The college scam

College now is about selling dreams that won't happen. Mediocre law schools let many students in with low scores water down classes so students pass and charge a fortune to students who just have average intelligence knowing full well these students won't make it as lawyers because they don't have the brains to be s good lawyer.

You see this in many degrees from average universities. They should be honest and say to the student based on your ability we think you would have more success as a truck driver or a plumber your not smart enough to be an accountant. But schools instead water down classes so students pass because they want money and could care less if student will make it in real world.

I am a OTR truck driver and have a master's degree I learned my lesson the hard way.
Yes, we have such lousy universities in the US. That is why students from all over the world come to the US to go to university. That is why a university degree from the US is prized by employers world wide, because we have such lousy schools.

Those students usually don't pick basket-weaving lesbian Studies.
And neither do the vast majority if American students. You people are blaming the schools when the responsibility is with the student. Getting a degree is not like a mother bird dropping worms down the throat of her chicks. The student has to make the necessary effort and right choices. Obviously, if foreign students can make successful careers out of US college degrees, than American students can too. It's just very obvious. It isn't the fault of the school, it is the fault of the student.

College now is about selling dreams that won't happen. Mediocre law schools let many students in with low scores water down classes so students pass and charge a fortune to students who just have average intelligence knowing full well these students won't make it as lawyers because they don't have the brains to be s good lawyer.

You see this in many degrees from average universities. They should be honest and say to the student based on your ability we think you would have more success as a truck driver or a plumber your not smart enough to be an accountant. But schools instead water down classes so students pass because they want money and could care less if student will make it in real world.

I am a OTR truck driver and have a master's degree I learned my lesson the hard way.
Yes, we have such lousy universities in the US. That is why students from all over the world come to the US to go to university. That is why a university degree from the US is prized by employers world wide, because we have such lousy schools.

And neither do the vast majority if American students. You people are blaming the schools when the responsibility is with the student. Getting a degree is not like a mother bird dropping worms down the throat of her chicks. The student has to make the necessary effort and right choices. Obviously, if foreign students can make successful careers out of US college degrees, than American students can too. It's just very obvious. It isn't the fault of the school, it is the fault of the student.

Grants are not loans. When a student that should never have been admitted into the school inevitably defaults on their student loan, the government picks up the tab. You really can't see the big picture, can you?
`
I stand corrected. Pell grants are not loans. To that extend, yes, many have taken advantage of them. Debit Card and PELL Grant Scams Ramping Up But that's not my issue. My point is that the academic standards for graduation have not been lowered, as some have alleged.

Well, in theory, if you want to go to university you should have the ability to make such decisions for yourself. Having a law degree and not making it as a lawyer is no big deal. There are jobs in the police and around crime enforcement that also require law degrees. Not everyone gets a law degree, but having the chance to make it isn't a bad thing.

Ah, blame the victim....

By offering these degrees in numbers that they KNOW are beyond the requirements out in the workplace the schools are 100% complicit in this. I blame them, and the students, anjd the parents, and the government for making this all possible.

They schools should TELL the students that your degree in Philosophy is an academic track degree for the most part, and unless you plan on getting a PhD and teaching it, your career options are limited.

Grants are not loans. When a student that should never have been admitted into the school inevitably defaults on their student loan, the government picks up the tab. You really can't see the big picture, can you?
`
I stand corrected. Pell grants are not loans. To that extend, yes, many have taken advantage of them. Debit Card and PELL Grant Scams Ramping Up But that's not my issue. My point is that the academic standards for graduation have not been lowered, as some have alleged.

I never claimed they had. Academic standards for admission, on the other hand, have.

The schools don't care about the students graduating, it's getting them in to get the money from the gov't-backed loans.

Virginia and North Carolina colleges to lower admission requirements

Federal Researchers Find Lower Standards in Schools

Oh...what would we do without the strawman?

Are you related to Big Ears?
I have just retired from 30 years of teaching--university & community college in the States and an international college prep high school program for 11th and 12th graders. I taught that program for 14 years in international schools. The first choice for most graduates of the program, who are from around the world, is either the UK or the US for their university studies. Our program, which has extremely high standards, is highly prized by universities around the world, including the US, schools that are hard to get into. I know from personal, direct experience thst US university degrees are highly valued by employers around the world and that a student will get what he or she puts into college studies.

I have just retired from 30 years of teaching--university & community college in the States and an international college prep high school program for 11th and 12th graders. I taught that program for 14 years in international schools. The first choice for most graduates of the program, who are from around the world, is either the UK or the US for their university studies. Our program, which has extremely high standards, is highly prized by universities around the world, including the US, schools that are hard to get into. I know from personal, direct experience thst US university degrees are highly valued by employers around the world and that a student will get what he or she puts into college studies.

Means nothing. So what if foreigners THINK it is valuable? This in no way proves that the education provided today is as good as it was decades ago, nor does it dispute that the cost has become prohibitive.

Trump...Trump...Trump.LMFAO
`
Judge Approves $25 Million Settlement Of Trump University Lawsuit - "A federal judge has approved a $25 million settlement deal between President Trump and students who paid for Trump University real estate seminars, bringing lengthy litigation to a close.The deal, which calls for Trump to reimburse the students who say they were defrauded, was struck in November but needed approval from U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel. He signed off on the settlement Friday in San Diego"

Means nothing. So what if foreigners THINK it is valuable? This in no way proves that the education provided today is as good as it was decades ago, nor does it dispute that the cost has become prohibitive.

The reason why many foreigners think it's valuable is because the education in other countries isn't so good.

But other countries might be catching up, or at least directing their students towards skills that are necessary.

The point is that we have some of the best universities in the world. And generally speaking, better than most around the world. It is what you put into it. My nephew, an American, is a dentist now with a successful practice, making a very good income. He went to an average state school that gets more recognition of sports than academics, but he worked hard. He's not extremely intelligent, but he put in what was needed and works hard at his career. Success is what you put into things, not what is spoon fed you.

The point is that we have some of the best universities in the world. And generally speaking, better than most around the world. It is what you put into it. My nephew, an American, is a dentist now with a successful practice, making a very good income. He went to an average state school that gets more recognition of sports than academics, but he worked hard. He's not extremely intelligent, but he put in what was needed and works hard at his career. Success is what you put into things, not what is spoon fed you.

No one disputes that we have some of the best universities in the world. Why the straw man argument?

This does not in any way, disprove that many of our colleges and universities are not very good and nearly all are cost prohibitive.

The reason why many foreigners think it's valuable is because the education in other countries isn't so good.

But other countries might be catching up, or at least directing their students towards skills that are necessary.
DIRECTING STUDENTS TOWARDS WHAT IS NECESSARY. That is essentially my point, But schools in the US are not focused on silly courses; however, humanities and art courses are essential. What good is engineering, medicine, dentistry, business when we have no sense of art and culture? Students need to choose good schools and good professors; they need to work hard and understand their own goals. You people think that education is like trade school, just preparing people for a job. Education, a good edcuation, is far more than that.

You forgot housing...colleges across the nation can't build quad complexes fast enough...they "rent" out a quad apartment (one living space, one tiny kitchenette, 4 tiny bedrooms) between $450 - $600 a month per student. That is between $1800/mo to $2400 a month for 600 sq ft. units.

And books, which can set you back a cool million dollars per quarter.

Trump...Trump...Trump.LMFAO
`
Judge Approves $25 Million Settlement Of Trump University Lawsuit - "A federal judge has approved a $25 million settlement deal between President Trump and students who paid for Trump University real estate seminars, bringing lengthy litigation to a close.The deal, which calls for Trump to reimburse the students who say they were defrauded, was struck in November but needed approval from U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel. He signed off on the settlement Friday in San Diego"
If you think only for-profit colleges are the problem. You are incapable of thinking.

No one disputes that we have some of the best universities in the world. Why the straw man argument?

This does not in any way, disprove that many of our colleges and universities are not very good and nearly all are cost prohibitive.
On average, our college and universities are better than most in the world. That is the truth.

You forgot housing...colleges across the nation can't build quad complexes fast enough...they "rent" out a quad apartment (one living space, one tiny kitchenette, 4 tiny bedrooms) between $450 - $600 a month per student. That is between $1800/mo to $2400 a month for 600 sq ft. units.

And books, which can set you back a cool million dollars per quarter.
Good point.

The most expensive college text book when I was in college in the 80s, was $20. When my son was in college a few years ago, some text books cost hundreds of dollars.

Aren't those wonderful LWNJ professors who write these textbooks amazingly magnanimous?

Forum List

Back