The decline of Public Pools

My dad loved to go swimming. He would drag us miles and miles to find a place where there were no black people. If he ever saw one we would never go back. A child of segregation he had a deep revulsion to white people and black people swimming in the same place. Many public pools just closed rather then integrate.

cool-story-bro-6-1977117940.jpg

Our town has several public pools, which are great! They are part of our public park system :)
The CNN article, seems to be taken from, or influenced by, an NPR piece, who did this first, back in 2007.
www.npr.org/2007/05/26/10407533/plunging-into-public-pools-contentious-past

From what I can gather, it is based mostly upon this book here;

846804.jpg

Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in America​

"From nineteenth-century public baths to today's private backyard havens, swimming pools have long been a provocative symbol of American life. In this social and cultural history of swimming pools in the United States, Jeff Wiltse relates how, over the years, pools have served as asylums for the urban poor, leisure resorts for the masses, and private clubs for middle-class suburbanites. As sites of race riots, shrinking swimsuits, and conspicuous leisure, swimming pools reflect many of the tensions and transformations that have given rise to modern America."
While I do agree, this Jeff Wiltse is a serious academic, who revealed a real issue, having to do with our major metropolitan cities in the past revolving around desegregation after the 1960s, this is a very old story, which has nothing to do with today, the heat, or most places in America.

It is a more appropriate subject for history of America's big cities, for I am with you, America's medium and small towns still have public pools, where everyone still goes.

Even in my town, where most folks prefer to go to the beach, we have a park with a pool, and an indoor community center where folks can go in the winter to swim when it is five below outside.

The big city governments have much larger budget problems, and I don't think race has anything to do with being able to fund public pools at this point.

Last edited:
But todays society does not care. Pools have moved to backyards and country clubs.
It isn't about, "caring."

Most of the major metropolitan areas that don't have pools? They are run by THE BLUE PARTY silly.

:rolleyes:

Stahp falling for this divide and conquer propaganda.

It does not even affect small towns and cities. It really doesn't, it just isn't true for those parts of the nation.

I'm just a lowly tradesman, and always will be

but i'm witness to children of all race and social status having a grand time together at our town pool

the other day the young boys were showing off how well they could do belly flops (much to the unimpressed young girls) :rolleyes:

seems they've all figure out how to get along

ashame their parents can't.....
~S~

My city has a dozen or so swimming beaches on our lakes, but they are often closed due to water pollution. We have a public pool as well but it is little more than a large wading pool for small children. Even the beaches on the lakes are more for small children as all the piers and diving boards have been removed, for some unknown reason.

This was once crowded with people when it had a large horseshow pier and diving board. This picture was taken in the early summer before the lake weeds and algae take over. The 'boom' is intended to keep lake weeds from the swimming area.
B.B. Clark Beach.JPG

You blame the recent decline in public pools on "A legacy of segregation"? Yeah I guess you Wokesters can blame anything on racism.
Racism is the go to excuse to justify uncivilization. What is it like in an inner city pool?

Right?

Who wants to take their granddaughter to a place that a guy can walk into the girls changing room, strip down while looking at the naked girl children and when you complain about it, you get kicked out instead of him?

More of the fear mongering of the anti-trans bigots
Transexuals want to keep to themselves and be left alone
They are not interested in your granddaughter

More of the fear mongering of the anti-trans bigots
Transexuals want to keep to themselves and be left alone
They are not interested in your granddaughter
Then let them change into their tuck-friendly swimsuit in the the back of their white van and stay out of my granddaughter's changing area.

"He had his penis hanging out around little girls. I confronted the pool about this to let them know that I was uncomfortable with a man using the change room and walking around with his penis hanging out with my daughter in there," the concerned parent said.

"I was then told I could phone the manager but they are protected under the humans right (act). The lifeguard at this time kept asking if he was just changing or if he was staring. What the f*ck difference does that make, he was walking around 12-year-old girls with his penis hanging out."

Ms Jaman asked the trans worker, Clementine Adams, whether they had a penis, before telling them to “get out”.

Speaking about the incident, Ms Jaman said: “I saw a man in a woman's bathing suit watching maybe four or five little girls pulling down their suits in order to use the toilet.

“I asked if he had a penis and he said it was none of my business. I told that man to 'get out right now,” she told KIRO.

But after complaining to aquatics manager Rowen DeLuna, Ms Jaman said she was told: “You're discriminating and you can't use the pool anymore and I'm calling the police.”

Ms Jaman claims she was told that she was banned from the pool “forever” following the incident.

She added: “She didn't ask me what the problem was, if I was okay, nothing about me.

“It was if she was just waiting to pounce on me. It was just stunning.”

You don't have to be a groomer to support this kind of nonsense. You could just be an idiot, or an asshole.

Many people grow up without access to local oceans, lakes and rivers.
Community pools filled that void and was the place children went to cool off and learn to swim

But todays society does not care. Pools have moved to backyards and country clubs.

Those who cannot afford are out of luck
its almost enough to force people to get jobs and a better life

Then let them change into their tuck-friendly swimsuit in the the back of their white van and stay out of my granddaughter's changing area.

"He had his penis hanging out around little girls. I confronted the pool about this to let them know that I was uncomfortable with a man using the change room and walking around with his penis hanging out with my daughter in there," the concerned parent said.

"I was then told I could phone the manager but they are protected under the humans right (act). The lifeguard at this time kept asking if he was just changing or if he was staring. What the f*ck difference does that make, he was walking around 12-year-old girls with his penis hanging out."

Ms Jaman asked the trans worker, Clementine Adams, whether they had a penis, before telling them to “get out”.

Speaking about the incident, Ms Jaman said: “I saw a man in a woman's bathing suit watching maybe four or five little girls pulling down their suits in order to use the toilet.

“I asked if he had a penis and he said it was none of my business. I told that man to 'get out right now,” she told KIRO.

But after complaining to aquatics manager Rowen DeLuna, Ms Jaman said she was told: “You're discriminating and you can't use the pool anymore and I'm calling the police.”

Ms Jaman claims she was told that she was banned from the pool “forever” following the incident.

She added: “She didn't ask me what the problem was, if I was okay, nothing about me.

“It was if she was just waiting to pounce on me. It was just stunning.”

You don't have to be a groomer to support this kind of nonsense. You could just be an idiot, or an asshole.
want to outrage a liberal....tell him its disgusting for grown men to show off their dicks to little kids.....its call pedophillia

Forum List

Back