The disgraceful Jill Scott and 'ESSENCE FEST' treatment of our 'National Anthem'

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Absolutely despicable, but not surprising today.
Apparently, this multi-millionaire was recently a slave, since her word rearranging is all about slavery! And notice that 'ESSENCE' from this point forward will be featuring this "version" of the Anthem.

Jill Scott Changes the Lyrics to the National Anthem, Sparking Controversy​

Grammy award-winning singer and songwriter Jill Scott is facing backlash after she changed the lyrics to the National Anthem at a recent Essence Fest performance. Essence posted her version of the “Star-Spangled Banner” that calls America “home of the slave” to Twitter Wednesday.
Essence called it “the only National Anthem we will be recognizing from this day forward.”

Responses were soon filled with criticism. Lavern Spicer, a Republican who is running for Congress in Florida, called it, “a WOKE rendition of the National Anthem where she changed the lyrics to speak about how oppressed Black people are.”
“For reference, Jill Scott’s net worth is estimated to be $12 MILLION and is likely much higher. In what way is she oppressed?” she added.

Apparently, this multi-millionaire was recently a slave, since her word rearranging is all about slavery! And notice that 'ESSENCE' from this point forward will be featuring this "version" of the Anthem.

The bitch should start her world tour and not come back.

Last edited:
Francis Key's song has only been our national anthem since 1931. That was when everyone was out of work and we needed a patriotism boost to get through the great depression. It probably did help a little bit.

Since it was written in 1814, it's not covered by copyright law. Ignore her version, it's not going to hurt you.

I wish I could have the opportunity to take the pole on which our flag hangs and shove it up her fat ass.

Francis Key's song has only been our national anthem since 1931. That was when everyone was out of work and we needed a patriotism boost to get through the great depression. It probably did help a little bit.

Since it was written in 1814, it's not covered by copyright law. Ignore her version, it's not going to hurt you.
I disagree. Every time a divisive, disgusting thing like this gets national attention it just divides us more. She is an aging singer who wants attention not unlike the washed up actors that come out with insane statements about Trump. Only she is smearing the country.

I disagree. Every time a divisive, disgusting thing like this gets national attention it just divides us more. She is an aging singer who wants attention not unlike the washed up actors that come out with insane statements about Trump. Only she is smearing the country.
I don't know how to explain this to you. But making it into a post on USMB isn't exactly national attention.

Do you think desecrating the flag is just as bad?

That's ridiculous, she didn't record the video for USMB. Hey I'm a songwriter, if I rewrite "We Shall Overcome" with similar "colorful" lyrics, that would be just fine, right?
I'm pretty sure that tune is old enough to be in the public domain.

You could be the next Weird Al Yankovic.

So I went and clicked on the link. I made it as far as "and this place doesn't smile", begrudgingly. The SSB is notoriously difficult for great singers. Could someone post the lyrics 'cause I cannot listen to that lady sing.

Last edited:

Who is she facing backlash from? White racist.

Whoever wrote the lyrics is neither talented nor well informed. Slavery was not considered a moral issue throughout most of human history until the 19th Century. The United States inherited this institution from the British in the 18th Century and abolished it less than 100 years later. Its racial component was largely due to the availability of slaves in Africa and their natural resistance to malaria and other tropical diseases. Unfortunately, this carried over into racial discrimination after the Civil War. Even so, the growth of the US economy was never based on slavery, but on increasing industrial and manufacturing capacity in the Northern States.

Learning from the past does not mean we have to stay there.

Our National Anthem was stolen from a much older drinking song.

Lyrics:
To Anacreon in Heaven, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
That he their inspirer and patron would be;
When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian:
Voice, fiddle, and flute, no longer be mute,
I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
And besides I'll instruct you like me to intwine,
The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine.

Whoever wrote the lyrics is neither talented nor well informed. Slavery was not considered a moral issue throughout most of human history until the 19th Century. The United States inherited this institution from the British in the 18th Century and abolished it less than 100 years later. Its racial component was largely due to the availability of slaves in Africa and their natural resistance to malaria and other tropical diseases. Unfortunately, this carried over into racial discrimination after the Civil War. Even so, the growth of the US economy was never based on slavery, but on increasing industrial and manufacturing capacity in the Northern States.

Learning from the past does not mean we have to stay there.
You mean it only took 100yrs, what are we bitching about?

The bodies of the enslaved served as America’s largest financial asset, and they were forced to maintain America’s most exported commodity. In 60 years, from 1801 to 1862, the amount of cotton picked daily by an enslaved person increased 400 percent. The profits from cotton propelled the US into a position as one of the leading economies in the world, and made the South its most prosperous region. The ownership of enslaved people increased wealth for Southern planters so much that by the dawn of the Civil War, the Mississippi River Valley had more millionaires per capita than any other region.

Forum List

Back