The Continuing Saga of Bobby Knight

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
Bob Knight rejected an invitation to Indiana University to attend his: induction into the Hall of Fame

Although Bobby did not turn down the honor, he explained in a letter why he wouldn’t make the trip to IU where he spent almost 3-decades as head basketball coach. In his letter, in part he said:

“The attention and speculation relative to my attending your Hall of Fame induction would be greatly increased if I were to do so. I think this approach from the media would take a great deal away from the other people being inducted, and I don’t think it would be right for this to happen.

In addition to this, I just have too much negative feeling toward some people and the things they did or did not do during my last few years and who had no understanding of either athletics or honesty.....”

Highlights from the Hall induction | The Hoosier Scoop: Indiana University Hoosiers Basketball, Football, and more

Just days before, he had ordered a $75,000 check returned to the I.U. Board of Trustees. On Tuesday, Knight released a statement saying he will return a $75,000 check sent last week by Indiana officials as a settlement offer.

"Indiana University has refused for nine years to take care of their obligation in this matter," Knight said in a statement released by ESPN, for whom he now works. "I did not know until yesterday [Monday] that this check was sent to my attorney. Upon finding out about it, I immediately gave him instructions to send the check back."

Bob Knight says he won't accept check to settle suit against Indiana University - ESPN

Bobby coached the Texas Tech Raider basketball team at Texas Tech University in Lubbock Texas from 2001 to 2008, when he retired

I think this approach from the media would take a great deal away from the other people being inducted, and I don’t think it would be right for this to happen.

He's right, good for him realizing so.

Good for Bobby.

When a Boilermaker admires him, that's something, too.

There was one flare up not known except amongst the Town and Gown here at IU. Around here, Bloomington and Monroe County, Bobby was more admired by the folks outside the academic community than in it.

For a while some IU professors, jealous of his pay, his perks, his fame, and the admiration he enjoyed complained that he wasn’t “teaching;” never mind his determination to see that all his players applied themselves to their studies and actually graduated. When this fuss made its way into the local newspapers and Bobby was asked by a reporter about not actually teaching, he said something like “Let the professors take care of their petunias at the old library, (and let me coach the team).”

I personally never had an interest in basketball, other than seeing it and Bobby as an attraction for our community as a real estate destination. In 1987 Bobby moved into a very secluded neighborhood I was developing (on the West side), and remained a resident until his termination in 2000, so to me he was mostly just a friendly neighbor.

Good for Bobby.

When a Boilermaker admires him, that's something, too.

There was one flare up not known except amongst the Town and Gown here at IU. Around here, Bloomington and Monroe County, Bobby was more admired by the folks outside the academic community than in it.

For a while some IU professors, jealous of his pay, his perks, his fame, and the admiration he enjoyed complained that he wasn’t “teaching;” never mind his determination to see that all his players applied themselves to their studies and actually graduated. When this fuss made its way into the local newspapers and Bobby was asked by a reporter about not actually teaching, he said something like “Let the professors take care of their petunias at the old library, (and let me coach the team).”

I personally never had an interest in basketball, other than seeing it and Bobby as an attraction for our community as a real estate destination. In 1987 Bobby moved into a very secluded neighborhood I was developing (on the West side), and remained a resident until his termination in 2000, so to me he was mostly just a friendly neighbor.
See, that is what I find so hypocritical about the administration at IU. Knight was one of the few coaches who actually DID teach his players. He had no tolerance for academic slacking and no tolerance for bad character in his players. He really did teach them how to be men of character, along with being players. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think every single player under him actually got their degree (or that may just be an urban legend). Even so, at least most of his players did graduate and other coaches do not have that sort of record.

That's why I respect him.

Last edited:
For a while some IU professors, jealous of his pay, his perks, his fame, and the admiration he enjoyed complained that he wasn’t “teaching;” never mind his determination to see that all his players applied themselves to their studies and actually graduated.
See, that is what I find so hypocritical about the administration at IU. Knight was one of the few coaches who actually DID teach his players. He had no tolerance for academic slacking and no tolerance for bad character in his players. He really did teach them how to be men of character, along with being players. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think every single player under him actually got their degree (or that may just be an urban legend). Even so, at least most of his players did graduate and other coaches do not have that sort of record.

That's why I respect him.

While I dislike speaking badly of the dead, Miles Brand, then IU President who oversaw the debacle with Knight and the NCAA, was then promoted to head up the NCAA soon after he saw to it that Knight was "fired." This is another example of promoting losers to top positions after they have failed except for exhibiting their good intentions.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back