CDZ The fluidity of political parties

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Lately I've been comparing people's love of their political party of choice with their blind love of their local sports team. I have another point I'd like to ad on.

Much like one year the Dolphins might be built around a ball control opportunistic offense and a stingy safe defense and another year be reliant entirely on their QB, one year a political party may fall in line with tariffs and another be against. Same I suppose for other issues.

The main goal of a political party seems to be the same as most corporations. People are there to preserve the entity and make money.

Did the old school Democrats from 1870 want to side with FDR? Did they want to vote for the civil rights acts? Weren't the Republicans the party of free trade being best for humanity (I was lectured many times on this board on that issue)? Putin is evil, Putin isn't soo bad, it all comes and goes.

Lately I've been comparing people's love of their political party of choice with their blind love of their local sports team. I have another point I'd like to ad on.

Much like one year the Dolphins might be built around a ball control opportunistic offense and a stingy safe defense and another year be reliant entirely on their QB, one year a political party may fall in line with tariffs and another be against. Same I suppose for other issues.

The main goal of a political party seems to be the same as most corporations. People are there to preserve the entity and make money.

Did the old school Democrats from 1870 want to side with FDR? Did they want to vote for the civil rights acts? Weren't the Republicans the party of free trade being best for humanity (I was lectured many times on this board on that issue)? Putin is evil, Putin isn't soo bad, it all comes and goes.
Well said. This is why I have joined an ever increasing number of people who have NO PARTY AFFILIATION. The current "two party" system was foreseen and warned about some time ago (1796). None other than George Washington warned us:
"Washington recognizes that it is natural for people to organize and operate within groups such as political parties, but he also argues that every government has recognized political parties as an enemy and has sought to repress them because of their tendency to seek more power than other groups and to take revenge on political opponents."

"He acknowledges the fact that parties are sometimes beneficial in promoting liberty in monarchies, but argues that political parties must be restrained in a popularly elected government because of their tendency to distract the government from their duties, create unfounded jealousies among groups and regions, raise false alarms among the people, promote riots and insurrection, and provide foreign nations and interests access to the government where they can impose their will upon the country."George Washington's Farewell Address - Wikipedia
Holy Crap. Sounds a whole lot like he foresaw today's political climate, and warned us to avoid it. But, hey, he was just some old dead white guy who owned slaves, so what did he know. Right? To bad we rarely learn the truth.

Apperantly no one else wants to discuss this. Thus, this country will continue to spin out of control, and eventually collapse. Unless, of course, people wake up. I hope people do soon, for it may be too late if we do not act quickly.

Apperantly no one else wants to discuss this. Thus, this country will continue to spin out of control, and eventually collapse. Unless, of course, people wake up. I hope people do soon, for it may be too late if we do not act quickly.

I tried not to be real offensive or anything with my post so it got less attention lol.

Maybe everyone agrees that a Company, team or Party will try to keep itself in existence at almost all costs? A company which once made widgets will switch to sprockets when widgets go out of style. An offense built on an efficient passing attack and a heck of a ground game will switch to the air if they draft the right PIttsburgh quarterback and have no real running game?

A political party built in the racist south and sees itself dying accidentally elects FDR to the national stage and sends themselves down the path to being the party of the free love hippies?

A party which after the Hoovervilles had to nominate a barely a member war hero to the Oval Office to have a chance only to see him betray them in his farewell address has to welcome the discards of the other party a few decades years later to stand a chance?

So parties, offenses and corporations do change. If I like a strong running game I better be willing to switch which team I root for every decade or two.

I tried not to be real offensive or anything with my post so it got less attention lol.

Maybe everyone agrees that a Company, team or Party will try to keep itself in existence at almost all costs? A company which once made widgets will switch to sprockets when widgets go out of style. An offense built on an efficient passing attack and a heck of a ground game will switch to the air if they draft the right PIttsburgh quarterback and have no real running game?

A political party built in the racist south and sees itself dying accidentally elects FDR to the national stage and sends themselves down the path to being the party of the free love hippies?

A party which after the Hoovervilles had to nominate a barely a member war hero to the Oval Office to have a chance only to see him betray them in his farewell address has to welcome the discards of the other party a few decades years later to stand a chance?

So parties, offenses and corporations do change. If I like a strong running game I better be willing to switch which team I root for every decade or two.
Much like in politics, if you are a PRINCIPLED person, you must re-evaluate (and change when necessary) your political affiliations when your principles are no longer reflected. Not change with the passing political wind. Thus, we are in this mess. Far too many people have abandoned principles for party, for far too long.

I just don't know what to do about it.

Let me go even more basic.

Whichever political team we are affiliated with, we don't have to root for the whole team. As an example - I am a life long registered Democrat who hasn't voted for a Democrat presidential candidate since Carter, and only one Democrat for US Senate in recent years, none for the US House. But local primaries and elections matter also.

I guess what I'm trying to say - party affiliation is not really the problem - we each and every one can vote for the man we believe is best for the particular job, regardless of party...if we take the time to do so. Kinda like rooting for your favorite quarterback on one team, and your favorite receiver on the other team during the same game - only in politics can we do that...only in politics is it vital that we do.

Forum List

Back