Thank god for the army corps of engineers!

The fact that I live where I do does not require that anyone else's property or livelihood be flooded to prevent it's destruction. I had the sense to buy a home above sea level and I'm deformed?
Don't really give a shit. Everything I said still applies.

True. probably a bit more than half is above sea level. Congratulations! there are people living in NOLA with over a 60 IQ.
You're a total moron.The amount of flooding you receive isn't just due to your altitude, it has to do with where the flood waters came in and the particular geography. There are places on Earth that are way below sea level that almost never flood (around the Dead Sea for instance) and places of high altitude that frequently do flood (flash flooding in the mountains isn't uncommon dumbshit). Fuck 21% of the population of the Netherlands lives below sea level.

OohPooPahDoo said:
Without the Morganza spillway, New Orleans would be entirely doomed and so would everything south of Baton Rouge, including much of Baton Rouge itself.

9566816-large.jpg

That spot of flooding you see on the east bank of the river and just south of Baton rouge, extending towards New Orleans, would mean the Port of South Louisiana - the largest port by tonnage in the western hemisphere - would be wiped out. Not to mention the Exxon Refinery - the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation - would at best have to shut down for many months and at worst be wiped out itself - in addition to the dozens upon dozens of petrochemical plants along the port of south Louisiana.

Because someone had some foresight over 50 years ago, this won't happen. The Morganza has only been used once - but it was not for its designed purpose. In '73 it was opened to prevent the river changing course. Had it not been opened the river would have likely changed course but the cities of Baton Rouge and New Orleans would have still been safe. Its never been used for its designed purpose - to prevent catastrophic river flooding of 2 million residents and billions of the nations most vital economic assets - until now.

If this works, I think we'll call it even with the Army Corps.

Do your homework Bozo :eusa_hand:

Whistleblowers speak in The Big Uneasy : Whistleblower Protection Blog

Maria Garzino works for USACE. When she was assigned to monitor the performance of pumps USACE ordered to drain New Orleans canals into Lake Pontchartrain, she did her job too well. When the pumps failed their tests, she reported that. USACE management decided to reduce the standards for the pumps, and the pumps still failed. USACE installed the pumps anyway, and Garzino reported that the pumps would fail. USACE relieved her of duties. She filed a whistleblower complaint with the Office of Special Counsel (OSC). OSC hired an independent engineer to examine her report. The result: not only were Garzino's concerns correct, but the whole pumping system suffered additional design flaws.

Dude those pumps don't have shit to do with operation of the spillways and would be utterly useless in the event of a Mississippi River levee breach no matter what. They are designed to pump rainwater into the Lake, not deal with levee breaches.

OohPooPahDoo said:
Without the Morganza spillway, New Orleans would be entirely doomed and so would everything south of Baton Rouge, including much of Baton Rouge itself.

9566816-large.jpg

That spot of flooding you see on the east bank of the river and just south of Baton rouge, extending towards New Orleans, would mean the Port of South Louisiana - the largest port by tonnage in the western hemisphere - would be wiped out. Not to mention the Exxon Refinery - the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation - would at best have to shut down for many months and at worst be wiped out itself - in addition to the dozens upon dozens of petrochemical plants along the port of south Louisiana.

Because someone had some foresight over 50 years ago, this won't happen. The Morganza has only been used once - but it was not for its designed purpose. In '73 it was opened to prevent the river changing course. Had it not been opened the river would have likely changed course but the cities of Baton Rouge and New Orleans would have still been safe. Its never been used for its designed purpose - to prevent catastrophic river flooding of 2 million residents and billions of the nations most vital economic assets - until now.

If this works, I think we'll call it even with the Army Corps.

Maria Garzino works for USACE. When she was assigned to monitor the performance of pumps USACE ordered to drain New Orleans canals into Lake Pontchartrain, she did her job too well. When the pumps failed their tests, she reported that. USACE management decided to reduce the standards for the pumps, and the pumps still failed. USACE installed the pumps anyway, and Garzino reported that the pumps would fail. USACE relieved her of duties. She filed a whistleblower complaint with the Office of Special Counsel (OSC). OSC hired an independent engineer to examine her report. The result: not only were Garzino's concerns correct, but the whole pumping system suffered additional design flaws.

Dude those pumps don't have shit to do with operation of the spillways and would be utterly useless in the event of a Mississippi River levee breach no matter what. They are designed to pump rainwater into the Lake, not deal with levee breaches.

Dufus, I was commenting on your praise of the Army Corps of Engineers

Hey Mr. Slow, my acknowledgement of their past failures should have been evident to you by the statement:

"If this works, I think we'll call it even with the Army Corps."

The Morganza and Bonne Carret are working as designed and so are the levees. So fuck off and don't jinx this for us.

Hey Mr. Slow, my acknowledgement of their past failures should have been evident to you by the statement:

"If this works, I think we'll call it even with the Army Corps."

The Morganza and Bonne Carret are working as designed and so are the levees. So fuck off and don't jinx this for us.

Hey Bayou Swamp Cricket, I read your post. Fuck the Corps and fuck superstition.

Fuck Jesus and all the other nonsense people appeal to in times of crisis. Time to man up and face reality.

that said, everything will work out just fine. I have faith .. in people (not idols or superstitions) and their ability to deal with things.

:cool:

So one government boondoggle justifies another?

If the port of new Orleans is closed, then Kansas farmers can ship their wheat by train to some other port. If the Army Corp of Engineers didn't build flood control for Louisiana, then the state would do it on its own. The people there aren't stupid, at least the ones who didn't vote for Obama aren't.

As for the oil refinery getting flooded, since when did libtards give a hoot about having adequate supplies of oil? Not a single refinery has been built in the last 40 years because of their obstruction tactics, but all of a sudden we're supposed to believe you're concerned about this one?

Gee whiz, I dunno, maybe because if the Ports of South Louisiana, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge get fucked up for months or years by flooding, Kansas farmers will have to pay out the fucking ass to export their grain? Maybe because if the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation gets flooded, they'll have to pay even more out the ass to ship their grain over land? Maybe because for decades taxpayers in Louisiana and everywhere have been subsidizing their farms with our tax dollars, including the promotion of corn ethanol over sugar ethanol?

Is that a serious question, really?

Gotta love these Compassionate Conservatives. :lol:

The problem with what you call 'compassion' is that it is not compassion. It doesn't matter which way the river flows a large group of people get hurt. I live above KY Dam, so I am very close to the Cairo IL where the water was routed in such a way that it took out prime farm land and good homes people had built for themselves. That was to save Cairo, home of about 2800 people and a lot of crime.

The water at every turn is being routed for one group of people and against another group of people. That doesn't figure into the definition of compassion. Someone gets hurt very badly either way. The task is to figure out the most PC way to do this. Cairo, IL is mostly black. And NOLA has been grousing about their racist hurricane for years now. Why do you think the president wasn't much interested until the water got to Memphis? The routing of the Mississippi flood is NOT about compassion.

The water at every turn is being routed for one group of people and against another group of people. That doesn't figure into the definition of compassion. Someone gets hurt very badly either way. The task is to figure out the most PC way to do this. Cairo, IL is mostly black. And NOLA has been grousing about their racist hurricane for years now. Why do you think the president wasn't much interested until the water got to Memphis? The routing of the Mississippi flood is NOT about compassion.

You're a complete retard. There are 2 million people who would flood without the Morganza diversion, vs. the several thousand the will flood with it. It has nothing to do with PC or skin color moron. The East Baton Rouge Parish has plenty of nice white Republicans who lick each other's asses and talk about how great it is there are less blacks than in New Orleans, I'd figure you'd want to save those people.

Last edited:

You're a complete retard. There are 2 million people who would flood without the Morganza diversion, vs. the several thousand the will flood with it. It has nothing to do with PC or skin color moron. The East Baton Rouge Parish has plenty of nice white Republicans who lick each other's asses and talk about how great it is there are less blacks than in New Orleans, I'd figure you'd want to save those people.

Ah so much vile venom, and vituperation. (Have we met before? ROFL) You address only 1 small segment of this tragedy and that is what you consider to be important. This flood has traveled many a mile, and that is through areas those of us here consider worth saving. Cairo, IL is nothing but crime. No one I know stops there even to buy gas there is so much crime. It is not worth saving. But no one asked the rest of us.

And FWIW: I am not a Republican. ;)

Last edited:
Wasn't the Corps of Engineers the bad guy when they... drove their Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry... and they failed to construct the levees to withstand the Katrina flood? It's a tough decision to ruin the lives of 25,000 people and flood 10,000 structures. Was the decision left to the Corps of Engineers?

Wasn't the Corps of Engineers the bad guy when they... drove their Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry... and they failed to construct the levees to withstand the Katrina flood? It's a tough decision to ruin the lives of 25,000 people and flood 10,000 structures. Was the decision left to the Corps of Engineers?

In the area where I live, yes it was. Those who were going to be affected sued and it went very quickly to the SCOTUS. Based upon a law that was written in 1927, when no people inhabited the area they intended to flood, the Corps of Engineers had the legal authority to do this.

Here you go. Here's a link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/missouri-levee-blast-like_n_856345.html

In my area there was no spillway to open. They blew up Bird's Point Levee, breaking it open so the water would flood people other than in the gruesome town of Cairo.

I have watched with interest all the places subjected to flooding from the Mississippi. Even those subjected to flooding by towns that have walls around them forcing the water away are much more populated than they were in the 20s and 30s when these laws were written. I don't think folks will take this lying down. Just sayin'.

A lot of nice homes were a wash. But think how much we saved on FEMA trailers. !!

Last edited:

In the area where I live, yes it was. Those who were going to be affected sued and it went very quickly to the SCOTUS. Based upon a law that was written in 1927, when no people inhabited the area they intended to flood, the Corps of Engineers had the legal authority to do this.

I have watched with interest as all the places subjected to flooding from the Mississippi and even those subjected to flooding by towns that have walls around them forcing the water away are much more populated than they were in the 20s and 30s when these laws were written.

If its not sunshine from US politics.net...

I have watched with interest as all the places subjected to flooding from the Mississippi and even those subjected to flooding by towns that have walls around them forcing the water away are much more populated than they were in the 20s and 30s when these laws were written.

If its not sunshine from US politics.net...

Do I know you? I'm sure I've met Oompaloopa before! :lol:

Better than ruining the lives of 2 million people and crippling 1/4 of our nations energy supply. Especially considering the Morganza was going to flood ANYWAY

Last edited:

Here you go. Here's a link: Missouri Levee Blast Likely: Supreme Court Rejects Attempts To Block Levee Breach

In my area there was no spillway to open. They blew up Bird's Point Levee, breaking it open so the water would flood people other than in the gruesome town of Cairo.

I have watched with interest all the places subjected to flooding from the Mississippi. Even those subjected to flooding by towns that have walls around them forcing the water away are much more populated than they were in the 20s and 30s when these laws were written. I don't think folks will take this lying down. Just sayin'.

A lot of nice homes were a wash. But think how much we saved on FEMA trailers. !!

I'm sorry, were the people of Missouri unaware there was a river there?

Aren't most major population centers built around ports, whether it be river or ocean?

Come on kids. You guys ready to tell the people of LA and San Fran to buidoze their towns and move? Of course not... who builds a city on a fault?

Come on kids. You guys ready to tell the people of LA and San Fran to buidoze their towns and move? Of course not... who builds a city on a fault?

Of course not. What they have is something I like to call "self righteous 20/20 hindsight". Do you remember any of them warning residents of New Orleans that they should move somewhere else BEFORE Katrina? Nope.

If a major city like LA were hit with a tsunami - only AFTER would those with self righteous 20/20 hindsight be saying "it wasn't that smart to live there!"

Why should the citizens of Kansas pay to prevent flooding in another state? Let Louisiana pay for their flood projects.

Gee whiz, I dunno, maybe because if the Ports of South Louisiana, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge get fucked up for months or years by flooding, Kansas farmers will have to pay out the fucking ass to export their grain? Maybe because if the 2nd largest oil refinery in the nation gets flooded, they'll have to pay even more out the ass to ship their grain over land? Maybe because for decades taxpayers in Louisiana and everywhere have been subsidizing their farms with our tax dollars, including the promotion of corn ethanol over sugar ethanol?

Is that a serious question, really?

bripat9643, this is what you call an ass woopin. It had to hurt just a bit.

Forum List

Back