The Death Of Education

An 1895 8th Grade Final Exam: I Couldn't Pass It. Could You?
BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010
An old pal from Brandeis—Sheldon Gray—has a knack for the ironic. He's very well educated, and so am I. But I don't know whether we could pass this test, from 1895 in what looks like a little red schoolhouse in Salina, Kansas, at all. Let alone with flying colors.

What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895...

Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas , USA .. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, and reprinted by the Salina Journal.

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
7-10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time, 1.25 hours)

1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $.20 per inch?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)

1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865?

Orthography (Time, one hour)

1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic orthography, etymology, syllabication?
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u'.
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e'. Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, super.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)

1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of N.A.
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.

False.

Do you have any answers from real newspapers that aren't apologists for government school?

This was well-known hoax from way back when I was teaching. I am truly sorry that you were so gullible. My money would be on your not being able to score a 50%. I know I would not because none of that is important in my daily life.

"8th Grade Examination from late 1800's
Received this from Jason today, a pledge brother of mine and one of the only card-carrying Mensa members I've ever known up close. I'm sure he scored well, but I'm not promising anything on my end, especially now that I have to understand what "syllabication" and "diacritical marks" are. Pull out a slate and some chalk and see how you do!:
Macarthurws1_jpgRemember when our grandparents, great-grandparents, and such stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. - - -

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina, KS, USA. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, KS, and reprinted by the Salina Journal. Students were given 5 hours to complete the test."

That is cute, considering Salina(s) KS does not exist. The county in Kansas is Saline. How many other errors are there?

Let's review what you and your ilk have to apologize to America for......

"U.S. Students Show No Improvement in Math, Reading, Science on International Exam

Most troubling among the results was that an international performance gap in education is widening.

By Lauren Camera, Senior Education WriterDec. 3, 2019, at 3:00 a.m.

After those results were released, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, who has long bemoaned the U.S. performance on the exam, slammed the K-12 education establishment for allowing students to fall behind in math and reading without fully taking advantage of the types of "education freedom" at the heart of the Trump administration's agenda.

She did the same Tuesday in reacting to the PISA scores.

"The bottom line is there has not been a single study that shows American education is improving enough," DeVos said in a statement. "Scores have flatlined for a decade. Worse yet, scores for our most vulnerable students continue to decline. We are being outpaced not only by our global competitors like China and Russia, but also by countries like Estonia, Finland and Canada."

Take the blinders off, you moron......this is what the Left has done to American education.

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010
An old pal from Brandeis—Sheldon Gray—has a knack for the ironic. He's very well educated, and so am I. But I don't know whether we could pass this test, from 1895 in what looks like a little red schoolhouse in Salina, Kansas, at all. Let alone with flying colors.

Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas , USA .. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, and reprinted by the Salina Journal.

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
7-10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $.20 per inch?
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?

7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865?

1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic orthography, etymology, syllabication?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e'. Name two exceptions under each rule.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, super.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.

False.

Do you have any answers from real newspapers that aren't apologists for government school?

This was well-known hoax from way back when I was teaching. I am truly sorry that you were so gullible. My money would be on your not being able to score a 50%. I know I would not because none of that is important in my daily life.

Received this from Jason today, a pledge brother of mine and one of the only card-carrying Mensa members I've ever known up close. I'm sure he scored well, but I'm not promising anything on my end, especially now that I have to understand what "syllabication" and "diacritical marks" are. Pull out a slate and some chalk and see how you do!:
Macarthurws1_jpgRemember when our grandparents, great-grandparents, and such stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. - - -

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina, KS, USA. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, KS, and reprinted by the Salina Journal. Students were given 5 hours to complete the test."

That is cute, considering Salina(s) KS does not exist. The county in Kansas is Saline. How many other errors are there?

"U.S. Students Show No Improvement in Math, Reading, Science on International Exam

Most troubling among the results was that an international performance gap in education is widening.

After those results were released, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, who has long bemoaned the U.S. performance on the exam, slammed the K-12 education establishment for allowing students to fall behind in math and reading without fully taking advantage of the types of "education freedom" at the heart of the Trump administration's agenda.

"The bottom line is there has not been a single study that shows American education is improving enough," DeVos said in a statement. "Scores have flatlined for a decade. Worse yet, scores for our most vulnerable students continue to decline. We are being outpaced not only by our global competitors like China and Russia, but also by countries like Estonia, Finland and Canada."

Take the blinders off, you moron......this is what the Left has done to American education.

You obviously know nothing about this test and how these tests are compiled. How many of those countries have significant minority populations? None?

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

False.

You obviously know nothing about this test and how these tests are compiled. How many of those countries have significant minority populations? None?

I didn't ask for your spin on why American education has fallen to the levels it has.....I simply stated that apologists for this and apparatchiks of the Left.....you.......need to get down on your knees in penitential prostration to America.

Do it now.

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

False.

I didn't ask for your spin on why American education has fallen to the levels it has.....I simply stated that apologists for this and apparatchiks of the Left.....you.......need to get down on your knees in penitential prostration to America.

Do it now.

Fuck you and the unicorn you rode in on.

The death of education is the rise of unregulated home schools

Look at me! I is a Teecher!
Sadly, education is merely passing on of knowledge- the knowledge you're passing on is not quite complete- similar in style to our very own, beloved by all, I'm sure, PoliticalChic, as in one sided as though you get to make the determination for all- similar to Public Education dogma presented by bureaucrats who attended the Public Schools which are known failures with lots of hard evidence to support that conclusion, which has given rise to Home Schools-
Sadly, the RNC hasn't provided, our very own, beloved by all, I'm sure, PoliticalChic the part about intellectual honesty and it appears your sources for knowledge did the same-

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

I could have passed that test in the 8th grade if that is what I was taught and that is what I studied for.

The test does not cover algebra or geometry only simple arithmetic. I did not have arithmetic after seventh grade
It is also lacking world history, Biology, Chemistry, Physics all of which I had prior to the 8th grade
There is no requirement to discuss great novels or poetry which I had to read. Only grammar, vocabulary and spelling.
There are also no questions about birth control that I learned in 8th grade. Kids in 1895 got married at 16, they need to know that stuff

Last edited:
bahahahahah! What a load of unmitigated horse excrement. Simply amazing that a trumplodyte has the gall to claim Dems do not have the literary backing for their beliefs, when little trumpies very well may be the most ignorant, uneducated, self-delusional f-tards to ever come down the pike. The only way they can still reconcile their support for him is through that ignorance and stupidity.

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

False.

Do it now.

And this is the level of many of those called 'teachers' today.

Is it any wonder the shame our education system has fallen to.

bahahahahah! What a load of unmitigated horse excrement. Simply amazing that a trumplodyte has the gall to claim Dems do not have the literary backing for their beliefs, when little trumpies very well may be the most ignorant, uneducated, self-delusional f-tards to ever come down the pike. The only way they can still reconcile their support for him is through that ignorance and stupidity.

Can you provide the three or four books from which you have gleaned your geopolitical positions????

Just three or four......

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

False.

Do it now.

So called “teechers” are teaching home school

No training, no accountability

Can you provide the three or four books from which you have gleaned your geopolitical positions????

Just three or four......
I have gleaned my geopolitical position reading USMB

Just three or four......
I have gleaned my geopolitical position reading USMB
Of that I have no doubt. :auiqs.jpg:

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

I could have passed that test in the 8th grade if that is what I was taught and that is what I studied for.

The test does not cover algebra or geometry only simple arithmetic. I did not have arithmetic after seventh grade
It is also lacking world history, Biology, Chemistry, Physics all of which I had prior to the 8th grade
There is no requirement to discuss great novels or poetry which I had to read.

Which ones?

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

False.

Do it now.

Yes, you are the perfect example of educational malpractice. Let me guess! Homeschooled?

Just three or four......

Books went out of schools with the invention of the Internet, or hadn't you noticed? That type of reading is found at the college level by political science majors only.

Just three or four......

Books went out of schools with the invention of the Internet, or hadn't you noticed? That type of reading is found at the college level by political science majors only.

So when the power goes out, or the comp breaks, or the IP has a cramp, education stops.

Just three or four......

So when the power goes out, or the comp breaks, or the IP has a cramp, education stops.

Yep! Many of my classrooms didn't even have windows. Try reading in the dark.

One Spring day we lot power, and I took my small math class outside and taught on the picnic tables.

BY MARTIN PERETZ
November 28, 2010

8th Grade Final Exam:

Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

There is no requirement to discuss great novels or poetry which I had to read.

Which ones?
We had to read Shakespeare in 8th grade, Walt Whitman, Sandburg

Forum List

Back