The cause of the crime reduction - unleaded gasoline & latex paint? WTF?

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
I didn't believe this at first either.

but...

It's ridiculous – until you see the evidence. Studies between cities, states and nations show that the rise and fall in crime follows, with a roughly 20-year lag, the rise and fall in the exposure of infants to trace quantities of lead.

The curve is much the same in all the countries these papers have studied.
Lead was withdrawn first from paint and then from petrol at different times in different places (beginning in the 1970s in the US in the case of petrol, and the 1990s in many parts of Europe), yet despite these different times and different circumstances, the pattern is the same: violent crime peaks around 20 years after lead pollution peaks. The crime rates in big and small cities in the US, once wildly different, have now converged, also some 20 years after the phase-out.

Nothing else seems to explain these trends. The researchers have taken great pains to correct for the obvious complicating variables: social, economic and legal factors. One paper found, after 15 variables had been taken into account, a four-fold increase in homicides in US counties with the highest lead pollution. Another discovered that lead levels appeared to explain 90% of the difference in rates of aggravated assault between US cities.

Yes, lead poisoning could really be a cause of violent crime | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

maybe its true?

A higher correlation and less time lag between a higher high school drop out rate and crime reduction.

So since you ate paint chips as a kid, does that mean you are still living your childhood? Please don't neg rep me for this :(

:)

A higher correlation and less time lag between a higher high school drop out rate and crime reduction.

Should we take your word for it?

Ever consider that the nerve damaged caused by lead poisoning might lead folks to drop out of high school?

They took lead out of US based paint over fourty years ago, so your point is what?

What is a "us based paint" ? I had no idea you could base a paint on us!

What is your point?

George "Moonbat" Monbiot also wrote a series of articles downplaying the effects of Radiation released from Fukushima.

Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

I'm not sure I get your point.

He is saying the guy that wrote your OP is an idiot. Paint chips.. see?

OK. So what? He didn't do the science you fucking moron. Why do right wingers insist in equating journalists with the science they report? My lord you people are stupid. Try using a GOOGLE.
https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=lead+exposure+crime&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Or a GOOGLE SCHOLAR
lead exposure crime - Google Scholar

But what for? Righties hate science. If it doesn't sound right, it can't be true!

Should we take your word for it?

Ever consider that the nerve damaged caused by lead poisoning might lead folks to drop out of high school?

They took lead out of US based paint over fourty years ago, so your point is what?

What is a "us based paint" ? I had no idea you could base a paint on us!

What is your point?

Domestically produced paint has been lead free for a long time. I am beginning to believe you have been exposed to lead paint or pot...

I think the crime rate has dropped because we have put half the country on food stamps and no one is forced to steal items with lead painted services as a food source.

Forum List

Back