Thank god for the army corps of engineers!

The city of New Orleans is where it is for a reason... and it has been here for centuries. Hey, next time San Fran or LA gets shaken out of its boots.. I say let them lay in ruin... I mean hey, what idiot builds on a fault?

I agree. Everyone knows the risks.

Really? What are they?

West Coast - Earthquakes and tsunamis
East Coast & Gulf Coast - Hurricanes and tropical storms
Mexican Border - Mexican gang violence
Midwest - Tornados, flooding & blizzards

I guess we all have to move to New England.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We definitely shouldn't let people live on the coast at all. There's hurricanes and tsunamis. We should move everyone off of fault lines as well, and anywhere that there are lots of tornados people shouldn't live either. So that leaves..... where exactly? I guess we're all moving to Colorado?

You gonna tell people where they can and can't live?

Who the fuck are you?

Dude - sarcasm? Perhaps you've heard of it?

I guess they can have snow blizzards and avalanches in Colorado, so I'm really not sure where we are supposed to live!

Exactly... I was throwing it right backatcha.

So one government boondoggle justifies another?

If the port of new Orleans is closed, then Kansas farmers can ship their wheat by train to some other port. If the Army Corp of Engineers didn't build flood control for Louisiana, then the state would do it on its own. The people there aren't stupid, at least the ones who didn't vote for Obama aren't.

As for the oil refinery getting flooded, since when did libtards give a hoot about having adequate supplies of oil? Not a single refinery has been built in the last 40 years because of their obstruction tactics, but all of a sudden we're supposed to believe you're concerned about this one?

Gee whiz, I dunno, maybe because if the Ports of South Louisiana, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge get fucked up for months or years by flooding, Kansas farmers will have to pay out the fucking ass to export their grain? Maybe because if the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation gets flooded, they'll have to pay even more out the ass to ship their grain over land? Maybe because for decades taxpayers in Louisiana and everywhere have been subsidizing their farms with our tax dollars, including the promotion of corn ethanol over sugar ethanol?

Is that a serious question, really?

Good God, you truly are this fucking dumb!

So one government boondoggle justifies another?

If the port of new Orleans is closed, then Kansas farmers can ship their wheat by train to some other port. If the Army Corp of Engineers didn't build flood control for Louisiana, then the state would do it on its own. The people there aren't stupid, at least the ones who didn't vote for Obama aren't.

As for the oil refinery getting flooded, since when did libtards give a hoot about having adequate supplies of oil? Not a single refinery has been built in the last 40 years because of their obstruction tactics, but all of a sudden we're supposed to believe you're concerned about this one?

Gee whiz, I dunno, maybe because if the Ports of South Louisiana, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge get fucked up for months or years by flooding, Kansas farmers will have to pay out the fucking ass to export their grain? Maybe because if the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation gets flooded, they'll have to pay even more out the ass to ship their grain over land? Maybe because for decades taxpayers in Louisiana and everywhere have been subsidizing their farms with our tax dollars, including the promotion of corn ethanol over sugar ethanol?

Good God, you truly are this fucking dumb!

Excuse me?

If New Orleans metro could get its population down to about 25,000 folks the both port could operate and we would not have to support such a poor place to put ppl.
You're an ignorant douchebag.

You're an asshole. And.... get some fucking rep before you neg people... otherwise you look ridiculous..... so you're actually a stupid asshole. :lol::lol:

Now Cali, there are those of us that don't give a damn about the points.

We definitely shouldn't let people live on the coast at all. There's hurricanes and tsunamis. We should move everyone off of fault lines as well, and anywhere that there are lots of tornados people shouldn't live either. So that leaves..... where exactly? I guess we're all moving to Colorado?

You gonna tell people where they can and can't live?

Who the fuck are you?

Dude - sarcasm? Perhaps you've heard of it?

I guess they can have snow blizzards and avalanches in Colorado, so I'm really not sure where we are supposed to live!

Don't forget Tornado Alley. Everyone must go.

The city of New Orleans is where it is for a reason... and it has been here for centuries. Hey, next time San Fran or LA gets shaken out of its boots.. I say let them lay in ruin... I mean hey, what idiot builds on a fault?

Oh MY God, Soggybottom, you are supporting a government action! You will be summerily burned at the stake for heresy.:lol:

I agree. Everyone knows the risks.

Really? What are they?

West Coast - Earthquakes and tsunamis
East Coast & Gulf Coast - Hurricanes and tropical storms
Mexican Border - Mexican gang violence
Midwest - Tornados, flooding & blizzards

I guess we all have to move to New England.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually, the Gulf Coast and East Coast has a significant tsunami risk. A series of quakes in 1812 in the mid-West were some of the worst in the history of our nation.

Eyewitnesses New Madrid Fault Quakes of 1812

There just needs to be a limit on federal government liability for County/Parish decisions.

All over the st louis metro area municipalities subsidize building in our flood planes. Cheap land for big dollar development.

Does the development need to be in the flood plain? No. Missouri is huge.

Same with New Orleans. Just turn down all that FEMA aid, say "no I am a red state that doesnt believe in big government disaster declarations", say "I do not need that rebuilding money from you Mr Bush I am against welfare".

Then build where you want. Obvious where it floods. Do not use the two wrongs make a right excuse of California does it unless you would commit food stamp fraud because your neighbor does.

There just needs to be a limit on federal government liability for County/Parish decisions.
There is.

Same with New Orleans. Just turn down all that FEMA aid, say "no I am a red state that doesnt believe in big government disaster declarations", say "I do not need that rebuilding money from you Mr Bush I am against welfare".

That's laughable. The difference in insurance rates between flood zone B and flood zone A is astronomical, that's not rewarding people for living in a higher risk flood zone. I'm buying a house in the B zone this month actually and never considered an A zone primarily because of that.

There is.

That's laughable. The difference in insurance rates between flood zone B and flood zone A is astronomical, that's not rewarding people for living in a higher risk flood zone. I'm buying a house in the B zone this month actually and never considered an A zone primarily because of that.

I did some reading. Your flood zone B sounds like it is comparable to your 500 year flood plains. Was the deal just that good or the land so right it is worth it?

You just might never have to use that flood insurance. Then again you might have to. Some of my old friends who stayed in West Alton MO got so used to it. Lord knkws who insures them and at what cost. The roads go under every couple years, about half the houses less often. Guess if you want 1000 acres on the cheap 45 min from
downtown it is the place to be.

Sometimes places like the Gumbo flats are put behind a 500 year flood wall at cost to all of us, developed and well, maintained by all of us.

Funny thing is them walls raise the river level and what was a xxx year flood plain across the river becomes an xxx/2 year area. Ask the farmers across from Cairo IL for proof flood walls raise river levelz.

Why should the citizens of Kansas pay to prevent flooding in another state? Let Louisiana pay for their flood projects.

:clap2:
Got to feel bad for those small bayou communities that get flooded when they open the spillway tho'. Hard choices in hard times.

My son landed in New Orleans this morning and is on his way to the spill way to see what's happening there. He has an Army buddy there.
Saturday afternoon he will be here in Alabama for a visit. I'll maybe have some pictures of the devastation.

Folks really should try moving out of these areas or expect to receive no federal money WHEN they flood.

Why don't we just bulldoze New Orleans? There are other deep water ports fairly near by. Why should people up stream suffer because some idjut build a city below sea level? Think of the jobs it would create!

Got to feel bad for those small bayou communities that get flooded when they open the spillway tho'. Hard choices in hard times.

My son landed in New Orleans this morning and is on his way to the spill way to see what's happening there. He has an Army buddy there.
Saturday afternoon he will be here in Alabama for a visit. I'll maybe have some pictures of the devastation.

There is no devastation... I drive over it 2 - 3 times a week. It is just water flowing from the Mississippi River to Lake Pontchartrain out through the Rigolets into Lake Borgne and finally into the Gulf of Mexico.

Good grief.

Last edited:

I guess if you consider a few deer stands lost to be "devastation" the the Bonne Carret is the place to go.

I guess if you consider a few deer stands lost to be "devastation" the the Bonne Carret is the place to go.

Yeah.. my enduro track is definitely out of order for a while!

:lol:

All the spillway is is a uninhabited stretch of land from the river to the lake with big levees on both sides.

Why don't we just bulldoze New Orleans?
Edited. No Threats. No Family Attacks.

Why should people up stream suffer because some idjut build a city below sea level?

Half of the city is above sea level you ignorant ass crust.

The fact that I live where I do does not require that anyone else's property or livelihood be flooded to prevent it's destruction. I had the sense to buy a home above sea level and I'm deformed?

True. probably a bit more than half is above sea level. Congratulations! there are people living in NOLA with over a 60 IQ.
I love New Orleans. It's a great town. Just built in a dumb place.

OohPooPahDoo said:
Without the Morganza spillway, New Orleans would be entirely doomed and so would everything south of Baton Rouge, including much of Baton Rouge itself.

9566816-large.jpg

That spot of flooding you see on the east bank of the river and just south of Baton rouge, extending towards New Orleans, would mean the Port of South Louisiana - the largest port by tonnage in the western hemisphere - would be wiped out. Not to mention the Exxon Refinery - the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation - would at best have to shut down for many months and at worst be wiped out itself - in addition to the dozens upon dozens of petrochemical plants along the port of south Louisiana.

Because someone had some foresight over 50 years ago, this won't happen. The Morganza has only been used once - but it was not for its designed purpose. In '73 it was opened to prevent the river changing course. Had it not been opened the river would have likely changed course but the cities of Baton Rouge and New Orleans would have still been safe. Its never been used for its designed purpose - to prevent catastrophic river flooding of 2 million residents and billions of the nations most vital economic assets - until now.

If this works, I think we'll call it even with the Army Corps.

Do your homework Bozo :eusa_hand:

Whistleblowers speak in The Big Uneasy : Whistleblower Protection Blog

Maria Garzino works for USACE. When she was assigned to monitor the performance of pumps USACE ordered to drain New Orleans canals into Lake Pontchartrain, she did her job too well. When the pumps failed their tests, she reported that. USACE management decided to reduce the standards for the pumps, and the pumps still failed. USACE installed the pumps anyway, and Garzino reported that the pumps would fail. USACE relieved her of duties. She filed a whistleblower complaint with the Office of Special Counsel (OSC). OSC hired an independent engineer to examine her report. The result: not only were Garzino's concerns correct, but the whole pumping system suffered additional design flaws.

Forum List

Back