The Elites Vs. The Rest of Us

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    An unraveling of civilization?

Hardly the Best and Brightest by Victor Davis Hanson on National Review Online

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Kind of hard to expect ethical behavior from our political leaders when they are part of the elites themselves.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Exactly the point. The grads of the Ivies seem to lack ethics, whether on Wall Street or The Mall.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    That was one of Victor's more lame efforts.

But that's to be expected. His partisanship has been evident for many years. Now he doesn't even try to conceal it.

The elites are from both (referencing the bipolar nature of US politics) parties.

Victor, who is a member of the elite on the right is having a go at the elite on what passes for the left (the Democratic Party is a right wing party in my view).

Victor has outed himself as a partisan hypocrite. Stick to historical analyses of wars Victor, you just shot your bolt on this one.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree that he's an 'elite', however his criticism was not aimed at the 'left', no matter how you'd like to spin it.

I'd say, this is one of your own more lame attempts at your newfound partisanship.

6. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    I worry about this. If working and middle class people feel screwed over by both parties, new parties eventually may emerge......
    and they may not actually be moderate.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Really? Did you miss the part where he "had a go" at the elites on BOTH sides?

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    When the wealthy of a nation convince themselves that they are the font of all wealth, when the elite convince themselves (and enough of their quislings) that the people ought to be THANKFUL to them -- thankful even when the system is no longer working for the majority of the people -- then that nation is going down.

Do any of you think the above describes the attitude of the former administration and it's supporters?

I sure as hell think it does.

And since during that elitist's administration, the economy went into the crapper, what was thought of as the conventional wisdom (basically the right wings apology for fucking the rest of us) no longer made sense in light of the pain and suffering it was causing for enough Americans, then the TIDE BEGAN TO TURN.

So now we have a POTUS who is (or at least sounds like) a POPULIST instead of an elitist.

It remains to be seen whether or not he can AND WILL, really do something to change the fundamentals which rewarded the capital elite at the expense of labor.

Frankly, while I think his intentions are to help the people and save the economy, I am reasonably sure that when push comes to shove, Obama and Congress will save the economy (of the elite) and let the working class hang in the wind.

I really do not think they'll have much choice.

Because in order to truly help the working class of America, they'd have to stop giving the capital elite every advantage.

And since they feel that the capital elite have the RIGHT to those advantages, since they DEFINE CIVILIZATION, as that situation which gives the capital elite complete control over things, I have to tell you that the changes we can expect to see will essantially be mostly cosmetic.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but the structure of the current bailout seems to be supporting that contention.

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Not sure what to make of Victor's analysis, I usually disagree with his elitist wingnut views and there would be sense in this if he took a second to understand how we got here instead of pointing his partisan finger. Real estate was a bubble, it has been in the past and in a generation or so it will probably be again. So how is it a society protects itself? Does it in this case do that by saying let them do as they please, all will be better in the morning? Hardly, but that is what happened, and just as the GD slowed down the economic engine, this crash has caused a loss of confidence and life is confidence in the end. So people get out there and buy, unlike after 911 when Bush should have raised taxes etc. now is the time to shop. ;)

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    As Hanson inferred, the elites on both sides, whether Wall Street taking millions/billions and abusing their clients trust or Washington elites feeling they can impose taxes on the rest of us, but not pay themselves; the table is set for an eventual confrontation.

I think the Bush administration often acted high handed, while not being conservative at all. What I do see differently then, was criticism from 'the base', whether increasing the troops in Iraq, illegal immigration 'reform', and Dubai port deal. This revision that Bush was 'supported' for any and all his policies, is just that, revisionism.