The Dilemma That Is Paul Ryan

I found the piece by Fund (linked on Drudge today, by the way) to be pretty interesting:

Smart Democrats Should Be Worried - By John Fund - The Corner - National Review Online

I especially enjoyed this:
“I have held hundreds of town-hall meetings in my district explaining why we have to take bold reform steps, and I’ve found treating people like adults works,” he told me. “All those ads pushing elderly woman off the cliffs don’t work anymore if you lay out the problem
-- id.

Team Obama is in real trouble.

Fund claims that "smart" Democrats grasp this.
No doubt there are many Democrats rubbing their hands in glee in contemplation of reviving some version of the ad that featured an actor playing Paul Ryan pushing a grandmother in a wheelchair off a cliff. But the smarter ones are worried.
-- id.

I wonder how many of the Democrat regulars at USMB are "smart?"

In politics it is pretty much all conning all.

Tell me did Rayan the economics genius predict a long downturn before 2006?

You assume everyone is as dishonest as Obama......that's not a very good endorsement of your man.

And to answer your question......do your own homework.

so that is either he did not see it coming or I have no idea.
:)

Or do your own homework.....:cool:

I'm not gonna waste a second looking up something you're curious about.

This guy sounds like someone repubs don't want.

Paul Ryan on Bailouts and Government Stimuli
-Voted YES on TARP (2008)
-Voted YES on Economic Stimulus HR 5140 (2008)
-Voted YES on $15B bailout for GM and Chrysler. (Dec 2008)
-Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)

Paul Ryan on Entitlement Programs
-Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
-Voted YES on providing $70 million for Section 8 Housing vouchers. (Jun 2006)
-Voted YES on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)
-Voted YES on Head Start Act (2007)

Paul Ryan on Education
Rep. Ryan went along with the Bush Administration in supporting more federal involvement in education. This is contrary to the traditional Republican position, which included support for abolition of the Department of Education and decreasing federal involvement in education.
-Voted YES on No Child Left Behind Act (2001)

Paul Ryan on Civil Liberties
-Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
-Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
-Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

Paul Ryan on War and Intervention Abroad
-Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
-Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
-Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
-Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)

Congressman Ryan supports the United Nations, the World Trade Organization, federal bailouts, increased federal involvement in education, unconstitutional and undeclared wars, Medicare Part D (a multi trillion dollar unfunded liability), stimulus spending, and foreign aid.

According to Michelle Malkin in 2009, “[Paul Ryan] gave one of the most hysterical speeches in the rush to pass TARP last fall; voted for the auto bailout; and voted with the Barney Frank-Nancy Pelosi AIG bonus-bashing stampede. Milwaukee blogger Nick Schweitzer wrote: ‘He ought to be apologizing for his previous votes, not pretending he was being responsible the entire time, but I don’t see one bit of regret for what he did previously. And I’ll be damned if I’m going to let him get away with it’.”

Source: Republican Liberty Caucus of Wisconsin

Yeah, so what's your point?

Or do you even know?

-Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
-Voted YES on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)

Paul Ryan on Education
Rep. Ryan went along with the Bush Administration in supporting more federal involvement in education. This is contrary to the traditional Republican position, which included support for abolition of the Department of Education and decreasing federal involvement in education.

-Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)

-Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)

Congressman Ryan supports the United Nations, the World Trade Organization, federal bailouts, increased federal involvement in education, unconstitutional and undeclared wars, Medicare Part D (a multi trillion dollar unfunded liability), stimulus spending, and foreign aid.

According to Michelle Malkin in 2009, “[Paul Ryan] gave one of the most hysterical speeches in the rush to pass TARP last fall; voted for the auto bailout; and voted with the Barney Frank-Nancy Pelosi AIG bonus-bashing stampede. Milwaukee blogger Nick Schweitzer wrote: ‘He ought to be apologizing for his previous votes, not pretending he was being responsible the entire time, but I don’t see one bit of regret for what he did previously. And I’ll be damned if I’m going to let him get away with it’.”

Or do you even know?

That is the Paul Ryan dilemma. He doesn't know what to say to/about such a stealth running mate They have not received their talking points just yet

In order to win the Democrats have to put a negative spin on everything Romney and Ryan have done or ever will do........making plenty of shit up as they go.

For Romney and Ryan to win all they have to do is tell the truth and get their message out.

It's not gonna be easy because the press is invested in Obama and they don't like losing. They are gonna try every single trick in the book and even invent some.

Last edited:
Ryan's a fraud. He's hoping no one notices that he wants to end Medicare to achieve...the same spending growth targets Obama has already achieved.

The VP slot calls for competence and experience, not an ideologue whose purpose is to keep the base interested.

True, Ryan explains well conservative economic dogma, thus he and its disciples sound anything but intelligent.

Obama hopes people don't notice because they're bad at math. Smart people understand Ryan. OThers are Democrats.
The Dems' only hope is to re-run nasty commercials filled with lies and distortions. I predicted this was the nastiest campaign we have ever seen. And Team Obama has not disappointed so far.

The Dems' only hope is to re-run nasty commercials filled with lies and distortions. I predicted this was the nastiest campaign we have ever seen. And Team Obama has not disappointed so far.

Linking Romney to the death of that lady was unbelievable.
This is just the beginning of all this and they start off with that.
Sort of gives us a preview of just how nasty/desperate the Democrat party
can be.

Fasten your seat belts folks this is gonna be a hell of a ride.
Look like it might be the nastiest dirtiest political race ever.

Can Obama and his handlers be running scared?

Last edited:

Paul Ryan on Education

Or do you even know?

That Paul Ryan is not the great fiscal conservative hope that republicans are making him out to be. Republicans are projecting an unrealistic image upon him out of sheer delusional desperation.

Fact is he's just another politician like the rest of them, who will say and do anything to win votes. Besides, he's just a VP pick. Who cares what his policies are? His only real job is to convince mental midgets that republicans are still somewhat conservative.

Paul Ryan actually has a degree in Economics (not Law). Maybe, just maybe, he's got a more realistic perspective about things economic than some Harvard Law adjunct. I'm more than willing to give him a chance to influence policy.

Fact is economics deals with facts.

Lawyers tend to deal with opinion and also tend to give a false impression of the facts.

Economics also deals with speculation and perception. It consists of and is controlled by people who have fears, reservations, sometimes optimism and other emotions that go into determinining things economic. Economics is not a science per se with provable theorums and forumulas. Sometimes it's even a guessing game. Why do you think there are so many opinions and so many theories such as trickle down economics (which only works for the rich in most cases)? There are speculative binges that can affect the economy and markets which can over value stocks and create recessions and even depressions when prices come down or plunge to more realisitic levels.

The truth is that no president or Congress than say definitely that their budgets and formulas will improve the economy. They can argue that it will or someone else's won't but it depends on so many factors that it is foolish to think Obama or Romney can change things significantly regarding the economy. One thing that any president and other leadership can do is become so pessimistic and negative that it impacts perception causing a decline OR they can be more optimistic and do things that might cause people to invest more, speculate more and give a boost to the economy.

That's why my choice for president doesn't hinge upon the economy but more on individual rights and freedoms which I think the current crop of republicans in general wants to restrict.

Last edited:
Paul Ryan actually has a degree in Economics (not Law). Maybe, just maybe, he's got a more realistic perspective about things economic than some Harvard Law adjunct. I'm more than willing to give him a chance to influence policy.

Lawyers tend to deal with opinion and also tend to give a false impression of the facts.

Economics also deals with speculation and perception. It consists of and is controlled by people who have fears, reservations, sometimes optimism and other emotions that go into determinining things economic. Economics is not a science per se with provable theorums and forumulas. Sometimes it's even a guessing game. Why do you think there are so many opinions and so many theories such as trickle down economics (which only works for the rich in most cases)? There are speculative binges that can affect the economy and markets which can over value stocks and create recessions and even depressions when prices come down or plunge to more realisitic levels.

The truth is that no president or Congress than say definitely that their budgets and formulas will improve the economy. They can argue that it will or someone else's won't but it depends on so many factors that it is foolish to think Obama or Romney can change things significantly regarding the economy. One thing that any president and other leadership can do is become so pessimistic and negative that it impacts perception causing a decline OR they can be more optimistic and do things that might cause people to invest more, speculate more and give a boost to the economy.

That's why my choice for president doesn't hinge upon the economy but more on individual rights and freedoms which I think the current crop of republicans in general want to restrict.

Was it the current crop that allowed fast and furious to go forward?

No it wasnt........

Your concerns about the GOP doesnt lead you to dem opposites. So what are you going to do?

Eat%20Barrys%20lunch.png

The Dilemma that is Paul Ryan.

After listening to him explain economic theory it's really difficult for anyone to sound intelligent.

It's clear why Obama chose Joe Biden. He gave Obama instant credibility and after listening to Biden give a speech it makes Obama sound intelligent. Obama would never have a running-mate that shows him up. This is why I feel Obama would never drop him and pick up Hillary unless he knew he was gonna lose and he had no choice.

Here is a video where Ryan takes Obama apart in 6 mins. It's clear Obama hasn't a clue what he's talking about........and his only response isn't to give an answer but hand it off to somebody else. It's classic:

Paul Ryan: Hiding Spending Doesn't Reduce Spending - YouTube

Obama Speech - Teleprompter Goes Out - YouTube

Joe Biden Gaffe Blooper Mix - YouTube

Obama's only chance is to tell seniors lies about how Ryan wants to end Medicare. We can call it Obamascare. The truth is against him and he knows it. His only hope is apathy and misinformation.

Read the article........

Articles: Paul Ryan and the Triumph of Math

The debates will be interestng. Romney is not used to using a teleprompter. He thinks standing up. Obama reads standing up. Looking forward to the October debates minus teleprompter moments.

Ryan is quite a guy, isn't he! Yes, I hope he can influence our economic policy and will be at the helm!

When occupying a position like POTUS, it is impossible to know in depth information that covers all facets of the job. So, one will only be as good as the advisers one surrounds oneself with. I think Ryan is a step in the right direction for Romney.

Ryan's a fraud. He's hoping no one notices that he wants to end Medicare to achieve...the same spending growth targets Obama has already achieved.

The VP slot calls for competence and experience, not an ideologue whose purpose is to keep the base interested.

All we have to do is substitute "Obama" for "Ryan" and fill in the blank. We don't need an ideologue whose purpose is to keep the base interested and get enough of the deluded to vote to reelect him because the job of POTUS calls for competence and experience. That's something your messiah and king never had and has failed to acquire during his tenure.

All we have to do is substitute "Obama" for "Ryan" and fill in the blank.

Substitute "Obama" you say? Okay, let me try that again:

"He's hoping no one notices that he wants to end Medicare to achieve...the same spending growth targets Obama has already achieved."

You convinced me. Obama has the superior plan to save Medicare.

That's why my choice for president doesn't hinge upon the economy but more on individual rights and freedoms which I think the current crop of republicans in general want to restrict.

Was it the current crop that allowed fast and furious to go forward?

No it wasnt........

Your concerns about the GOP doesnt lead you to dem opposites. So what are you going to do?

Fast & Furious is something that what I know of it isn't to my liking but there are a lot of things on both sides of the aisle that aren't to my liking so I determine which things are the most important to me or in my own mind and life and sort of "tally them up" figuratively and that's how I decide for whom to vote. So far in the 44 yrs. I've been voting it's been about 50-50 republican and dem. Sorry I don't follow the party line for everything one party or the other does or stands for so that allows me to be critical of each party because both have lots of faults! Last time around when Hillary was dumped, I switched to McCain and Palin for the shabby treatment Hillary got and because I didn't like Obama at that time being an unknown and having participated in that fiasco. But overrriding factors FOR ME have changed my mind about Obama, at least enough to probably vote for him (holding my nose on some issues).

Paul Ryan on Education

Or do you even know?

His point would be the top of his head, if I'm not mistaken.

"He's hoping no one notices that he wants to end Medicare to achieve...the same spending growth targets Obama has already achieved."

Obama is in the process of destroying Medicare and replacing it with Obamacare.

How can you be this dishonest?

There's no such thing as "Obamacare." Climb out from under your bed and change your shorts.

There's Medicare, Medicaid, and a litany of private insurers (e.g. Aetna, Anthem, BCBS, and so on). Just as there always was.

There's no such thing as "Obamacare." Climb out from under your bed and change your shorts.

There's Medicare, Medicaid, and a litany of private insurers (e.g. Aetna, Anthem, BCBS, and so on). Just as there always was.

Not only IS there such a thing as ObamaCare, but due to a moronic and ultimately dishonest majority opinion from the SCOTUS, it survived Constitutional challenge.

And to get it, the President DID raid Medicare by a LOT.

Now, get back under your bed where you can be safe from the nasty monsters of reality.

There's a thread on the Medicare Plan Ryan has proposed. It is not the end of Medicare. :lamo:

Forum List

Back