US Eagles

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
US Eagles face Ireland in Dublin with both teams at an all-time high
The USA have won nine straight Test matches. That they will in all likelihood not make it 10 on Saturday is arguably of less importance to the rugby world than the fact their last game of 2018 is against Ireland in front of a sellout Dublin crowd.

The Irish capital is still buzzing after the men in green beat the All Blacks, leading the New Zealand coach, Steve Hansen, to anoint Ireland as the best in the world. But the Americans will not face the first-choice Irish XV. After wins against Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Canada (twice), Russia, Scotland, Samoa and Romania, Gary Gold’s Eagles have a fine stage on which to showcase their striking improvement.

“We know this weekend will present our greatest challenge yet,” the head coach said, in a release from USA Rugby.

“Ireland will be relentless as ever and our guys have spent the last week ensuring that they approach Saturday’s game with the level of intensity that will put us in the best position to meet the fight.”

I am currently watching them playing the world number one Ireland.

They are doing ok and are only 10 points adrift. There are 70000 watching this in Dublin but I detect zero interest in the States.

You should get behind them, they are doing your country proud.

Okay, it seems I’m not the only one that has no clue as to what the OP is talking about.

Okay, it seems I’m not the only one that has no clue as to what the OP is talking about.
Rugby...not exactly a fan magnet in the USA. On the other hand I wish the Eagles much success.

Interesting trivia....Teddy Roosevelt outlawed football in the US due to a few deaths during play, which were little more than gang brawls in those days. Rugby was taken up and we won a gold medal in 1924 at the Paris Olympics.
Americans' long, strange trip to rugby gold in 1924 Olympics

Imagine what we could do with athletes like Sequon Barkley and J.J. Watt if football wasn't
draining our talent pool away from sports like rugby.

Rugby...not exactly a fan magnet in the USA. On the other hand I wish the Eagles much success.

Interesting trivia....Teddy Roosevelt outlawed football in the US due to a few deaths during play, which were little more than gang brawls in those days. Rugby was taken up and we won a gold medal in 1924 at the Paris Olympics.

Imagine what we could do with athletes like Sequon Barkley and J.J. Watt if football wasn't
I do think that the US has the manpower to dominate the sport. The US should not hide in the wilderness of gridiron and baseball.

I do think that the US has the manpower to dominate the sport. The US should not hide in the wilderness of gridiron and baseball.

And basketball and hockey...

And basketball and hockey...
Any American kid is going to play those sports because that is the culture and where the money is.
But they can make decent money playing football and rugby to a lesser extent.

Forum List

Back