The evil 'Mr. Rogers'

Mr. Rogers promoted the idea of free-loading and expecting success in life for no effort, . .

The person who posted this would have done far better in life following Mr. Rogers' attitudes toward life and people than his own misguided nonsense.

Give us a link that showed Mr. R taught "free-loading" and "no effort."

What stupidity to suggest such a thing.

But you could give us a link. If you can't, the doctrine of affirmative silence condemns your argument as nothing at all.

I posted that and firmly stand by it.

When some naive do-gooder, with the best intentions in the world, promotes the idea that one is "SPECIAL", simply because one was born, it leads to the mentality that one just be there, do nothing, earn nothing, expect everything, and wealth and fame will automatically will fall on one's lap.

Your conclusion has no rational basis. Nothing about promoting self-worth implies "do nothing". In fact it implies the opposite; the power of the individual to accomplish. Those so depressed that they "do nothing" or expect handouts are not exactly drowning in self-worth. They have the opposite problem.

I thought your part of the world was all about the potential of the individual over that of the state. Guess I misread.

Last edited:
Mr. Rogers promoted the idea of free-loading and expecting success in life for no effort, . .

The person who posted this would have done far better in life following Mr. Rogers' attitudes toward life and people than his own misguided nonsense.

But you could give us a link. If you can't, the doctrine of affirmative silence condemns your argument as nothing at all.

When some naive do-gooder, with the best intentions in the world, promotes the idea that one is "SPECIAL", simply because one was born, it leads to the mentality that one just be there, do nothing, earn nothing, expect everything, and wealth and fame will automatically will fall on one's lap.

As one who worked for everything I have, I know that life ain't like that. What Mr. Rogers promoted, i.e. that one is "SPECIAL" with no effort, no ambition, no desire, no results, will only result in success if it's backed up and supported by the biggest failure of mankind, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.

When one relies on affirmative action, one is a free-loader.

You mean like Clarence Thomas?

But heck..what would be your solution for slavery and institutional racism?

Me? I would like to have seen the south razed, Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee eviscerated publically with their heads put on stakes and left to be flyblown and Southern Soldiers impaled and left on every roadway in the south. Along with the breakup of farms to be distributed to former slaves. The Confederate flag would been barred on pain of death and even mentioning the southern revolution would mean jailtime.

That probably would have ended lots of problems in this country. But it went a different way. Reconstruction and Jim Crow.

That's why there's affirmative action.

So..what would you have liked to have seen?

As one who worked for everything I have, I know that life ain't like that. What Mr. Rogers promoted, i.e. that one is "SPECIAL" with no effort, no ambition, no desire, no results, will only result in success if it's backed up and supported by the biggest failure of mankind, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.

When one stands on lack of knowledge like you, he falls for a smear job, like on Mr. Rogers. He would support much of what you support, but he would say, "Why did you not bother to research the lies about me, so you could get to the truth? And try to be kind on the way."

The words of Mr. Rogers did all the research I needed.

He told millions of kids that they were "SPECIAL" just because they were.

If that does not imply that just because you are, you have to do nothing, nothing will. Which promotes the mentality of expectation of results for no effort, in other words: free-loading. And affirmative action.

Of course, in your world, the truth is a smear.

Mr. Rogers may have been a distinguished sharp shooter, an all around genius, a person of great wealth and generosity, best promoter of cardigans, a children's idol, the best husband and father, a great lover of arts, etc. etc. etc. he still earned the title of "NAIVE IDIOT" with his statement that all kids are equally special, or something of that sort, which rates right up there in its stupidity with "ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE".

Pity the unfortunate suckers who grew up having swallowed his nonsense about being "SPECIAL" and finding that in REAL life they are and never will be anything of the sort.

UNLESS, of course, the work for it and EARN it.

If you actually believe Fred Rogers was a distinguished sharpshooter in Vietnam, even though his TV show began in 1963 (the same year he graduated from the seminary), then you may want to ruminate a bit before flinging "naive idiot" around. Just sayin'.

I'm a bit too old to have grown up with Mr. Rogers, and you're from Hungary, but the simple fact is that children were despised and abused before that time institutionally if not in the home as well, so I'd say what Fred Rogers was doing was largely psychic damage control.

As for will "never will be anything of the sort", you should probably see a psychologist. That's not a healthy attitude at all.

I guess you missed "may have been" in my reference to Mr. Rogers shooting abilities. No surprise your ilk are undisputed champs of misquoting, quoting out of context and outright lying.

Yes, I am from Hungary, and I was really and truly abused and despised by my parents who had the unmitigated gull to teach me such nonsense as one must earn one's keep, and respect of others by working hard, being honest and expect success only through your own efforts. Mr. Rogers promoted the idea of free-loading and expecting success in life for no effort, and for that he richly deserves the title of "NAIVE IDIOT". Those who think they are special just for being them, according to Mr. Rogers, will NEVER amount to anything in life without abusing and taking advantage of others. Like you, for example.

You are the product of that such stupidly naive mentality. If anyone needs psychological help it's you.

BTW, have you noticed that the second worst President and the most naive 50 year old child both had the proclivity for wearing cardigans?

Perhaps I need to post in Hungarian so that you might have read the part where I said I'm too old to have had Mister Rogers around as a kid (hope that's not too many past participles).
Anyway the rest of your rant simply reveals a bitter old man lashing out at everyone. Fred Rogers must have had you in mind.

I hope not to get shat upon by that unmitigated gull. Because when I'm at the beach I insist the gulls be mitigated. :D

Last edited:
If you actually believe Fred Rogers was a distinguished sharpshooter in Vietnam, even though his TV show began in 1963 (the same year he graduated from the seminary), then you may want to ruminate a bit before flinging "naive idiot" around. Just sayin'.

I'm a bit too old to have grown up with Mr. Rogers, and you're from Hungary, but the simple fact is that children were despised and abused before that time institutionally if not in the home as well, so I'd say what Fred Rogers was doing was largely psychic damage control.

As for will "never will be anything of the sort", you should probably see a psychologist. That's not a healthy attitude at all.

I guess you missed "may have been" in my reference to Mr. Rogers shooting abilities. No surprise your ilk are undisputed champs of misquoting, quoting out of context and outright lying.

Yes, I am from Hungary, and I was really and truly abused and despised by my parents who had the unmitigated gull to teach me such nonsense as one must earn one's keep, and respect of others by working hard, being honest and expect success only through your own efforts. Mr. Rogers promoted the idea of free-loading and expecting success in life for no effort, and for that he richly deserves the title of "NAIVE IDIOT". Those who think they are special just for being them, according to Mr. Rogers, will NEVER amount to anything in life without abusing and taking advantage of others. Like you, for example.

You are the product of that such stupidly naive mentality. If anyone needs psychological help it's you.

BTW, have you noticed that the second worst President and the most naive 50 year old child both had the proclivity for wearing cardigans?

Perhaps I need to post in Hungarian so that you might have read the part where I said I'm too old to have had Mister Rogers around as a kid (hope that's not too many past participles).

Anyway the rest of your rant simply reveals a bitter old man. Fred Rogers must have seen you coming.

I hope that unmitigated gull doesn't fly over my head. That's a good one; I'm gonna be looking for a place to play it :D

Hungarian is strangely beautiful language that dolts like you could never learn, so don't bother.

Since I was raised in Hungary, obviously I have not been under the influence of Mr. Rogers. However, those of us who are happily married and have kids who were born in the 1970's know about Mr. Rogers more than you do. And, indeed, you are too old to have a valid opinion, but mentally you are just a silly little kid.

Don't worry about past participles. I learned English grammar as I learned about the facts of life: I worked for it, unlike you, who took it for granted as you and your ilk does with everything in your pathetic lives.

Yeah, I am a bitter old man, who spent two weeks of my vacation every year from 1992 till 2006 doing charity work with Habitat for Humanity and other organizations. A bitter old man who, when my health still permitted coached youth soccer, played old timer's slow pitch baseball and still have a 175 average in bowling. Yeah, a bitter old man who packed up and moved 1,800 miles to be close to my first grand child, when my daughter announced that the baby was on the way.

You should be as bitter as I. Hopefully, one day you will be as old.

Anyway the rest of your rant simply reveals a bitter old man. Fred Rogers must have seen you coming.

I hope that unmitigated gull doesn't fly over my head. That's a good one; I'm gonna be looking for a place to play it :D

Hungarian is strangely beautiful language that dolts like you could never learn, so don't bother.

Since I was raised in Hungary, obviously I have not been under the influence of Mr. Rogers. However, those of us who are happily married and have kids who were born in the 1970's know about Mr. Rogers more than you do. And, indeed, you are too old to have a valid opinion, but mentally you are just a silly little kid.

Don't worry about past participles. I learned English grammar as I learned about the facts of life: I worked for it, unlike you, who took it for granted as you and your ilk does with everything in your pathetic lives.

Yeah, I am a bitter old man, who spent two weeks of my vacation every year from 1992 till 2006 doing charity work with Habitat for Humanity and other organizations. A bitter old man who, when my health still permitted coached youth soccer, played old timer's slow pitch baseball and still have a 175 average in bowling. Yeah, a bitter old man who packed up and moved 1,800 miles to be close to my first grand child, when my daughter announced that the baby was on the way.

I'll be as old, if I'm not already, but if I ever approach that ^ bitter end I might as well put myself out of my misery.

Your conclusion is still baseless. You're reduced to flinging ad hominem turds and avoiding the point. Somehow your bowling average really doesn't prop up a specious conclusion that promoting self-worth leads to "doing nothing".

You lose. Ciao. :bye1:

Well, I did read that he was--on the internet.

Man, that busts me up that Mr. Rogers wasn't a sharpshooter in Vietnam. A war hero that did his duty, then turned his attentions to making young kids feel good about themselves.

He was one of my heroes. Man it stings.

I also read on the internet that Captain Kangaroo was pretty much a bad-ass at Iwo Jima with the actor Lee Marvin. Marvin said Captain Kangaroo was a hero too.

Is that more internet B. S.?

If I can't believe the internet, what am I to do? Rely on the Federal Government for my info?

What about Santa Claus? Please don't tell me he is an internet legend too.

There is another popular urban legend regarding Mr. Rogers.

He once had his car stolen in a studio parking lot. The theft made big news, and was circulated throughout the area. A few days later he found his car returned with a note on it saying "Sorry. We didn't know the car was yours."

The story is nothing but a legend, but exhibits the feelings people in the area held for Mr. Rogers.

I'll be as old, if I'm not already, but if I ever approach that ^ bitter end I might as well put myself out of my misery.

Your conclusion is still baseless. You're reduced to flinging ad hominem turds and avoiding the point. Somehow your bowling average really doesn't prop up a specious conclusion that promoting self-worth leads to "doing nothing".

Ok, so you think that devoting two weeks of my vacation time to charity work makes me bitter, tell me how many weeks of your vacation time do you devote to charity work?

What, in my post that you quoted was "ad hominem"? Please be specific.

If I were the kind of person you are I would say, YEAH, put yourself out of your obvious misery, but since I can always use a good laugh, I say soldier on!

And, bye the way, Mr. Rogers' advise to kids that they are special, just because they were born, is THE specious nonsense of the history of mankind. In its sheer stupidity it rates right up there with George W. Bush saying that Islam is a religion of peace.

Last edited:

When one stands on lack of knowledge like you, he falls for a smear job, like on Mr. Rogers. He would support much of what you support, but he would say, "Why did you not bother to research the lies about me, so you could get to the truth? And try to be kind on the way."

If that does not imply that just because you are, you have to do nothing, nothing will. Which promotes the mentality of expectation of results for no effort, in other words: free-loading. And affirmative action.

No, your understand of human nature is deficient. Every child is special, every human being is due respect and decency and dignity for his or existence, including you.

You are a misanthrope, which is why you feel the way you do about others. The world is not out of step, you are out of step.

Last edited:

Ok, so you think that devoting two weeks of my vacation time to charity work makes me bitter, tell me how many weeks of your vacation time do you devote to charity work?

If I were the kind of person you are I would say, YEAH, put yourself out of your obvious misery, but since I can always use a good laugh, I say soldier on!

Your "charity work" doesn't make you "bitter"; you posts do.
And bringing up your "charity work" doesn't make you bitter; it makes you a flinger of red herrings because you can't defend your own point. So you run away from it with "charity work" and bowling averages and how far away your granddaughter was born. Oddly, you failed to tell us what color your car is or what you had for lunch last February.

Sorry if 'ad hominem' is a new term for you but you know the practice well already:
  • dolts like you
  • mentally you are just a silly little kid
  • I worked for it, unlike you, who took it for granted as you and your ilk does with everything in your pathetic lives

To be fair, it's ad hominem plus a bonus strawman, since you know zero about me and my "ilk"

So let's review.

You proposed a theory that promoting a sense of self-worth leads to "doing nothing". For that theory you gave no basis. When I asked for one I got a string of ad hominem, a strawman and a whole school of red herrings, from bowling scores to charity work to how far you moved. None of which has jack squat to do with either Fred Rogers or your theory on him.

I just find it ironic that a wag who puts so much energy into tearing people down is this bitter about a man put so much energy into building people up.

His son and daughter in law are friends of mine. This is really ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. Mr. Rogers was not an evil man. Mr. Rogers was the son of one of the founders of RCA Victrola. His father was the R in the RCA. When Mr. Rogers father died the entire city came out to line the streets and bid him farewell - he was known as a generous man who paid the way for many waitresses and others in the community to go to college.

He was fabulously wealthy and owned a 200 yr old home in Nantucket. His sons were very humble men, not flashy, neither was Mr. Rogers, he drove a Chevy Cavalier - I saw it. The problem with Fox News is that they feel they are justified in reporting such lies under the guise of entertainment. It is bitterly cruel and my sympathy goes out to his family and his especially his wife who certainly doesn't need to learn of such nonsense. Very trashy. Fox has no class. - Jeri

Luddley seems to have turned you into a liberal.

No, your understand of language is deficient. Every child is special, every human being is due respect and decency and dignity for his or existence, including you.

You are a misanthrope, which is why you feel the way you do about others. The world is not out of step, you are out of step.

Every child is NOT special. Every human being deserves only the respect that they EARN.

Let's say your kid is on a team of some sport. He/she scores the most runs/goals/points but gets only the same recognition as the slug who was on the team, but sat on his/her fat ass through the entire season. If you would feel that that was OK, I concede, you win, no more discussion about merit between you and me or between you and anybody. Mediocrity is the winner! Hurray!!

You can attack my understanding of English all you want. It is still better than your understanding of any language, any logic, any reason any argument, including the one you were lucky to be born into.

If I were a low moral person like you I would sink into crude profanity at this point.

Good Bye!

P.S. Take a look at the first sentence of your post. Grammar, anyone?

Your "charity work" doesn't make you "bitter"; you posts do.
And bringing up your "charity work" doesn't make you bitter; it makes you a flinger of red herrings because you can't defend your own point. So you run away from it with "charity work" and bowling averages and how far away your granddaughter was born. Oddly, you failed to tell us what color your car is or what you had for lunch last February.

Sorry if 'ad hominem' is a new term for you but you know the practice well already:
  • dolts like you
  • mentally you are just a silly little kid
  • I worked for it, unlike you, who took it for granted as you and your ilk does with everything in your pathetic lives

To be fair, it's ad hominem plus a bonus strawman, since you know zero about me and my "ilk"

So let's review.

You proposed a theory that promoting a sense of self-worth leads to "doing nothing". For that theory you gave no basis. When I asked for one I got a string of ad hominem, a strawman and a whole school of red herrings, from bowling scores to charity work to how far you moved. None of which has jack squat to do with either Fred Rogers or your theory on him.

I just find it ironic that a wag who puts so much energy into tearing people down is this bitter about a man put so much energy into building people up.

OK, Pogo, like the Peruvian Prince said to Pizzarro: YOU WIN. I give up!

I can not compete against your wisdom.

In other words, I will not waste any more time with you.

Last edited:
First honest thing FJO has said in this thread: "I cannot compete against your wisdom."

Forum List

Back