Tennessee allows Government Officials to refuse to approve marriages they don’t agree with

So they have to give up their religious beliefs entirely?

Sorry, but that doesn't fly. The line is at the clerk. They are just issuing the document, not formalizing or solemnizing it as the officiant is.

What is with the left's need to force everyone to believe and act like they do OR ELSE?
I can tell this means a lot to you. I am surprised you have not moved to a state that allows discrimination by public officials in their office duties. Maybe you can get a law of this nature passed where you live.

I can tell this means a lot to you. I am surprised you have not moved to a state that allows discrimination by public officials in their office duties. Maybe you can get a law of this nature passed where you live.
If a notary or a state government official does not want to treat people equally, it is a problem of that individual and not the residents of that state. If you don't want to comply with the law, don't become a notary or work for the state. The TN law effectively allows discrimination. It is overbroad and vague and will undoubtedly be ruled unconstitutional in the near future.

Last edited:
Gee that has so many loop holes that you can play basketball all day long.

So do government or public officials have the right to refuse ?

They are providing a public service to citizens

mark your calendar's for the court date

Discrimination

Discrimination refers to the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.

It would work for individuals and businesses and the Supreme court has upheld it

So in reality this law has no effect except on public officials.

The Supreme court has already ruled that individuals and businesses can discriminate based on religious preferences

with a 6-3 decision in favor of private companies or businesses can refuse on religious grounds

State is now getting into the picture. Let's see where the court will go on this by opening the flood gates.

Last edited:

Officiating weddings isn't usually anyone's official duty. It's why I'm OK with forcing clerks to issue the licenses regardless of their beliefs, because it is part of their official duties.

Unlike you I can draw the line somewhere. Your side evidently can't compromise.

Gee that has so many loop holes that you can play basketball all day long.

So do government or public officials have the right to refuse ?

They are providing a public service to citizens

mark your calendar's for the court date

Discrimination

Discrimination refers to the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.

It would work for individuals and businesses and the Supreme court has upheld it

So in reality this law has no effect except on public officials.

The Supreme court has already ruled that individuals and businesses can discriminate based on religious preferences

with a 6-3 decision in favor of private companies or businesses can refuse on religious grounds

State is now getting into the picture

For one function, officiating weddings. Not issuing the licenses, officiating.

So a person can't be a mayor, governor or any other elected office at all if they don't bend the knee and agree to officiate same sex weddings?

Sounds like a 1st amendment violation to me.
No, No so. Officiating at weddings is not mandatory for any of those position, nor is it for judges. They can simply decline to marry anyone . They just can't discriminate

No, No so. Officiating at weddings is not mandatory for any of those position, nor is it for judges. They can simply decline to marry anyone . They just can't discriminate

Why not?

Why should the be forced to officiate all weddings if they just want to do certain ones?

So if you oppose same sex marriage you can't run for any government office. got it.
What you get and don't get seems tied to vocabulary shortcommings. There is a difference between "cannot" and "should not" regarding constitutional officers and their office duties.

What you get and don't get seems tied to vocabulary shortcommings. There is a difference between "cannot" and "should not" regarding constitutional officers and their office duties.

What you are failing to see are the practical concerns involving forcing them to officiate or give up their office, or not even run for it. You are confusing issuing the license with officiating the marriage.

Forum List

Back