The Burden of Proof

Of course, but in the world of political posting, regardless of the assertion, there will be those who will deny any source provided, so I don't bother.

However, I DO demand that assertions of a slanderous nature against someone made by a public official demands that the proof of the assertion is provided, or that person should be subjected to civil penalties, possibly even removal from office.

Heres the thing.

Lets say FoxNews posts a stat from the CBO. ( because we all like to use the CBO as an example lately ) Just because the link is FoxNews does not make it an unreliable link, the NUMBERS come from elsewhere.

On the other hand, if Huffington Post is quoting a far Left Blogger who is the ONLY source of the material or is misrepresenting the material, then we should dispute that.

At least thats my opinion.

Good analogy. I frequently quote from Huffpo, even though I am much futher right than they are editorially, because I felt their source was a reliable source. And Huffpo gets a lot of stuff right.

And I confess to avoiding using Fox as a source as much as possible just because I kknow some will focus on the source regardless of who their source is or how competent the reporting.

But I will object to leftwing or rightwing hate sites or highly biased propaganda site as reliable sources every single time.

Fox!

Ok a PM is coming we have to clarify something.

That does not mean we were lied to.

Did a politician tell us that? If so, case closed, I don't need no stinkin' proof. ;) We were lied to.

Immie
You make no distinction for the fact that someone saying something like that may just have misinterpreted the facts or misunderstood the problem and just plain got it wrong? Is it so black and white now days that a mistake will now always be called a lie?

Not when it comes to the corruption of politicians. :)

They are not stupid. They are salesmen and they sold us crap. Being right or wrong is only part of the story when it comes to sales and a small part at that. This wasn't an error. It was a snowjob... er sales job.

Immie

Any news article beginning with the words, breaking news, probably should be backed up as well.

When MOST of the points debated here are "Republicans are racist" or "Dems are stupid" --- "Only 6% of scientists are Republican" -- it's best to NOT spend a lot of your time attempting a proof.. Might be better to just invoke parody or irony or humor.

Then there are the Zombie issues that have been stomped to death multiple times and STILL won't die.. Like

"Social Security is Broke today and there is nothing of cash value in the Trust Fund" --- TRUE
OR
"Bush's Grandpappy was a Nazi collaborator" -- FALSE
OR
"Stimulating DEMAND creates tons of American Jobs" ---- Not anymore it doesn't..

And no matter HOW many times these are shotgunned to death -- they keep marching back -- just like zombies in the movies.. On THESE assertions -- there is generally one or two KEY facts or figures that you must keep pulling out over and over and over again --- just like that garlic and cross.

OTH -- Over in the Techy USMB boards --- some of that happens.. But more often than not there's a resolution of facts pretty soon after assertions are made.. Which is why I spend a lot more time over there.

The Burden of Proof can always be solved by the following two rules:

Rule No.1: Loinboy is always right.
Rule No.2: If Loinboy is wrong, see rule No.1.

And seen from the other side of the aisle

Liberal: Obama's policies have created 4.5 jobs and begun the recovery.
Conservative: Prove it.
Liberal: Here are 2 articles
Conservative: HuffPo? Rly? You can't trust them. NYT? Rly? You can't trust them.
Liberal: OK, can you prove that isn't the case?
Conservative: ....

No, not quite the same. The WSJ employs writers with actual economic credentials. They are not liberal bloggers chosen for their political bent.

Forum List

Back