The Church And The Origins Of Western Civilization

The only time I can imagine someone who wants an abortion is when she feels she isn't ready to be a mother or give birth. ...

Well, those certainly sound like life or death circumstances...........

Quality of life for the child, the mother, the family, and our society are valid circumstances when considering to terminate a fetus. A fetus, by current medical standards and law, is not a person.

"...is not a person."

But we both know it is, don't we.

A separate individual with a life.

Abortions are generally the last resort. ...

No, they are not.

When birth control is too late, when chemical abortifacients are too late, and when the mother is unwilling to give birth and give up the child, there is only one last resort to choose between motherhood and not.

"... when the mother is unwilling to give birth ..."

Well, then, by all means....kill it.

Why doesn't the same logic apply if, say, her upstairs neighbor played the piano and it distracted her from doing her schoolwork.
An inconvenience.
Kill him?

Christians being thrown to the lions is a myth.

And the Christians had no problem with witch burnings and public executions of heretics. Thousands of their fellow Christians were slaughtered in wars between the Catholics and heretics such as the Monophysites and the Arians.

You should have stuck it out to 4th grade, Comrade Stalin.

{
According to the historian Tacitus, Christians during Nero's time (at least) were mainly torn apart by dogs, crucified, or burned alive — no mention of lions. The Romans did throw people to lions on occasion, and Tertullian, writing later, remarks that the Romans were always ready to exclaim "Away with the Christians to the lion!" whenever times got tough. However, Tertullian doesn't claim he witnessed any martyrdoms-by-lion personally, and anyway he was a Christian himself. Fact is, while the Romans evidently fed Christians to animals, and people to lions, we have no source stating directly that they specifically fed Christians to lions. So theoretically it's possible the whole Christians-lions thing was a Christian ploy for sympathy.

But probably not. The Romans did a big business in mass slaughter by and of animals, showing great enterprise in arranging dramatic forms of killing, so if they didn't throw any Christians to the lions, it was likely an oversight. While record keeping at the time wasn't the best, and many early Christian texts have their implausible moments, here's what we can say with reasonable certainty:}

The Straight Dope Were Christians really thrown to the lions

Comrade Stalin, you're stupid as pond scum - and I mean that as a compliment...

I support medical research that could save lives, cure horrific diseases, improve or even normalize people woth catastrophic injuries, and increase the quality of life for all....

Me too. All that can be done using adult stem cells. In fact, as PC has shown, the only promise to such research has been shown via research with adult stem cells. So...........

She did not show that. She showed that because of religious reasons, only adult stem cells are allowed by law.no one has suggested we fertilize eggs and use those embryos; but why not use the embryos from abortion procedures?

"Which brings out yet another irony. Embryonic stem-cell backers often charge their critics with caring for abstract religious doctrine, not for suffering people. Yet that description arguably may be best suited to many if not most of the ESC advocates themselves. ASC [adult stem cell] researchers, on the other hand, are almost always practicing physicians. They watch people suffer; they watch them die. They want to help them and to do so as soon as possible."
Michael Fumento Why the Media Miss the Stem-Cell Story

Abortions are generally the last resort. ...

No, they are not.

When birth control is too late, when chemical abortifacients are too late, and when the mother is unwilling to give birth and give up the child, there is only one last resort to choose between motherhood and not.

When there is "no choice" but to kill the unborn, eh? And you claim you don't want more abortions? Sure as hell sounds like you are all for it. You are morally bankrupt.

Okay then. Whatever you want to believe. I don't think fetuses are persons. Therefore it is not murder. I am not morally bankrupt. Fuck off.

The only time I can imagine someone who wants an abortion is when she feels she isn't ready to be a mother or give birth. ...

Quality of life for the child, the mother, the family, and our society ...

Quality of 'what'? What was that word?

The fetus is not a person, not an individual life. Does not have a soul, a personality, or consciousness. Is not viable outside of the mother.

The fetus is not a person, not an individual life. Does not have a soul, a personality, or consciousness. Is not viable outside of the mother.

Leaving aside your curious apparent belief that the birth canal is a miracle mile where only in the specific act of birth life is bestowed....... :rolleyes:

Answer the question. Quality of 'what'?

But it is not a part of the mother....why should she have the right to put an end to its life?

Now...don't run and hide: think about it.

but why not use the embryos from abortion procedures?

Why don't we harvest the organs from prisoners on death row? Guess what happens in countries where they do?

You mean Pakistan, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea?

What other countries have official capital punishment?

Having trouble with questions today? Why don't we harvest the organs from prisoners on death row? Guess what happens in countries where they do?

Leaving aside your curious apparent belief that the birth canal is a miracle mile where only in the specific act of birth life is bestowed....... :rolleyes:

Answer the question. Quality of 'what'?

Life. The fetus, until at a certain stage of development, is but simply a bundle of cells. The cells are alive, but the fetus is not a person.

You disagree with the medical profession at large. I think they know better than you.

Last edited:
but why not use the embryos from abortion procedures?

Why don't we harvest the organs from prisoners on death row? Guess what happens in countries where they do?

You mean Pakistan, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea?

What other countries have official capital punishment?

Having trouble with questions today? Why don't we harvest the organs from prisoners on death row? Guess what happens in countries where they do?

I did answer, but I guess you need me to elaborate: the only other countries with state sanctioned executions are brutal theocracies or regimes. Apples to oranges.

Forum List

Back