Thank god for the army corps of engineers!

You guys realize this is only the second time in history the Morganza has been opened.. right?

Why should the citizens of Kansas pay to prevent flooding in another state? Let Louisiana pay for their flood projects.

Gee whiz, I dunno, maybe because if the Ports of South Louisiana, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge get fucked up for months or years by flooding, Kansas farmers will have to pay out the fucking ass to export their grain? Maybe because if the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation gets flooded, they'll have to pay even more out the ass to ship their grain over land? Maybe because for decades taxpayers in Louisiana and everywhere have been subsidizing their farms with our tax dollars, including the promotion of corn ethanol over sugar ethanol?

Is that a serious question, really?

bripat9643, this is what you call an ass woopin. It had to hurt just a bit.

bripat has decided it would be cheaper to haul several hundreds of trucks or rail cars of grain over land to a port rather than sending it downriver on a handful of barges.

I used be a barge insepctor. They're gigantic. I did petrochemicals. The smallest ones can hold 10,000 barrels of fluid.

Come on kids. You guys ready to tell the people of LA and San Fran to buidoze their towns and move? Of course not... who builds a city on a fault?

Of course not. What they have is something I like to call "self righteous 20/20 hindsight". Do you remember any of them warning residents of New Orleans that they should move somewhere else BEFORE Katrina? Nope.

If a major city like LA were hit with a tsunami - only AFTER would those with self righteous 20/20 hindsight be saying "it wasn't that smart to live there!"

Actually, the people of NOLA WERE told to leave, sadly, a lot didn't. I did. WHo needs to be told? You see a cat 3 -5 coming at you, you're stupid to stay.

Actually, the people of NOLA WERE told to leave, sadly, a lot didn't.

Yeah like less than 48 hours in advance. I realize a lot of people chose to stay who did have means to leave, but not everyone had the means to get out who wanted to get out. If you didn't have a car you were fucked. Amtrack and greyhound shut down and besides they wouldn't have been able to handle the entire load anyway.

I did. WHo needs to be told? You see a cat 3 -5 coming at you, you're stupid to stay.
You may not recall this (and for obvious reasons considering what followed was much more memorable) but Katrina was headed for the Florida panhandle. it shifted course Friday night and a lot of folks didn't know it was headed to NOLA until early Saturday (now cue fuckface piece of trash Nagin dicking around like a tool)

Last edited:
Actually, the old parts of the city here did not flood.. thery're above sea level. I live in the burbs, 10 miles out. Iflooded.. you know why? PArish government fucked up and left the pumps up. That's the ONLY reason we flooded.

I did the stupid thing.. I had flood insurance.

Actually, the people of NOLA WERE told to leave, sadly, a lot didn't.

Yeah like less than 48 hours in advance.

I did. WHo needs to be told? You see a cat 3 -5 coming at you, you're stupid to stay.
You may not recall this (and for obvious reasons considering what followed was much more memorable) but Katrina was headed for the Florida panhandle. it shifted course Friday night and a lot of folks didn't know it was headed to NOLA until early Saturday (now cue fuckface piece of trash Nagin dicking around like a tool)

I remember it ALL too well. I didn't wait... I bailed with plenty of time to spare. And yes, Nagin was useless. But, he'll be going down.. his name is coming up big time in the St. Pierre trial.

He's penitentiary bound.

Aren't most major population centers built around ports, whether it be river or ocean?

Come on kids. You guys ready to tell the people of LA and San Fran to buidoze their towns and move? Of course not... who builds a city on a fault?

I am ready to tell them to do the bulldoze part. The moving part? ...kind of depends on where they go....

Aren't most major population centers built around ports, whether it be river or ocean?

I am ready to tell them to do the bulldoze part. The moving part? ...kind of depends on where they go....

Well, unless they all move to New England...

It's called nature, everywhere's got it's demons.

If we send them all to Lafayette, can we still hold them on the West Bank?

If we send them all to Lafayette, can we still hold them on the West Bank?

Actually, I'm sitting in the Marriott Courtyard on Kaliste Salloom in Lafayette right now. The West Bank? Huh?

Human beings live there you worthless piece of white trash shit.

Human beings lived in the area that was flooded.

Less of them. 200 people vs. 2800. Would we rather 200 people flood or 2800? Stop being fucking stupid.

Actually, you have such a chip on your shoulder, for you it does not sound to be a tough decision at all. It will cost far more in federal aid to the people who got flooded than it would if they had let Cairo sink. The only way that 'lives' entered into this was in a PC way. They didn't want to have more Katrina type protests and accusations of racism from blacks.

Last edited:
Wasn't the Corps of Engineers the bad guy when they... drove their Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry... and they failed to construct the levees to withstand the Katrina flood? It's a tough decision to ruin the lives of 25,000 people and flood 10,000 structures. Was the decision left to the Corps of Engineers?

In the area where I live, yes it was. Those who were going to be affected sued and it went very quickly to the SCOTUS. Based upon a law that was written in 1927, when no people inhabited the area they intended to flood, the Corps of Engineers had the legal authority to do this.

Here you go. Here's a link: Missouri Levee Blast Likely: Supreme Court Rejects Attempts To Block Levee Breach

In my area there was no spillway to open. They blew up Bird's Point Levee, breaking it open so the water would flood people other than in the gruesome town of Cairo.

I have watched with interest all the places subjected to flooding from the Mississippi. Even those subjected to flooding by towns that have walls around them forcing the water away are much more populated than they were in the 20s and 30s when these laws were written. I don't think folks will take this lying down. Just sayin'.

A lot of nice homes were a wash. But think how much we saved on FEMA trailers. !!

I'm sorry, were the people of Missouri unaware there was a river there?

The only thing the people of Missouri were unaware of is that the Army Corps of Engineers would haul dynamite out the Bird's Point Levee and blow it up.

In the area where I live, yes it was. Those who were going to be affected sued and it went very quickly to the SCOTUS. Based upon a law that was written in 1927, when no people inhabited the area they intended to flood, the Corps of Engineers had the legal authority to do this.

Here you go. Here's a link: Missouri Levee Blast Likely: Supreme Court Rejects Attempts To Block Levee Breach

In my area there was no spillway to open. They blew up Bird's Point Levee, breaking it open so the water would flood people other than in the gruesome town of Cairo.

I have watched with interest all the places subjected to flooding from the Mississippi. Even those subjected to flooding by towns that have walls around them forcing the water away are much more populated than they were in the 20s and 30s when these laws were written. I don't think folks will take this lying down. Just sayin'.

A lot of nice homes were a wash. But think how much we saved on FEMA trailers. !!

The only thing the people of Missouri were unaware of is that the Army Corps of Engineers would haul dynamite out the Bird's Point Levee and blow it up.

Wrong. The area is a desginated floodway as part of the ACE "project flood."

Mississippi_River_flow.gif

It is a designated area for when the flows on the mississippi reach a certain volume.

It is a designated area for when the flows on the mississippi reach a certain volume.

And now you can post deeds to the property showing that they were well aware they would be flooded out. Where is your link? Or do we just take your word for it? LOL

Last edited:

In 1927.

And they never rescinded the plan. They have updated it, but the Bird point new madrid floodway is still a valid part of the project flood mitigation plan. They use 1927 as a model as that was one of the worst floods so far on the river. They have updated it for the 1973 high water, as well as the last few decades.

The flows change, the mitigation plans have been on the books for decades, and the missouri flood plain has always been a part of it once flows reach a certain volume.

Again, you are wrong stating that the people in Missouri had no warning that this may happen in a project flood year.

In 1927.

And they never rescinded the plan. They have updated it, but the Bird point new madrid floodway is still a valid part of the project flood mitigation plan. They use 1927 as a model as that was one of the worst floods so far on the river. They have updated it for the 1973 high water, as well as the last few decades.

The flows change, the mitigation plans have been on the books for decades, and the missouri flood plain has always been a part of it once flows reach a certain volume.

Again, you are wrong stating that the people in Missouri had no warning that this may happen in a project flood year.

And you have a link? Or is this just all on your say so? :lol:

Check the source of the flow chart i showed you. Thats straight from the Army Corp of Engineers. The lines that look like train tracks designate what are called fuse plug levees. They are lower than the regular levee along the water, and are desgined to wear away when overtopped to protect the rest of the levee system. Sometimes when the water is rising too fast, they use explosives to "help" the levee wear away quicker.

Also, check this presentation, page 53 describes the birds point, new madrid floodway.

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/levees/Evolution%20of%20the%20Levee%20System%20Along%20the%20Mississippi.pdf

If you want more, its called google.

Check the source of the flow chart i showed you. Thats straight from the Army Corp of Engineers. The lines that look like train tracks designate what are called fuse plug levees. They are lower than the regular levee along the water, and are desgined to wear away when overtopped to protect the rest of the levee system. Sometimes when the water is rising too fast, they use explosives to "help" the levee wear away quicker.

Also, check this presentation, page 53 describes the birds point, new madrid floodway.

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/levees/Evolution%20of%20the%20Levee%20System%20Along%20the%20Mississippi.pdf

If you want more, its called google.

Yeah, and you might do a little Googling yourself if you want to categorically deny that race was a factor in this:

Since the floodwaters began to rise to near record levels last week, rhetoric has been harsh from both sides of the river. Missouri officials not only condemned the idea of blasting the levee but filed suit to stop it. Childs last week implied racism was at play, saying Cairo — a community that is 70 percent black — was on the "verge of being the next 9th Ward of New Orleans," referring to damage caused by Hurricane Katrina.

The Associated Press: Army Corps officer faces difficult choice on levee

Forum List

Back