked the Shell Wonderful World of Golf format. It's cool to see the old greats playing match play but in a casual atmosphere. This Tiger-Phil match seemed to be over hyped and the $9 million dollar prize is just ridiculous.

Did not know it was on? Regular TV or PPV?

I had hoped they were putting up their own money? The FedEx cup is bad enough.... $10M for four rounds. Regular people pay to play.

As I say, this is a preview of things to come. Next time, they will figure out a way to include a couple of Babes from the LPGA tour. Maybe a couple of popular Geezers (Fred Couples?).

People who are not serious golf fans only pay attention to a dozen or so recognizable names, and will tune in to entertaining matches like this. And they rarely watch regular tournament play, other than the Grand Slams.

Forum List

Back