The Bad Left Turn

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm doing a LOT of driving latterly, having signed on to a company that auctions cars and requires them to be moved about frequently within a 100 mile radius.

There is a driving act that drives me crazy, but is not illegal or even mentioned much at all. It is the "Bad Left Turn."

Imagine it's rush hour, or any time with a constant heavy flow of traffic, and you are traveling on either a two-lane or a four-lane highway that does not have a turning lane.

You want to make a left turn into a business on the opposite side of the road.

So you put on your turn signal, slow down, come to a stop, then wait for the opportunity to make that left turn. Depending on the circumstances, you may be there for any time up to a couple of minutes.

You are an ignorant, inconsiderate, dangerous son of a bitch. Times two, if you are one of those idiots who turns his wheels to the left while waiting for an opening in traffic.

In making this perfectly legal turn, you are inconveniencing scores of drivers, and creating an unsafe situation for vehicles traveling in both directions.

Parenthetically, when riding my motorcycle, I NEVER, EVER, EVER make such a turn, even when traffic is light. I would be foolishly taking my life in my hands to save a couple of minutes.

What is the alternative?

Go to the next intersection with either stop signs or a stoplight, and turn around, so that you can reach your destination without making a left across traffic. Plan you trip so that you approach the destination from the other direction. What will it cost you? A couple extra minutes?

Think of this when driving in that situation. Hate on me if you like, but I'm right.

Forum List

Back