CDZ Teen Pregnancy

aye...that would harm the child or fetus..cutting off funding to the mother....so you are punishing a child/fetus for the actions of the mother....

Something I'd like to see happen for those that decide to get knocked up while still a kid is for there to be several requirements in order for them to get any public assistance at all.

1. They must remain in school until they earn their diploma.
2. They must attend parenting classes and receive counseling each week until they graduate high school and are off public assistance.
3. They must attend and participate in a support group that is specific for teen moms.
4. They must talk to other students in a classroom setting about what the impact of being pregnant in middle/high school has had on them.
5. They must be involved in a career development program and be required to apply to local colleges if they intend to stay on public assistance after graduating high school.

I don't disagree with any of this. These are all things that I have supported all along. However, I thought you didn't want to support the teens and their babies? I thought you just wanted to ignore them and whatever happens to them, tough shit? That's the impression that you give anyway, that you don't give a care as long as your tax payer dollars are not spent on them. Do you think the government would give you back your money? Do you think they would lower your taxes to any significant degree? Or do you think they would just spend the money elsewhere?

Personally, I'm completely in favor of providing high quality birth control, such as norplants, to teenage girls who are at high risk of becoming pregnant.
If, as suggested by one of these same teen mothers, we can mandate education, we could certainly mandate tubal ligation or Norplant.

If you compare the rates of teen pregnancies in countries without the denial we have about when kids start desiring sex you see that accepting reality results in fewer pregnancies, not more.

What, in your opinion, is the biggest cause of teen pregnancy in middle/high school girls? Is it low self esteem, no parental guidance, peer pressure, ignorance, etc?

What are your thoughts on tax payers having to pay for medical care for pregnant teens and their baby(babies, if that's the case), along with food stamps, WIC programs, housing assistance, etc?

It can be any of those reasons or a combination of all of the above. Teens need assistance because they don't have any education or experience to offer an employer, therefore, they will be working minimum wage jobs which are not enough to get by, so they will STILL need support.

Also, some teens don't have very good families. Some come from broken homes, abusive homes, or no home at all. Some are runaways and are desperate.

Social service supports helps all of us by keeping poverty to a minimum, which in turn means less slums, shanty towns, starving, neglected and beaten children.

it of course does no such thing.
It breeds more poverty, slums, shanty towns, crime etc.

If the War on Poverty worked, it would be one thing, but, all WOP has done is turn us into a nation of bastards.

Personally, I'm completely in favor of providing high quality birth control, such as norplants, to teenage girls who are at high risk of becoming pregnant.
If, as suggested by one of these same teen mothers, we can mandate education, we could certainly mandate tubal ligation or Norplant.

eugenics
I have no problem with eugenics.

Jus look at the fleets of short busses school districts must maintain today.

"The Netherlands has a low rate of births and abortions among teenagers (5 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002...

in some countries, such as Italy and Spain, the low rate of adolescent pregnancy (6 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002 in both countries...

Denmark and Sweden, also have low rates of teenage birth (both have 7 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002

Norway's birth rate is slightly higher (11 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002

Iceland has a birth rate of 19 per 1,000 women aged 15–19

The U.S. teen birth rate was 53 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002"
Prevalence of teenage pregnancy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Biggest difference between the USA and above countries is we suppress sex and deny teens are sexual just like adults.

"The Netherlands has a low rate of births and abortions among teenagers (5 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002...

in some countries, such as Italy and Spain, the low rate of adolescent pregnancy (6 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002 in both countries...

Denmark and Sweden, also have low rates of teenage birth (both have 7 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002

Norway's birth rate is slightly higher (11 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19 in 2002

Biggest difference between the USA and above countries is we suppress sex and deny teens are sexual just like adults.
No, the biggest difference is the societal shame factor.

But it is not PC to shame the shameful here.

If you compare the rates of teen pregnancies in countries without the denial we have about when kids start desiring sex you see that accepting reality results in fewer pregnancies, not more.

I agree with AGE-APPROPRIATE sex education in schools. The problem is that a lot of parents would choose to opt out because of religious beliefs, or because they believe that their sweet little angels would never have sex and would never do things without telling them. :)

I can say that my parents never really talked to me about sex. Everything I knew about sex, I learned from my friends. Lol.

What, in your opinion, is the biggest cause of teen pregnancy in middle/high school girls? Is it low self esteem, no parental guidance, peer pressure, ignorance, etc?

What are your thoughts on tax payers having to pay for medical care for pregnant teens and their baby(babies, if that's the case), along with food stamps, WIC programs, housing assistance, etc?
Biology.

Wow! That's really great. There will still be some teens that will end up getting pregnant though. They are still going to need help, and I do see it as my responsibility to help care for them and their babies. I can't imagine what could become of them without social supports.

I agree with AGE-APPROPRIATE sex education in schools. The problem is that a lot of parents would choose to opt out because of religious beliefs, or because they believe that their sweet little angels would never have sex and would never do things without telling them. :)

I can say that my parents never really talked to me about sex. Everything I knew about sex, I learned from my friends. Lol.

Have mixed feelings about sex-ed in school. As a fact of life thing it's sensible for schools to teach it. But on the other hand it's a personal and very intimate thing too that should come from kids' parents. Seems like sex-ed from school is due to the reality parents don't usually teach it, or insufficiently.

But what works in other countries shouldn't be thought of how we should do it here because the cultures are radically different. If the culture is repressive of sexuality, frank or explicit sex-ed wont work, or at least not as well as in the more permissive cultures. Then again, if the repressive culture's sex-ed reflects the repressive nature of society, the value of the watered down version is dubious. Bit of a catch-22.

welfare and lack of personal responsibility. Single parent homes. Break down in traditional family values brought on by a liberal onslaught since the 1960's. Break down all vestiges of the "old society" and you can create the "new society." that's what Marx said in his manifesto. Democrats have just about got us there.

welfare and lack of personal responsibility. Single parent homes. Break down in traditional family values brought on by a liberal onslaught since the 1960's. Break down all vestiges of the "old society" and you can create the "new society." that's what Marx said in his manifesto. Democrats have just about got us there.
:rolleyes: Teen pregnancy was at its highest in the 1950s and has declined since then.

Come join us in this decade. We are NOT going back to the 1950s, thankfully.

Have mixed feelings about sex-ed in school. As a fact of life thing it's sensible for schools to teach it. But on the other hand it's a personal and very intimate thing too that should come from kids' parents. Seems like sex-ed from school is due to the reality parents don't usually teach it, or insufficiently.

But what works in other countries shouldn't be thought of how we should do it here because the cultures are radically different. If the culture is repressive of sexuality, frank or explicit sex-ed wont work, or at least not as well as in the more permissive cultures. Then again, if the repressive culture's sex-ed reflects the repressive nature of society, the value of the watered down version is dubious. Bit of a catch-22.

I think it's important to reiterate to teens that along with sex, comes HUGE responsibility. It's not just a game. There are serious consequences, and a combination of safe sex techniques as well as abstinence should be taught. Teens are naturally risk takers, so I still imagine there will be some that just wouldn't listen.

If they get pregnant again while on public assistance or still in public schools, all assistance is terminated immediately.

That is a terrible idea. My God. You don't see the bigger picture obviously. You need to open your mind and look at the big picture. It will help you to understand the world better. :)

How is it a terrible idea? If they are already in trouble with 1 child, on public assistance, and in public schools, why can't the public have a say in whether or not the taxpayers must continue to support this person? It's obvious in this case that the person is not going to learn from their mistakes.

Forum List

Back