Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

CaféAuLait;8717120 said:
CaféAuLait;8717051 said:
That would be the attorney she moved in with. :eusa_whistle:

Yeah ... I saw where he was looking for 12k plus payday out of it as well.

Flippin crazy IMO!

The other crazy aspect, she just might have a case, given the case law stated in the above article. I say that because school officials state they heard her mom state she never wanted to speak to her again, the school also advised the student to contact SWS because of allegations she made against her parents AND the result of the meetings and words exchanged by her parents.

OMG! Can I still sue my parents for all the harsh words they spoke to me?!! How about the "abuse" I had to endure as part of my father's misguided attempts at parenthood?!! I can assure you, I far more often declared my hatred of my parents and their rules than they declared their hatred of me.

A New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife,” Rachel's father, Sean Canning, a town administrator and retired police officer, tells the Daily Record. “We have a child we want home. We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home, and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’” The rules, he notes, include reconsidering her relationship with a boyfriend who may be a bad influence, being respectful, and abiding by her curfew. He and his wife, Elizabeth, who live in suburban Lincoln Park, about 25 miles outside of New York City, have kept their daughter’s car because they paid for it, says Canning, and he admits that they did stop paying Rachel's tuition at the private Morris Catholic High School. A hearing is scheduled to take place on Tuesday in the Morris County Superior Court.

Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

I think this young woman is in the wrong, because she refused to abide by her parents' rules while living in their home. What do you guys think of this situation?

I think she's wrong too, but in this upside down crazy world, she'll probably win.

Unless they can have their lawyer move to have her drug tested. From the article, it sounds like her behavior has gotten more erratic lately. They should have dropped her while she was still at home.

CaféAuLait;8717046 said:
Here is a longer article on the matter.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...HS-senior-suing-parents-who-won-t-pay-college

Apparently the guy she moved in with is a lawyer. He is advising her and financing her lawsuit. Her High School states there were tension between her and her parents, where the mother called her a 'foulname' and then said she never wanted to speak to her daughter again. The parents state she was suspended from school numerous times and disregarded their rules., in fact Social workers found her 'spoiled' and the parents were not 'abusing' her as their daughter alleged before she moved from the home.

The article above states NJ law:

A child is not emancipated until they’re on their own,” Simon said. “Even if a child and the parents don’t get along, that doesn’t relieve the parents of their responsibility.” Laufer noted that under New Jersey law, a child can still be declared nonemancipated even if there is a hiatus between high school graduation and college.

OTOH her parents attorney say:

Attorney Laurie Rush-Masuret, who represents the parents, said in court papers that Rachel emancipated herself and removed herself from her parent’s “sphere of influence” by voluntarily moving out of their house “as she did not want to abide by her parents’ rules....”

I believe the parents should pay the remainder of her High School dues, since they already contracted with the school to do so and that should be the end of it, unless there is information they kicked her out.

Okay, she's been painted pretty dark here, but:

Judge Peter Bogaard, sitting in Morristown, has scheduled a hearing for Tuesday. Rachel Canning’s lawyer, Tanya N. Helfand, will ask that parents Sean and Elizabeth Canning, who haven’t paid an outstanding $5,306 Morris Catholic tuition bill, be ordered to settle that debt, pay Rachel’s current living and transportation expenses, and commit an existing college fund to their daughter, who has received acceptance letters from several universities and has to make a decision this spring.

Furthermore,

High School honor student and athlete

a cheerleader and lacrosse player who has aspirations to be a biomedical engineer,

Doesn't sound to me like an out of control brat, and she may well have contributed to the existing college fund that her parents are withholding from her!

Another thought - divorced and separated non-custodial parents are required to pay support for kids in college. Isn't it a bit of a disservice to kids from intact - if dysfunctional -families who are able to pay but choose not to are NOT required to?

also,

According to letters included with the lawsuit, Rachel has been accepted at the University of Vermont, William Paterson University, Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla., Wells College in Aurora, N.Y., and has applications pending to other institutions. She has been offered scholarships — including $20,000 a year to study at Wells — but also would be reliant on the college fund established by her parents and other financial aid and grants.

“Rachel is likeable, communicates exceptionally well and is highly motivated to attend and excel at a college appropriate for her. That is why my wife and I have decided to fund this lawsuit. We know that if Mr. and Mrs. Canning are not required to fulfill their legal obligations as parents, that Rachel’s ability to fulfill her potential will be greatly diminished,” Inglesino wrote the court.

So it isn't as if she's run off with the village idiot, staying with disreputable company, or engaged in unlawful behaviors. The kid never had a PINS petition, and her parents sound to me as if they're making shit up.

also,

According to letters included with the lawsuit, Rachel has been accepted at the University of Vermont, William Paterson University, Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla., Wells College in Aurora, N.Y., and has applications pending to other institutions. She has been offered scholarships — including $20,000 a year to study at Wells — but also would be reliant on the college fund established by her parents and other financial aid and grants.

“Rachel is likeable, communicates exceptionally well and is highly motivated to attend and excel at a college appropriate for her. That is why my wife and I have decided to fund this lawsuit. We know that if Mr. and Mrs. Canning are not required to fulfill their legal obligations as parents, that Rachel’s ability to fulfill her potential will be greatly diminished,” Inglesino wrote the court.

So it isn't as if she's run off with the village idiot, staying with disreputable company, or engaged in unlawful behaviors. The kid never had a PINS petition, and her parents sound to me as if they're making shit up.

Looks like she has a mark lined up to foot the bill for her should her parents "default".

Who do you have to blow to get that kind of deal?

Rachel is likable to those she manipulates.
I hope she loses. What a brat.

also,

As I said in my earlier posts, I question the parents as well. But I would not put that much into what her lawyer SLASH boyfriends father SLASH person with financial interest of 12k plus in hiring his lawyer friend has TBH.

Her parents have also stated they would pay her college costs, but insist she wishes to use it for other means but said they would pay the college directly-- and she was not happy with that.

A New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife,” Rachel's father, Sean Canning, a town administrator and retired police officer, tells the Daily Record. “We have a child we want home. We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home, and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’” The rules, he notes, include reconsidering her relationship with a boyfriend who may be a bad influence, being respectful, and abiding by her curfew. He and his wife, Elizabeth, who live in suburban Lincoln Park, about 25 miles outside of New York City, have kept their daughter’s car because they paid for it, says Canning, and he admits that they did stop paying Rachel's tuition at the private Morris Catholic High School. A hearing is scheduled to take place on Tuesday in the Morris County Superior Court.

I think this young woman is in the wrong, because she refused to abide by her parents' rules while living in their home. What do you guys think of this situation?

This is how it goes in the liberal world we live in, brainwashed by schools into believing she is entitled to her parents money...What Horse shit.

Wealthy people can be shitty parents too, people. The assumptions that it's the kid who's wrong in this instance, that the parents are all they say they are, is very telling.

I think a couple of lawyers are about to separate some fools from their money.

Wealthy people can be shitty parents too, people. The assumptions that it's the kid who's wrong in this instance, that the parents are all they say they are, is very telling.

Of course they can be. Why do you assume they are wealthy? He is a retired cop. I'm not sure what you think they are saying about themselves. They admitted they had conversations which got out of hand and they regret. Teens can push boundaries. Both side are making some pretty deep allegations. I suppose the truth will out.

i don't know enough about the facts, but based on the coverage, she sounds like a spoiled brat.

but it will all come out in court.

Last edited:
Personally, I think college tuition should either be free or on a scale depending on ability to pay.

That said?

This young woman has all sorts of options open to her.

There are plenty of grants and stipends.

She could also join the military or find a job that offers to partially pay for college.

Suing her parents is definitely the wrong way to go.

IMO - she does not have a case.
But in today's legal system that is not so parent-friendly and entitlement happy - who is to say?
More than once a parent had to give back a car that they bought and was in their name.

Now...the weird thing here is that her best friends father is paying for the legal case???
WTF is up wit that?

I worked my way through 6 years of university. On a few occasions, my parents sent me some emergency pocket money, which I had to, reluctantly, ask for. All told, I figured my parents contributed about $1,500 to my university education, which is a master's degree, and that was a burden for them: I come from very simple people, low income people, and I was the first in my extended family to ever go to college. However, if a parent has the money, I think they should pay for their child's education, if the child is serious about an education. It is much easier to do better and devote yourself entirely to your studies if you are not distracted by a job. But forcing your parents to pay for it? That's just weak. The kid needs the backbone to take care of it him or herself if the parents can't or won't provide the funds.

Last edited:
controlling the nearly adult child is always a cluster fuck but it is normally done with money simple as that...when she becomes 18 her parents owe her nothing...her parents owe nothing to her best friends family who took her in....if that had not happened ...the girl and her family may have been able to come to a compromise

Forum List

Back