The Debt Ceiling

To begin with I will agree that the degradation of our credit rating from AAA to AA will only compound the problem of the budget deficit and debt ceiling. We would have to pay higher interest rates giving us an even larger hole to dig out of. This is especially true in our current time of economic recovery in which anything negatively affecting our nation's credit standing and economy will trickle down through all levels of the economy to each and every citizen.

This being said, it does not mean that the government should continue to raise the debt ceiling blindly whenever they "need" to. It is far past due time that the government gets responsible with its budget decisions.

A balanced-budget amendment is a wonderful idea for the future and is not only responsible but makes common sense. If each citizen in a nation has to balance their checkbook, why shouldn't the government have to? However, it is not the time at the moment to try to attach such a dramatic amendment to the constitution on a bill which must be decided in a short amount of time. It would make the bill extremely difficult to pass due to the large amount of support to propose and ratify amendments to the constitution in both Congress and the state legislatures.

You cannot spend your way out of economic hardships. If you are short on money or in debt, stop spending; it is a simple solution. At this point it makes no difference to me who is doing the spending in the government, it simply needs to be reduced and become responsible. I respect the Republicans at the moment for calling for spending cuts at a time when they are needed, and strongly condem the Democrats for sticking to their failed method of economic recovery and personal agendas. When it comes down to the basics, there should not be a debt ceiling increase without a commitment to spending cuts at the same time. Although many do not think the situation is as serious as some Republicans are making it out to be, the American credit rating is in danger of being reduced in around a month. That seems fairly serious to me.

On another note which was previously mentioned, the economy is not uniformly powered by the middle class consumer. The state of the economy reflects all classes of people. It reflects the success of the rich, their willingness to invest back into their businesses and country, their charity to the less fortunate, and their innovation for the future. It contains the rise and fall of those in the middle class, their struggles and their successes, their ability to dictate markets and policy, and their responsible or irresponsible financial decisions on the family level. It shows the drain the poor has on the economy, the unrest caused by their condition, and the strain their entitlement programs has on the rest of nation. Finally it reflects the policies of the government at every level, the level of fiscal responsibility it shows, and the economic innovation whcih is inspired or deterred by those in power.

Yes, in today's world a large part of the economy is driven by the consumer and the decisions that he or she makes regarding the goods and services they perchase on a daily basis. They purchases fuel businesses and at some level dictate which ones succeed and which ones fail. At the basis of the economy, however, is the entrepreneur. The innovators who come together with new and promising ideas. These people drive the nation forward by bringing new ideas, products, and technologies to the forefront of society. Should these individuals succeed and their businesses grow to unexpected levels, they should not be punished for their successes.

In conclusion, it is not one groups fault that we are in the situation we are in now. Everyone is to blame and for a solution to be found Democrats and Republicans must work together to eliminate spending, control our debt, inspire innovation, and allow the economy to flourish once again in the traditional American way. When American citizens feel empowered and supported by those around them and free from governmental obstruction, they will, like they always have, lead us once again to greatness. The government needs to get itself in order so that the rest of us may not be impeded by its failures.

"Gotta Raise da roof y'all!!" That's what all the dimwitted Hopey Changey sheep are yelping these days. But when DA BOOOOOOSH was in there it was "Raising the Debt Ceiling is just evil & wrong." What a bunch of lying dunces. Man,2012 can't get here fast enough.

Obama said today he's willing to talk to Republicans about spending cuts on the issue of raising the debt ceiling. That's good.

The debt ceiling must and will be raised because it could lead to chaos in the financial markets, with the end game possibly similair to the fallout from the collapse of Lehman. Or worse.

In the near future the debt of the United States will reach its approved limit. The raising of the debt ceiling requires a vote by Congress. The current spending of the government will cause this to be reached very soon.

President Obama has stated to Congress that he wasnts a clean bill delivered to him regarding the raising of the debt ceiling. This means that there are no other attachments to the bill such as tax raises or spending cuts.

Although it is important that America's credit standing is upheld, it is equally important that real and responsible action is taken regarding our nation's budget. Simply raising the debt ceiling allows the White House and Demorcratic Senate to spend more. There should be action which acts as proof that the government is moving in the direction of reducing spending and the budget deficit.

What specific actions should be attached to the bill which would ultimately lead to responsible solutions to our current budget deficit problem?

How about we don't raise the debt ceiling. It's not like you or I can reach our limit on our credit cards and just raise our debt ceilings. Raise taxes on the wealth and corporations..bring our jobs back from over seas, raise the minimum wage. People who make more money can pay more in taxes.

How bout some real "Hope & Change?" Lets not raise the Debt Ceiling. Or if we do,lets attach spending cuts to it. Now that would be some real Hope & Change we could believe in.

Have to pass it. Think the economy is bad now? Don't raise the debt ceiling, and our country goes into the tank.

The Obamarrhoidal Solution: In order to spend less ........ spend more !!!

Oh, BTW.......let's fund another ACORN, and clone a few Obamarrhoidal "Community Organizers".

Last edited:
It's like some wise old soul said on the TV this morning. "Why have a debt ceiling at all if you are just going to keep raising it?" Come to think of it, it is pretty damn stupid don't you agree?

No I don't. I agree that its better to pay as you go, like with a Balanced Budget Amendment, don't you agree???

You don't agree? YOu mean you are fine with raising the debt ceiling ?? then why have one?

Obama said today he's willing to talk to Republicans about spending cuts on the issue of raising the debt ceiling. That's good.

The debt ceiling must and will be raised because it could lead to chaos in the financial markets, with the end game possibly similair to the fallout from the collapse of Lehman. Or worse.

Toroshit,

As usual, you are spreading your never-ending distortions and outright toroshit.

The Debt Ceiling can be accomplished on a SLIDING SCALE, taking care of certain obligations depending on their importance....THAT IS THE CRUCIAL FACTOR that an obfuscating arsehole like you is not mentioning in order to pursue the policy of destroying America.

It's like some wise old soul said on the TV this morning. "Why have a debt ceiling at all if you are just going to keep raising it?" Come to think of it, it is pretty damn stupid don't you agree?

No I don't. I agree that its better to pay as you go, like with a Balanced Budget Amendment, don't you agree???

You don't agree? You mean you are fine with raising the debt ceiling ?? then why have one?

Do you agree its better to have a limit on a credit card or not?
My first choice is to cut-up the credit card. (Balanced budget amendment)
My second choice is to put a low limit on it. (aka debt ceiling, just to call attention to the Debt)

(my position is not to raise the debt limit, its to cut spending and raise revenue as necessary)

Last edited:

Toroshit,

As usual, you are spreading your never-ending distortions and outright toroshit.

The Debt Ceiling can be accomplished on a SLIDING SCALE, taking care of certain obligations depending on their importance....THAT IS THE CRUCIAL FACTOR that an obfuscating arsehole like you is not mentioning in order to pursue the policy of destroying America.

gaytardma

Lots of things "can be accomplished" with compromise, you idiot. Now stop drooling on your keyboard, let the nice lady in the white coat give you your lithium, and let one of the other patients use the Internet.

In the near future the debt of the United States will reach its approved limit. The raising of the debt ceiling requires a vote by Congress. The current spending of the government will cause this to be reached very soon.

President Obama has stated to Congress that he wasnts a clean bill delivered to him regarding the raising of the debt ceiling. This means that there are no other attachments to the bill such as tax raises or spending cuts.

Although it is important that America's credit standing is upheld, it is equally important that real and responsible action is taken regarding our nation's budget. Simply raising the debt ceiling allows the White House and Demorcratic Senate to spend more. There should be action which acts as proof that the government is moving in the direction of reducing spending and the budget deficit.

What specific actions should be attached to the bill which would ultimately lead to responsible solutions to our current budget deficit problem?

Not going to get into specifics. Suffice to say, after the joke that just happened on the budget deal (only 38 Billion with 10 of that from the last CR) The Republicans better get something out of extending the Debt Limit, or they are toast.

Toroshit,

gaytardma

Lots of things "can be accomplished" with compromise, you idiot. Now stop drooling on your keyboard, let the nice lady in the white coat give you your lithium, and let one of the other patients use the Internet.

Toroshit,

As usual, you're missing the point, you fucking Obamarrhoidal arsehole.

The point being made that not raising the Debt Ceiling doesn't automatically mean that the country tanks. Mail will function, the Military will get paid, the more important financial obligations will be met etc.......and the LIEBTARDS will be forced to face the Nation with their RIDICULOUS SPENDING BINGE which is NON-SUSTAINABLE BECAUSE AT THE $14 TRILLION+ mark THE COUNTRY IS FUCKING BANKRUPT !!!!

Perhaps just having a debt ceiling is good because if forces another round of debate on spending programs.

Parks service employees dont seem like they make much....

Hmmm, looking for ideas...

Toroshit,

As usual, you're missing the point, you fucking Obamarrhoidal arsehole.

The point being made that not raising the Debt Ceiling doesn't automatically mean that the country tanks. Mail will function, the Military will get paid, the more important financial obligations will be met etc.......and the LIEBTARDS will be forced to face the Nation with their RIDICULOUS SPENDING BINGE which is NON-SUSTAINABLE BECAUSE AT THE $14 TRILLION+ mark THE COUNTRY IS FUCKING BANKRUPT !!!!

gaytardma

You are a drooling moron with an unhealthy scatological obsession. Are your doctors at the sanatorium aware of this obsession?

I'll explain it to you, gaytardma. But because you're an insane raving lunatic obsessed with what comes out of bodily cavities, I doubt you'll understand it.

The government will spend $3.8 trillion. It will take in $2.2 trillion. That means the government must issue $1.6 trillion in debt this year. If the government does not raise the debt ceiling, it must cut $1.6 trillion from its budget, or $130 billion a month, which is equivalent to 9% of GDP. That means the economy will start to contract at an annualized rate of 11%, double the rate of the contraction of the last recession. $1.6 trillion is not going to suddenly appear out of nowhere to replace that lost spending. The economy would start to contract at a rate faster than it did during the financial crisis.

We are going to spend $200 billion on interest costs this year. Making the highly questionable assumption that the non-governmental economy will still grow 3% this year while the government contracts at 11%, tax revenues will be $2 trillion. $800 billion will go to social security. $800 billion will go to medicare and medicaid. $800 billion will go to defense. On those three things alone, we are at $2.4 trillion. Don't believe me? Here is the budget. So we have to cut $400 billion from social security, medicare, medicaid and defense and every single other thing the government does if we don't raise the debt ceiling.

Now here's where it gets interesting. If I am a large holder of US bonds, i.e. a foreigner, who do I think is going to get stiffed? Old people? The troops? Or bondholders? Who has more political capital?

In fact, it doesn't even matter what the answer is. All I, as a large bondholder, have to do is ponder that question. Because if I think I, as a bondholder, am further down the priority list compared to old people and the troops, I'm not going to stick around. I'm going to start selling my bonds, which will mean higher interest rates. This is where you could get a dollar crisis if there is a run on US bonds because bondholders think they're going to get stiffed.

The risk is enormous.

So you see, gaytardma, the debt ceiling is going to get raised. Drooling insane nutters like yourself aside, neither the Republican party nor the Democrat party are that stupid.

Last edited:
The argument is that to be fiscally responsible, the limit must be raised and more borrowing allowed.
For some, this makes sense, more sense even than reducing spending to the point that the debt limit is a moot topic.

Just don't go off the deep end. The Clinton years had a balanced budget. None of our aircraft carriers rusted out. We did ok.

Playing the game of who will blink first with the debt ceiling is a dangerous game. We have ideologues on both sides that would rather see the country fall, than back down. We have said that our greatest enemy is Russia, or China, or North Korea, or the terrorist but ironically, what may be our greatest enemy is ourselves.

Forum List

Back