Thanksgiving

It was signed as a national holiday to thank the "Almighty God". The first thanksgiving was between the indians and the pilgrims, when they finally started getting along or some shit like that. It is in the "holiday season" because of god. My point is ACTUAL Thanksgiving was not about god. The prez made it that way seems to me

Thanksgiving has always been for giving thanks to God.

I guess the REASON they gathered for a feast has nothing to do with it?

It was a day that was created to give thanks to God. That was it's purpose.

does it say.... to give thanks to a christian god?
No it just says God
George Washington Papers: Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation

How ever there is another prayer the 1st congressional prayer that does mention Christianity and giving guidance to the government.

so.... just god huh?

If am not mistaken... there is a good deal of "god" that is not ..... "christian"

how about i say it again.... its an American holiday.... you know the place of religious freedom.

Do you know what is in that Thanksgiving proclamation
Signed by Washington on October 3, 1789 and entitled "General Thanksgiving," the decree appointed the day "to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God."

The First Thanksgiving Proclamation

and again.... that does not make it a christian holiday.

Where in the bible does it say that americans are to celebrate and eat trukey? Does the pope celebrate this christian holiday.... after all he is head catholic christians.

so i take it you are backtracking on thanksgiving being a ..... "christian holiday".

Where in the bible does it say that americans are to celebrate and eat trukey? Does the pope celebrate this christian holiday.... after all he is head catholic christians.

so i take it you are backtracking on thanksgiving being a ..... "christian holiday".
What God did the founder reference when they talked about Religion?

Here's an example of a prayer backed by the government.

First Prayer of the Continental Congress, 1774

The Prayer in the First Congress, A.D. 1774
O Lord our Heavenly Father, high and mighty King of kings, and Lord of lords, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers on earth and reignest with power supreme and uncontrolled over all the Kingdoms, Empires and Governments; look down in mercy, we beseech Thee, on these our American States, who have fled to Thee from the rod of the oppressor and thrown themselves on Thy gracious protection, desiring to be henceforth dependent only on Thee. To Thee have they appealed for the righteousness of their cause; to Thee do they now look up for that countenance and support, which Thou alone canst give. Take them, therefore, Heavenly Father, under Thy nurturing care; give them wisdom in Council and valor in the field; defeat the malicious designs of our cruel adversaries; convince them of the unrighteousness of their Cause and if they persist in their sanguinary purposes, of own unerring justice, sounding in their hearts, constrain them to drop the weapons of war from their unnerved hands in the day of battle!

Be Thou present, O God of wisdom, and direct the councils of this honorable assembly; enable them to settle things on the best and surest foundation. That the scene of blood may be speedily closed; that order, harmony and peace may be effectually restored, and truth and justice, religion and piety, prevail and flourish amongst the people. Preserve the health of their bodies and vigor of their minds; shower down on them and the millions they here represent, such temporal blessings as Thou seest expedient for them in this world and crown them with everlasting glory in the world to come. All this we ask in the name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and our Savior.

Amen.

Reverend Jacob Duché
Rector of Christ Church of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
September 7, 1774, 9 o’clock a.m.
First Prayer of the Continental Congress, Office of the Chaplain

It was signed as a national holiday to thank the "Almighty God". The first thanksgiving was between the indians and the pilgrims, when they finally started getting along or some shit like that. It is in the "holiday season" because of god. My point is ACTUAL Thanksgiving was not about god. The prez made it that way seems to me

Thanksgiving has always been for giving thanks to God.

I guess the REASON they gathered for a feast has nothing to do with it?

Not really

No see earlier post.

According to Hesham A. Hassaballa, a Pulmonary/Critical Care physician, "Thanksgiving
is an American cultural tradition that is wholly consistent with Islamic principles. Typically, American Muslims (including my family) get together with their families and have dinner together on Thanksgiving, usually because everyone has a day off on Thanksgiving, and so it is convenient and natural for families to come together."

Mr. Hassaballa also muses about his experience with vegetable pizza in the following article... Muslims celebrate Thanksgiving

Beyond that, in November 1621, after the Pilgrims’ first corn harvest proved successful, Governor William Bradford organized a celebratory feast and invited a group of the fledgling colony’s Native American allies, including the Wampanoag chief Massasoit. Now remembered as American’s “first Thanksgiving”.

Thanksgiving

They might pray to God during Thanksgiving, but Thanksgiving is not based off God.

According to Hesham A. Hassaballa, a Pulmonary/Critical Care physician, "Thanksgiving
is an American cultural tradition that is wholly consistent with Islamic principles. Typically, American Muslims (including my family) get together with their families and have dinner together on Thanksgiving, usually because everyone has a day off on Thanksgiving, and so it is convenient and natural for families to come together."

Mr. Hassaballa also muses about his experience with vegetable pizza in the following article... Muslims celebrate Thanksgiving

Beyond that, in November 1621, after the Pilgrims’ first corn harvest proved successful, Governor William Bradford organized a celebratory feast and invited a group of the fledgling colony’s Native American allies, including the Wampanoag chief Massasoit. Now remembered as American’s “first Thanksgiving”.

Thanksgiving

so again... an American holiday...

lol..i use the same link.

Thanksgiving

Pulmonary/Critical Care physician
Educated people can also be stupid but keep swinging\\\\\\\\\

Hassaballa that's sounds like a Muslim? The religion whose creator was a pedophile

I can't believe anyone would want to argue over Thanksgiving!

LittleReb, don't make me start throwing pies! :lol:

pie%20in%20face%20throwing.jpg

No, it is a day to celebrate a successful harvest. Didn't you guys have the history of thanksgiving in middle school? And the Indians fed the dumbass starving pilgrims who couldn't figure out how to grow food. They weren't xtian.

Thanksgiving

Hassaballa that's sounds like a Muslim? The religion whose creator was a pedophile

lol...we get it.... you think its a "chirstian" holiday.

if that is what you are thankful for.....fine..... have some turkey, loosen your belt up and relax.

Thanksgiving

so again... an American holiday...

lol..i use the same link.

It was all about the crops and having a party. :huddle::banana: If there was a god involved it was solely on an individual basis as far as I am concerned.

Thanksgiving

lol...we get it.... you think its a "chirstian" holiday.

if that is what you are thankful for.....fine..... have some turkey, loosen your belt up and relax.

But you don't get it. It is.

Forum List

Back