The Abortion Myth

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Bfgrn, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    The Religious Right...how can people that have no regard for the crawling the walking have such a passion for the unborn?

Easy...they DON'T...they're a bunch of racists that USED Roe v. Wade as a political wedge issue...

Book Excerpt: 'Thy Kingdom Come'

by Randall Balmer

In the 1980s, in order to solidify their shift from divorce to abortion, the Religious Right constructed an abortion myth, one accepted by most Americans as true. Simply put, the abortion myth is this: Leaders of the Religious Right would have us believe that their movement began in direct response to the U.S. Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision.
    ---
    In the course of one of the sessions, Weyrich tried to make a point to his Religious Right brethren (no women attended the conference, as I recall). Let's remember, he said animatedly, that the Religious Right did not come together in response to the Roe decision. No, Weyrich insisted, what got us going as a political movement was the attempt on the part of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to rescind the tax-exempt status of Bob Jones University because of its racially discriminatory policies.

Evangelical: Religious Right Has Distorted the Faith : NPR

[​IMG]

2. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    so now, not only do those who are against abortion not care about kids, but are racists as well? :cuckoo:

3. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Just remember, everyone in favor of abortion has already been born.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Sperm against abortion!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,104
    WTF did you come up with this?

6. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    It should read:
    The Religious Right...how can people that have no regard for the crawling or the walking have such a passion for the unborn?

I'd like to add no regard for anything growing...

If God created trees, shouldn't liberals be the ones calling conservative christians tree huggers?

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,104
    Like I said, WTF did you come up with this stuff?

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    Woo hoo! Another thread based on someone's bigotry stated as though it were fact, and a frigging straw man set up by a left-wing propaganda machine. Thank God. It's been too long since the last one.

9. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    I don't think he was referring to your grammar, twerp. I think he was talking about your bullshit assertion.

And if I were a tree, perhaps I would have more concern for trees than I do for species I don't belong to. Since I'm a human, I'm partial to THAT species. Duhhh.

10. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Some left-wing propaganda machine...

Randall Balmer, professor of American religious history at Barnard College, Columbia University, earned the Ph.D. from Princeton University in 1985. He has lectured at the Chautauqua Institution, the Commonwealth Club of California and the Smithsonian Associates and to audiences around the country, and he has been a visiting professor at Rutgers, Yale, Drew, Northwestern, and Princeton universities and at Union Theological Seminary, where he is also an adjunct professor. He has been a visiting professor in the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and a visiting professor at Yale Divinity School.

Professor Balmer has published widely both in academic and scholarly journals and in the popular press. He is an editor for Christianity Today, his commentaries on religion in America, distributed by the New York Times Syndicate, have appeared in newspapers across the country, and one of his essays, "Adirondack Fundamentalism," appears in the Ninth Edition of The Norton Reader. He has published opinion pieces in the Des Moines Register, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the San Diego Times-Union, the Dallas Morning News, Slate, the Philadelphia Inquirer, New York Newsday, the Albany Times-Union, the Nation and the New York Times. His first book, A Perfect Babel of Confusion: Dutch Religion and English Culture in the Middle Colonies, won several awards, and his second book, Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory: A Journey into the Evangelical Subculture in America, was made into a three-part documentary for PBS. Professor Balmer was nominated for an Emmy for his script-writing and for hosting that series.

His second documentary, Crusade: The Life of Billy Graham, was aired on PBS and also appeared in A&E's Biography series. "In the Beginning": The Creationist Controversy, a two-part documentary on the creation-evolution debate, was first broadcast over PBS in May 1995 and then recut and broadcast in fall 2001.

Professor Balmer has co-written a history of American Presbyterians, a book on mainline Protestantism, and another book, Protestantism in America, with Lauren F. Winner. Other books include Encyclopedia of Evangelicalism, published by Baylor University Press, and Religion in Twentieth Century America, part of the Religion in American Life series, published by Oxford University Press. A spiritual memoir, Growing Pains: Learning to Love My Father's Faith, published by Brazos Press in 2001, was named "book of the year" (spirituality) by Christianity Today. Professor Balmer recently completed a history of religion and the presidency entitled God in the White House: How Faith Shaped the Presidency from John F. Kennedy to George W. Bush. It will be released by HarperOne (formerly Harper San Francisco) in January 2008.

Complete CV (PDF)