Tennessee allows Government Officials to refuse to approve marriages they don’t agree with

County court clerks, should be serving all the residents of the county, not just the right wing Christian community.

The problem could become that County Court Clerks willing to perform same sex marriages may not be appointed

An obvious attempt to deny gays the right to marriage

But it does not limit itself to same sex marriage.

If a couple is interracial, can they be denied marriage?
If the couple has engaged in adultery, can you deny marriage for religious reasons.
If you think the bride is too ugly or too fat, can you deny the marriage because you find it repulsive?

All it impacts is the person who signs off on the marriage license as the officiant, it doesn't protect the people who have to issue the license.

“As societal views change about what constitutes a marriage, officiants must be able to refuse to solemnize marriages that are contrary to their beliefs,” Fritts said during the meeting. “The government has a responsibility to protect the exercise of religious beliefs. … Those with the authority to perform civil ceremonies would also be permitted to refuse to solemnize marriage for reasons of conscience.”

No impact on having to issue a license. Do you really want someone to solemnize your marriage who doesn't believe in your marriage?

Are sister/wife marriages being excluded in the southern states?
Probably yes, but some of those shit hole red states will let a 40 year old marry a 12 year old. And, I am willing to bet that there are son crackers in positions of authoritywho would not object. Those some crackers would have a problem with marrying two consenting adults just because they have the same equipment between their legs

Mayor, Justice of the Peace, Judge…..

They aren't required to officiate, they can be requested to officiate.

This doesn't protect clerks from not wanting to issue licenses, which I agree with, that is actually their job, and their issuing the license has nothing to do with them approving of it.

Officiating does have to do with approval, thus people shouldn't be forced to do what they don't want to.

Probably yes, but some of those shit hole red states will let a 40 year old marry a 12 year old. And, I am willing to bet that there are son crackers in positions of authoritywho would not object. Those some crackers would have a problem with marrying two consenting adults just because they have the same equipment between their legs
Here in TN we dont let crackers in positions of authority. Thats kind of silly to even imagine.

Chaplain, county clerk, notary in this state's language.

Agreed the language would be better tailored to exclude governmental persons.

So I can force a Catholic Chaplain to solemnize a Hindu wedding?

There is no REQUIREMENT for these people to officiate weddings, they are PERMITTED to do so, same as ministers.

An obvious attempt to deny gays the right to marriage

But it does not limit itself to same sex marriage.

If a couple is interracial, can they be denied marriage?
If the couple has engaged in adultery, can you deny marriage for religious reasons.
If you think the bride is too ugly or too fat, can you deny the marriage because you find it repulsive?
You trying to destroy the Democrats party?

They always seem to be very selective as to which part of the Bible they choose to enforce.

A couple with a child are allowed to marry
Atheists can marry
Some religions ban interfaith or interracial marriages

Yet it only seems to be same sex marriages that offend their religious sensibilities

Forum List

Back