Thank god for the army corps of engineers!

Aren't most major population centers built around ports, whether it be river or ocean?

Come on kids. You guys ready to tell the people of LA and San Fran to buidoze their towns and move? Of course not... who builds a city on a fault?

I am ready to tell them to do the bulldoze part. The moving part? ...kind of depends on where they go....

I think we should bulldoze your town first.

And you have a link? Or is this just all on your say so? :lol:

Check the source of the flow chart i showed you. Thats straight from the Army Corp of Engineers. The lines that look like train tracks designate what are called fuse plug levees. They are lower than the regular levee along the water, and are desgined to wear away when overtopped to protect the rest of the levee system. Sometimes when the water is rising too fast, they use explosives to "help" the levee wear away quicker.

Also, check this presentation, page 53 describes the birds point, new madrid floodway.

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/levees/Evolution%20of%20the%20Levee%20System%20Along%20the%20Mississippi.pdf

If you want more, its called google.

Yeah, and you might do a little Googling yourself if you want to categorically deny that race was a factor in this:

Since the floodwaters began to rise to near record levels last week, rhetoric has been harsh from both sides of the river. Missouri officials not only condemned the idea of blasting the levee but filed suit to stop it. Childs last week implied racism was at play, saying Cairo — a community that is 70 percent black — was on the "verge of being the next 9th Ward of New Orleans," referring to damage caused by Hurricane Katrina.

The Associated Press: Army Corps officer faces difficult choice on levee

You do know that a flood by cairo just wouldn't affect cairo, but other communities as well? That the extra pressure on the levees, above and beyond what would normally be found in a flood stage, could cause non planned failures, leading to even more destruction?

The media focused on Cairo, because the media is the equivalent of a simpleton when it comes to engineering/science topics. They popped the levee to protect the system first, because if the system failed you would have far more damage done than if they flood a designated floodway. Cairo is not a designated floodway.

Your original statement was the people of missouri had no idea their land could be used a floodway. I have proven that wrong.

And you have a link? Or is this just all on your say so? :lol:

Check the source of the flow chart i showed you. Thats straight from the Army Corp of Engineers. The lines that look like train tracks designate what are called fuse plug levees. They are lower than the regular levee along the water, and are desgined to wear away when overtopped to protect the rest of the levee system. Sometimes when the water is rising too fast, they use explosives to "help" the levee wear away quicker.

Also, check this presentation, page 53 describes the birds point, new madrid floodway.

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/levees/Evolution%20of%20the%20Levee%20System%20Along%20the%20Mississippi.pdf

Yeah, and you might do a little Googling yourself if you want to categorically deny that race was a factor in this:

Since the floodwaters began to rise to near record levels last week, rhetoric has been harsh from both sides of the river. Missouri officials not only condemned the idea of blasting the levee but filed suit to stop it. Childs last week implied racism was at play, saying Cairo — a community that is 70 percent black — was on the "verge of being the next 9th Ward of New Orleans," referring to damage caused by Hurricane Katrina.

I didn't know Mayor Judson Childs was the one who got to decide whether or not to open the floodway.

You do know that a flood by cairo just wouldn't affect cairo, but other communities as well? That the extra pressure on the levees, above and beyond what would normally be found in a flood stage, could cause non planned failures, leading to even more destruction?

The media focused on Cairo, because the media is the equivalent of a simpleton when it comes to engineering/science topics. They popped the levee to protect the system first, because if the system failed you would have far more damage done than if they flood a designated floodway. Cairo is not a designated floodway.

Your original statement was the people of missouri had no idea their land could be used a floodway. I have proven that wrong.

You have proven nothing. You have no idea what is in someone else's head. They blew the levee up to keep Cairo happy and to keep from being called racists. You know nothing about this area and your little perch in BFE doesn't give you any specialized knowledge about this area. When the laws were written to allow this there were no 'communities' out there to be affected. These areas have become populated since the laws were written and the people there deserve consideration at least as much as Cairo did. I have a sneaking feeling that people are going to go to work to get some of these laws changed.

Last edited:

I didn't know Mayor Judson Childs was the one who got to decide whether or not to open the floodway.

Judging from your posting style there is a lot you don't know.

Actually, the people of NOLA WERE told to leave, sadly, a lot didn't.

Yeah like less than 48 hours in advance.

I did. WHo needs to be told? You see a cat 3 -5 coming at you, you're stupid to stay.
You may not recall this (and for obvious reasons considering what followed was much more memorable) but Katrina was headed for the Florida panhandle. it shifted course Friday night and a lot of folks didn't know it was headed to NOLA until early Saturday (now cue fuckface piece of trash Nagin dicking around like a tool)

I remember it ALL too well. I didn't wait... I bailed with plenty of time to spare. And yes, Nagin was useless. But, he'll be going down.. his name is coming up big time in the St. Pierre trial.

He's penitentiary bound.

About Fucking Time.

Who was it that commandeered the Radio Tower that was used for Emergency Services during Katrina, in the name of Homeland Security??? The State of Louisiana Liaison of Homeland Security or Federal Homeland Security??? Who was responsible for cutting off Emergency Communications, and why. We already know the effect of it, but why was it done???

who was it that commandeered the radio tower that was used for emergency services during katrina, in the name of homeland security??? The state of louisiana liaison of homeland security or federal homeland security??? Who was responsible for cutting off emergency communications, and why. We already know the effect of it, but why was it done???

???

???

????

Yeah like less than 48 hours in advance.

You may not recall this (and for obvious reasons considering what followed was much more memorable) but Katrina was headed for the Florida panhandle. it shifted course Friday night and a lot of folks didn't know it was headed to NOLA until early Saturday (now cue fuckface piece of trash Nagin dicking around like a tool)

I remember it ALL too well. I didn't wait... I bailed with plenty of time to spare. And yes, Nagin was useless. But, he'll be going down.. his name is coming up big time in the St. Pierre trial.

He's penitentiary bound.

About Fucking Time.

He'll stay in China.....

You have proven nothing. You have no idea what is in someone else's head. They blew the levee up to keep Cairo happy and to keep from being called racists. You know nothing about this area and your little perch in BFE doesn't give you any specialized knowledge about this area. When the laws were written to allow this there were no 'communities' out there to be affected. These areas have become populated since the laws were written and the people there deserve consideration at least as much as Cairo did. I have a sneaking feeling that people are going to go to work to get some of these laws changed.

The area flooded has been a floodway since the 1930's. They flooded it when they had to. The people that moved into the floodway, by law, know the area can be flooded.

They can go ahead and change the law, but they cannot change hydraulics, the floodway was selected years ago as a viable hydraulic pathway for excess water.

I doubt any changes will happen.

Judging from your posting style there is a lot you don't know.

Really? I would think you would need to look at my posting content to ascertain what I did and did not know.

So when did the Mayor of Cairo get appointed the decider of when the New Madrid Floodway gets opened?

You have proven nothing. You have no idea what is in someone else's head. They blew the levee up to keep Cairo happy and to keep from being called racists.

Sorry baby, but they blew it because that's been the plan for decades now. I feel really sorry for you.
You know nothing about this area and your little perch in BFE doesn't give you any specialized knowledge about this area.

LOL! Why do you think they call it the New Madrid FLOODway?

When the laws were written to allow this there were no 'communities' out there to be affected. These areas have become populated since the laws were written and the people there deserve consideration at least as much as Cairo did. .

There are still more people in Cairo. You can't justify flooding 2800 people to save 200, that makes no fucking sense unless of course you're a bigot - which you are. Apparenltly 200 whites are worth more than 2800 blacks to you. sorry you live in hatred. More sorry you actually think that wanting to save 2800 people's homes at the expense of 200 homes is "racist" in anyway, its simply math that you should have learned in 1st grade - 2800 > 200 ! DUH!!!!

I have a sneaking feeling that people are going to go to work to get some of these laws changed
Of course they will! Bigots will always fight to ensure that 1000 blacks get fucked before 1 white does, we know that! No need to remind us!

Last edited:
Why should people up stream suffer because some idjut build a city below sea level?

Hmm, not really sure how they are "suffering" unless by "suffering" you mean exporting half of their exported grain through the Ports of Baton Rouge, South Louisiana, and New Orleans and being benefactors to the 1/4 of the nations energy supply that is processed in, originates in, and/or is shipped through the same region.

Why don't we just bulldoze New Orleans?

Why don't we just bulldoze the entire state of Alabama? Those fuckers were victims to bad weather this year, obviously by your standards we should bulldoze the entire state. We'll start with Tuscaloosa and all the obnoxious Gumps and end with Auburn, how bout that? Rid the Earth of the scourge that is Alabama, yall aint got shit there! Florida has better beaches and Georgia has better peaches all that 'Bama has is a football coach that wears penny loafers without socks and who BUYS mardi gras beads instead of catching them!!!!

Yeah like less than 48 hours in advance. I realize a lot of people chose to stay who did have means to leave, but not everyone had the means to get out who wanted to get out.

nobussescopydq8.jpg

When the Corps blew Bird's Point, water dropped at Paducah around a foot by the next morning. My county seat, Smithland, would have flooded -- the water crested just inches below the mile of sandbag wall they built.

Forum List

Back