The civil rights of homosexuals

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by alan1, Apr 11, 2009.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Name the civil rights violations specifically targeted at homosexuals.

I’ll give you the military’s decision to kick out homosexuals as a first shot, so let’s just ignore that one.

Other than that, name one civil right that is different for homosexuals than it is for heterosexuals. (United States laws only please) Use caution when you reply, this has to be a civil right that only affects homosexuals and not anybody else.

2. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    Does liberty and the pursuit of happiness count?

3. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Sure does.

4. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Still waiting.

5. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    Well, if marrying the person you love falls under the pursuit of happiness, then that would be how their civil rights are being violated.

6. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    How so?
    The pursuit of happiness is granted, not happiness itself.
    Even heterosexuals cannot marry somebody of the same sex, regardless of how happy it might make them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I disagree with that, and this is the only one they need to have complete equal rights. Marriage has been trampled on for decades by straight people, and no one ever complained, many do not even marry for love at all now (heard a few admit it, and a couple on here as well). The contract should be completely unique to the religious aspect, and once that is done then it would be a civil right. What I find funny is so many people are so against this for some reason, and yet more than half marriages end in divorce, often to the detriment of the children, and they think that allowing people to marry who they love would do any harm to their "sanctity". I see it as fear, fear that the gay couples will show them up with a much lower divorce rate, fewer uses of children as "bargaining chips" in said divorces, and fewer custody battles. If however marriage maintains the religious aspect then there should be no legal rights or obligations to all those in it. Either way I would be happy and drop the whole issue.

Yes, I am selfishly using the fight for gay equal rights to prove a point, but it's an important one that will ultimately improve our country no matter how it is resolved if it is resolved properly.

8. ItsFairmont

ItsFairmont Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Pursuit of happiness is not a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. It's a line from the Declaration of Independence, which is not a list of laws.

It's a divorce letter to Britain.

There is no law that says you have the right to pursue happiness, unless you consider the 9th Amendment. It states, essentially, that you have other rights that are not specifically mentioned by the Bill of Rights.

I think gays should be allowed to marry if they can prove it's biologically normal for homosexuality to occur. Personally, I actually have friends who are gay, but I think it's a birth defect of some kind. It's a bummer, but that's what I think it is.

Hey, nobody's perfect. I grew up with athsma, a condition so bad it's even hard to spell. And then I also suffer from anxiety, which of course can be lessened with medication, exercise, proper nutrition, and comedy.

Can homosexuality, if genetic, be cured? If it's a genetic thing (like most gays assert), then perhaps it can be fixed in vitro. That may sound arrogant to say, but what if it could be treated in vitro?

If the OB/GYN said, "Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs" (remember, all gays are born from a man and woman), "your son has a genetic predisposition toward homosexuality, but we can treat it in vitro and he will most likely be heterosexual."

What would most couples choose to do?

I think they would choose straight. It's the normal biological way.

That said, anyone who mistreats another person because of sexual orientation is a bigot and is, perhaps, compensating for the fact that he or she may be gay as well. This has been shown in a study, the most recent from the University of Georgia.

9. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    What part of my statement are you disagreeing with?

10. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Sorry, the last part.