Tempe police reportedly asked to leave Starbucks

A group of Tempe police officers were reportedly asked to move or leave a Starbucks coffee shop on the Fourth of July because a customer felt uncomfortable.

According to a tweet from the Tempe Officers Association, six Tempe Police Department officers were drinking coffee before their shift at the Starbucks near Scottsdale and McKellips roads when a barista told them a customer "did not feel safe" by their presence.

The barista allegedly asked the officers to move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave, the tweet states.

"This treatment of public safety workers could not be more disheartening. While the barista was polite, making such a request at all was offensive. Unfortunately, such treatment has become all too common in 2019," the organization wrote. "We know this is not a national policy at Starbucks Corporate and we look forward to working collaboratively with them on this important dialogue."

Reggie Borges, a spokesperson for Starbucks, said the company is still gathering details about the incident.

"We have a deep respect for the Tempe Police and their service to the community," he said. "We've reached out to the Tempe Police Department and Tempe Officers Association to better understand what happened and apologize. We want everyone in our stores to feel welcomed and the incident described is not indicative of what we want any of our customers to feel in our stores."

Borges declined to comment about any disciplinary actions.

Starbucks Corporate seems to be handling the situation pretty well, but the barista never should have made such a request in the first place. The customer who made the request should have been the one asked to leave. One costumer compared to a group guaranteed to come in and buy coffee and donuts all the time? Sounds like a no-brainer.

I wonder how the dumbass would feel if they were being robbed and the police stayed outside and just watched it all go down. I mean they wouldn't want to come into a place they weren't wanted would they?

You say that as if a cop not doing his job because he just doesn't want to is perfectly normal. Lots of cops would agree with you. How many other professions do you think should have that option?

I didn't say anything of the sort, dipshit. Learn to read for pity sake.

Well, what would you call it if a cop just stayed outside and watched a crime happen?

A group of Tempe police officers were reportedly asked to move or leave a Starbucks coffee shop on the Fourth of July because a customer felt uncomfortable.

According to a tweet from the Tempe Officers Association, six Tempe Police Department officers were drinking coffee before their shift at the Starbucks near Scottsdale and McKellips roads when a barista told them a customer "did not feel safe" by their presence.

The barista allegedly asked the officers to move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave, the tweet states.

"This treatment of public safety workers could not be more disheartening. While the barista was polite, making such a request at all was offensive. Unfortunately, such treatment has become all too common in 2019," the organization wrote. "We know this is not a national policy at Starbucks Corporate and we look forward to working collaboratively with them on this important dialogue."

Reggie Borges, a spokesperson for Starbucks, said the company is still gathering details about the incident.

"We have a deep respect for the Tempe Police and their service to the community," he said. "We've reached out to the Tempe Police Department and Tempe Officers Association to better understand what happened and apologize. We want everyone in our stores to feel welcomed and the incident described is not indicative of what we want any of our customers to feel in our stores."

Starbucks Corporate seems to be handling the situation pretty well, but the barista never should have made such a request in the first place. The customer who made the request should have been the one asked to leave. One costumer compared to a group guaranteed to come in and buy coffee and donuts all the time? Sounds like a no-brainer.

I wonder how the dumbass would feel if they were being robbed and the police stayed outside and just watched it all go down. I mean they wouldn't want to come into a place they weren't wanted would they?

You say that as if a cop not doing his job because he just doesn't want to is perfectly normal. Lots of cops would agree with you. How many other professions do you think should have that option?

Well, what would you call it if a cop just stayed outside and watched a crime happen?

So if you asked them to not enter your store and they complied with your request, while you are being robbed, you would get mad? They did as you requested. Hell, you saved yourself from getting beaten or killed as you keep claiming.

So if you asked them to not enter your store and they complied with your request, while you are being robbed, you would get mad? They did as you requested. Hell, you saved yourself from getting beaten or killed as you keep claiming.

You know that was a dumb remark, right?

Starbucks did not their criminal customers to feel uncomfortable knowing that have outstanding warrants.

Word spreads among those who serve the public.

The day will come when someone keels over in that shop with a drug overdose.

Or maybe there'll be a fire.

Only a sense of duty might bring salvation.

But it really shouldn't.

I realize it was a dumb remark , however considering who I was responding to I knew it was smarter than any of your dumb remarks, which isn’t tough to do. Thats the problem when I sink to your level. I apologize.

Last edited:
Don't like starbucks? Don't go there.

Problem solved.

I quit drinking that liberal bean juice years ago. But if they’re being scum to law enforcement I’m gonna say something. Is that ok with you?
Aren't you republican types real big on capitalism?

Yeah we're tired of the British..let's fight them

Tulsi has a beautiful ass I’ll give her that.

Last edited:

Lots of videos of cops shooting people or beating them, or planting evidence on them with no justification whatsoever. It's reasonable for people are scared of the cops.

In a Starbucks? Oh, yeah...that happens almost daily! No wonder that other customer didn't feel "safe"! (eye roll!)

Starbucks has their collective heads up their collective asses! Why anyone would pay for their overpriced coffee is beyond me. I'd rather hit Dunkin!

Liberals: You don't need a gun to protect yourself, just call the police.

Also liberals: The presence of police is unsafe and they should leave.

Liberals: You don't need a gun to protect yourself, just call the police.

Also liberals: The presence of police is unsafe and they should leave.

Oh? You were there in this Tempe Starbucks? And this single person was "Liberals" was she?

Or is it "were she"?

But it really shouldn't.

Well, a sense of duty, and the fact that they should do the job they were hired to do. When did cops first start thinking that doing the job they were hired to do was on;y an option? If you think your bruised ego is an excuse not to do your job, you are a bad cop, and should be booted out.

I realize it was a dumb remark , however considering who I was responding to I knew it was smarter than any of your dumb remarks, which isn’t tough to do. Thats the problem when I sink to your level. I apologize.

Alex Jones should be proud of you.

Not sure what happened; I’ve heard conflicting stories.

But really, it would seem as though Starbucks would do well to hire someone to stress to their workforce that if someone comes into their store and wants to buy coffee or just hang out for a while waiting for someone else…to either sell them the coffee or let them hang out if they aren’t harassing other customers.

Its nothing to do with politics…it should be common freakin’ sense to someone working retail.

Alex Jones should be proud of you.

Don’t ever read, listen or watch Jones, he is a nut just like you. Carry on with your dumb statements.

But it really shouldn't.

Well, a sense of duty, and the fact that they should do the job they were hired to do. When did cops first start thinking that doing the job they were hired to do was on;y an option? If you think your bruised ego is an excuse not to do your job, you are a bad cop, and should be booted out.

Police will definitely go into places where they aren't welcome because it is their job to do it.

But if they aren't welcome someplace, they will be going into the place in full swat mode. Just like if they were raiding the home of El Chapo or Roger Stone.

I'm sure there is Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts which are more open to police officers to hang out in, if Starbucks doesn't want them.

Lots of videos of cops shooting people or beating them, or planting evidence on them with no justification whatsoever. It's reasonable for people are scared of the cops.
Using that logic, black people should be shunned too, given their rampant crime problems. Are you sure you want to use this standard?

This is what the left has always done, deny people they do not like service and then pretend it is the country to blame.

The Tempe Officers Association says it feels "encouraged" by Starbucks' apology after police officers were asked to leave an Arizona Starbucks on Independence Day.

• Starbucks screwed up. Plain and simple. Sorry ain’t gonna cut it

Using that logic, black people should be shunned too, given their rampant crime problems. Are you sure you want to use this standard?

As a general rule, most black folk aren't being paid to uphold the law and serve the public. Cops are.

There was a time when cops did not shoot like you see today. What happened? Who changed? Who did not change? Why?

Good question.

I think part of the problem is that because the NRA has flooded our streets with guns, they are a little more trigger-happy now.

I also think part of the problem is that after the Rodney King incident, where the cops got into a lot of trouble because taking down a PCP-induced rage looked so bad, cops figure it's safer to just shoot.

Forum List

Back