Thanksgiving

What was this holiday created for?

it is an American holiday...

first to give thanks the indians help keeping the pilgrims alive and living through the winter...

then to be thankful we one the war of independence...

And then to more or less remember all those who suffered and died in the civil war.
I think you need to read pages two and three from your link.
OH and who were the founders thanking for winning the war of Independence?

the french, and rightfully so. :thup:

During the American Revolution, the Continental Congress designated one or more days of thanksgiving a year, and in 1789 George Washington issued the first Thanksgiving proclamation by the national government of the United States; in it, he called upon Americans to express their gratitude for the happy conclusion to the country’s war of independence and the successful ratification of the U.S. Constitution. His successors John Adams and James Madison also designated days of thanks during their presidencies.

from my link too.....

During the American Revolution, the Continental Congress designated one or more days of thanksgiving a year, and in 1789 George Washington issued the first Thanksgiving proclamation by the national government of the United States; in it, he called upon Americans to express their gratitude for the happy conclusion to the country’s war of independence and the successful ratification of the U.S. Constitution. His successors John Adams and James Madison also designated days of thanks during their presidencies.

from my link too.....
Do you know what is in that Thanksgiving proclamation
Signed by Washington on October 3, 1789 and entitled "General Thanksgiving," the decree appointed the day "to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God."

The First Thanksgiving Proclamation

ranting fuckwits are obvious.

If you don't believe in God maybe you should work and not get that holiday pay.

you're babbling.

you want to tell me the native americans who celbrated the first thanksgiving were christians?

puleeze...

p.s. not being christian doesn't mean atheist.

Amazing how they always leave out the the part that it was to thank the indians for saving their pilgram asses. They are still trying to kill the pagans and harvest festivals

then again... i bet they were trying to convert the indians into christians...... does that count?

you're babbling.

you want to tell me the native americans who celbrated the first thanksgiving were christians?

puleeze...

Amazing how they always leave out the the part that it was to thank the indians for saving their pilgram asses. They are still trying to kill the pagans and harvest festivals

then again... i bet they were trying to convert the indians into christians...... does that count?
It's amazing you don't research your on sources a little further.

you're babbling.

puleeze...

They celebrated with Christians.

Even if they did, that would automatically make it a Christian Holiday? Ever been to a bar? There are christians there. Is it a Christian bar?

from my link too.....
Signed by Washington on October 3, 1789 and entitled "General Thanksgiving," the decree appointed the day "to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God."

and again.... that does not make it a christian holiday.

Where in the bible does it say that americans are to celebrate and eat trukey? Does the pope celebrate this christian holiday.... after all he is head catholic christians.

from my link too.....

Where in the bible does it say that americans are to celebrate and eat trukey? Does the pope celebrate this christian holiday.... after all he is head catholic christians.

It was a day that was created to give thanks to God. That was it's purpose.

I'm not sure dictating who or what to be thankful for is part of the message. Me, it's the parade :)

does it say.... to give thanks to a christian god?

I'm not sure dictating who or what to be thankful for is part of the message. Me, it's the parade :)

i could care less about god... it never enters into the day.

Its about turkey and family.

you're babbling.

puleeze...

They celebrated with Christians.

Even if they did, that would automatically make it a Christian Holiday? Ever been to a bar? There are christians there. Is it a Christian bar?
What was thanksgiving created for? To give thanks to God. That was it's purpose nothing more or nothing less

It was signed as a national holiday to thank the "Almighty God". The first thanksgiving was between the indians and the pilgrims, when they finally started getting along or some shit like that. It is in the "holiday season" because of god. My point is ACTUAL Thanksgiving was not about god. The prez made it that way seems to me

does it say.... to give thanks to a christian god?
No it just says God
George Washington Papers: Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation

How ever there is another prayer the 1st congressional prayer that does mention Christianity and giving guidance to the government.

It was signed as a national holiday to thank the "Almighty God". The first thanksgiving was between the indians and the pilgrims, when they finally started getting along or some shit like that. It is in the "holiday season" because of god. My point is ACTUAL Thanksgiving was not about god. The prez made it that way seems to me

Thanksgiving has always been for giving thanks to God.

Forum List

Back