Tens of Thousands of Career “Civil Service” Administrators in Washington, DC, Apoplectic That Trump Might Fire Them

Deplorable Yankee

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2019
DIXIE

Tens of Thousands of Career “Civil Service” Administrators in Washington, DC, Apoplectic That Trump Might Fire Them​

December 30, 2023 | Sundance | 295 Comments
This op-ed published in Politico is intended to sound the alarm about President Donald Trump fundamentally destroying the system of career civil service agents in Washington DC, and it’s also a little funny.

I mean, if you built an echo-chamber ideological in magnitude and scale, then self-isolated inside the DC beltway barrier, this would be exactly the type of alarm to follow.

POLITICO – […] President Donald Trump’s sweeping proposal to convert thousands of career civil servants into political appointees if he wins a second term in the White House. That plan — which has won the support of powerful, Trump-aligned conservative think tanks such as the Heritage Foundation and the America First Policy Institute — is modeled on an executive order from Trump’s first term that redesignated 20,000 civil servants in policy-related positions as “Schedule F” employees, thereby allowing them to be fired unilaterally by the president.

[…] Americans should not underestimate the damage that the reforms would do to the federal government’s ability to deliver basic services in a timely and efficient manner. “At the end of the day, it’s intuitive,” he said. “If you are selecting people on the basis of their political persuasion or their loyalty as opposed to their expertise and their commitment to the public good, you’re going to wind up with less good service and more risk for the American people.” (MORE)

Apparently, Mr. Max Stier has misread the room.

Dear, DC Career Civil Servants,
FU!
Warmest regards,
America

All links highlighted

I'm hard

Tens of Thousands of Career “Civil Service” Administrators in Washington, DC, Apoplectic That Trump Might Fire Them

This op-ed published in Politico is intended to sound the alarm about President Donald Trump fundamentally destroying the system of career civil service agents in Washington DC, and it’s also a little funny.

I mean, if you built an echo-chamber ideological in magnitude and scale, then self-isolated inside the DC beltway barrier, this would be exactly the type of alarm to follow.

POLITICO – […] President Donald Trump’s sweeping proposal to convert thousands of career civil servants into political appointees if he wins a second term in the White House. That plan — which has won the support of powerful, Trump-aligned conservative think tanks such as the Heritage Foundation and the America First Policy Institute — is modeled on an executive order from Trump’s first term that redesignated 20,000 civil servants in policy-related positions as “Schedule F” employees, thereby allowing them to be fired unilaterally by the president.

[…] Americans should not underestimate the damage that the reforms would do to the federal government’s ability to deliver basic services in a timely and efficient manner. “At the end of the day, it’s intuitive,” he said. “If you are selecting people on the basis of their political persuasion or their loyalty as opposed to their expertise and their commitment to the public good, you’re going to wind up with less good service and more risk for the American people.” (MORE)

FU!
Warmest regards,
America

All links highlighted

I'm hard
Trump wants to replace his perception of the current "deep state" with his version of inexperienced "deep state" employees? LOL

People should familiarize themselves with "the spoils system" (also called the patronage system) that existed in our past. Under this system government jobs were awarded not based on merit but based on putting people into positions as rewards for supporting the candidate that won the election.

The Pendleton Act of of 1883 began the process of converting government jobs based on cronyism and nepotism, instead requiring hiring based on a system based on merit and skills.

A reasonable person would not believe that cronyism/nepotisms is preferred over merit/skills.

WW

Good....Gut the agencies like a fish.....Make Virginia deep red again as most .gov employees live in NOtVA enjoying lavish and overextended lifestyles on our dime.
The man next door to me was a GS-15, and retired at a high pension, that also goes up with inflation. Then he contracted back to his old agency to do the exact same work as a contractor, at 3x the rate.

So, let’s do the math: He was earning $150,000 a year as an employee. Now he ”earns” about $100,000 in pension, but $400,000 a year as a contractor. That’s $500,000 a year - with many weeks “off” (he takes his IPad with him and puts in for hours) in Europe, Aspen, and the like.

Now multiply by 50,000 government employees doing the same.

The man next door to me was a GS-15, and retired at a high pension, that also goes up with inflation. Then he contracted back to his old agency to do the exact same work as a contractor, at 3x the rate.

So, let’s do the math: He was earning $150,000 a year as an employee. Now he ”earns” about $100,000 in pension, but $400,000 a year as a contractor. That’s $500,000 a year - with many weeks “off” (he takes his IPad with him and puts in for hours) in Europe, Aspen, and the like.

Now multiply by 50,000 government employees doing the same.

I've seen this type of scenario before.

Welcome to the world of "RIF" and "Hiring Freeze" and unintended consequences. Not filling positions doesn't decrease the amount of work to be done, especially in highly skilled and technical areas.

So when the positions aren't filled with with government employees and the work is still a requirement, the work gets contracted out.

I'll retire in about 2 years and I'm a highly specialized (non-federal government job) IT/Business Analytics job. I've told my boss (we've been together for 25 years) that I will not leave her high and dry though. Once I retire I'm willing to return as a retired "Temp" with my leaving rate of pay for 1 year to train my replacement.

But I refuse, REFUSE to do "contractor" work. I've done that before on the side and dealing with an organization as an individual "contractor" sucks. Which is a much different world than being an employee of a company that then supplies the contracted employee.

WW

Welcome to the world of "RIF" and "Hiring Freeze" and unintended consequences. Not filling positions doesn't decrease the amount of work to be done, especially in highly skilled and technical areas.

So when the positions aren't filled with with government employees and the work is still a requirement, the work gets contracted out.

I'll retire in about 2 years and I'm a highly specialized (non-federal government job) IT/Business Analytics job. I've told my boss (we've been together for 25 years) that I will not leave her high and dry though. Once I retire I'm willing to return as a retired "Temp" with my leaving rate of pay for 1 year to train my replacement.

But I refuse, REFUSE to do "contractor" work. I've done that before on the side and dealing with an organization as an individual "contractor" sucks. Which is a much different world than being an employee of a company that then supplies the contracted employee.

WW
Qualify "the amount of work to be done".

In most cases it's work that furthers the .gov's hold on the population through agency regulation and overstep.....We don't need anymore of that.

WW
Not entirely correct. We have an army of “work-from-home” government workers who do not put in full days. it’s one of the biggest scams going - and they actually laugh about it. if we required government workers to do full-time jobs, we could reduce the contract work.

For example, a woman I know is a GS-14 and, like almost all govt workers I know, works one day a week from the office. Other days, she is puttimg in partial days - meeting friends for 2-hour lunches, taking long walks, in summer soaking up the sun by the pool, and so forth.

Now here’s the kicker: she wanted to hire me as a contractor to do the some of the very work she was hired to do! (We were both in the same field.) Now why couldn’t she be in the office, every day, doing that work instead of playing “half-days” and then making taxpayers pay her full salary AND that of the contractor?

We need to get full-time govt workers back to full-time work.

Not that anyone needs a reason not to vote for the blob beyond his making fun of a handicapped person but this is just another good reason to not vote for him.
Yeah cause we need all those taxpayer leeches riiighhtt. How many are shivering in place yet cause covid

FU!
Warmest regards,
America

All links highlighted

I'm hard
These are just pencil pushers who work a 9 to 5. The deep state of your bizarre fantasy doesn't exist, and these people are not it.

They just want to feed their families. Freaks like you hate them.

These are just pencil pushers who work a 9 to 5. The deep state of your bizarre fantasy doesn't exist, and these people are not it.

They just want to feed their families. Freaks like you hate them.
The problem is they do not work 9 to 5. They log on to their computers for a couple of hours in the morning, then run errands, have extended lunches with friends in other states, do household chores, even take in a movie, enjoy a nice long walk, or hit the gym for an hour. (Not all in the same day of course.) Then they do a couple hours more work in the late afternoon, and repeat again the next day.

They also take the laptop computers with them on vacations - to ski resorts, to Europe, wherever - and say it’s a working vacation. They claim no annual leave.

Forum List

Back