CDZ Teen Pregnancy

We don't pay them to have babies. We help them to support babies they already have or are expected to have. I agree, most teens do not want to have babies, but they still want to have sex. :)

When we pay to support babies they choose to have, we are paying them to have babies.

The worst part is that this is terrible for the children involved. It negatively affects their longterm outcomes in life to be raised by a teen parent. Children of teen parents, as shown above, are more likely to be abused/neglected, do poorly in school, become teen parents themselves, and go to prison than kids from two parent homes, or even the children of older single moms.

Subsidizing teens as parents is part of why children are doing worse in society than ever before.

I see you posting a lot about how teens want to have sex, and nothing about what is in the best interest of the children of teen parents. I don't give a fuck that teens want to have sex; those who do and manage to get pregnant are typically poorly parented, and don't need to pass along their bad behaviors to another generation of children.

If we stopped giving them a check, teens would be less likely to keep their babies and parent them badly.

Some people cannot have the Norplant. What if the parents are against birth control for religious reasons? What if the child is allergic to it? That happens sometimes. There are also some serious side effects that birth control pills can cause, so some women cannot use them at all.

Teenagers aren't entitled to a government subsidy because they can't keep their legs closed.

We don't pay them to have babies. We help them to support babies they already have or are expected to have. I agree, most teens do not want to have babies, but they still want to have sex. :)

1. When we pay to support babies they choose to have, we are paying them to have babies.

2. The worst part is that this is terrible for the children involved. It negatively affects their longterm outcomes in life to be raised by a teen parent. Children of teen parents, as shown above, are more likely to be abused/neglected, do poorly in school, become teen parents themselves, and go to prison than kids from two parent homes, or even the children of older single moms.

3. Subsidizing teens as parents is part of why children are doing worse in society than ever before.

4. I see you posting a lot about how teens want to have sex, and nothing about what is in the best interest of the children of teen parents. I don't give a fuck that teens want to have sex; those who do and manage to get pregnant are typically poorly parented, and don't need to pass along their bad behaviors to another generation of children.

5. If we stopped giving them a check, teens would be less likely to keep their babies and parent them badly.

1. No, we are not "paying them to have babies." Nobody wants teens to have babies. It happens though. That is life.

2. That depends on if the parent/parents have the supports necessarily. If they are left in poverty with no help, then yes, there are going to be big problems, obviously. You need to post a link to stats if you are going to post stats. Otherwise, they mean nothing. Also, those statistics are because of poverty more than anything else. Two parent homes are ideal but not always doable.

3. We are not subsidizing them, we help them to support their children because if we don't the consequences would be MUCH worse. Like I told you, there are some teen parents who do not have any support and they need us to help them and their babies.

4. Yes, teens want to have sex and will have sex. They don't care if you don't like it. They have normal hormonal urges to have sex. It is not "bad behavior." It is completely normal for teen girls and boys to want to have sex. Yes, teenagers are always going to have sex and some will get pregnant. Your thoughts are irrelevant to them.

5. That is not true. There would still be plenty of teens who would not or could not give up their babies. Unless you want to force them to, then that is a silly argument.

Some people cannot have the Norplant. What if the parents are against birth control for religious reasons? What if the child is allergic to it? That happens sometimes. There are also some serious side effects that birth control pills can cause, so some women cannot use them at all.

Teenagers aren't entitled to a government subsidy because they can't keep their legs closed.

That is a poor argument. Teens are still going to have sex, like it or not. That is how they are wired. Regardless of if they "keep their legs closed" or not, is not a reason to make them live in poverty, which is bad for everyone and our country as a whole. Poverty is destructive.

Effects of Poverty Hunger and Homelessness on Children and Youth

Neither should adults be entitled to government subsidies for laying on their backs. I would argue that teens have somewhat of an excuse because they are stupid, easily influenced, and victims (in many cases) of suspect parents. I would much rather my tax dollars help a kid (until they hit 21) than help an adult that knows better but continues with the poor behavior.

Neither should adults be entitled to government subsidies for laying on their backs. I would argue that teens have somewhat of an excuse because they are stupid, easily influenced, and victims (in many cases) of suspect parents. I would much rather my tax dollars help a kid (until they hit 21) than help an adult that knows better but continues with the poor behavior.

For adults, I think they should treat it more like unemployment where they have to fill out work search forms and things like that, especially if the person doesn't have small children to care for or if the children are in school all day. Teen moms with babies don't really have many options a lot of times. And wouldn't you rather your tax money go to help the people in your own country rather than go to countries that don't even like us? We send away BILLIONS of dollars to countries that hate us, and yet people complain about helping take care of our OWN people to make our country a better place to live. People who are hungry and poor and destitute will resort to crime. That is what desperate people do in most instances.

I think by this comment, it is quite clear that you don't care about teens or their babies. You only care that a relatively small portion of your tax monies doesn't go to help THEM.

The thing is, you gotta be careful not creating too much of a safety net for young mothers where it encourages them to have babies - like that stupid MTV show glorifying teen parents.

The thing is, you gotta be careful not creating too much of a safety net for young mothers where it encourages them to have babies - like that stupid MTV show glorifying teen parents.

Have you ever watched that show? It certainly doesn't glorify teen pregnancy. It shows a lot of the hardships these girls face.

Have you ever watched that show? It certainly doesn't glorify teen pregnancy. It shows a lot of the hardships these girls face.
Sure it glorifies it...teens are getting pregnant just for a chance to be on that show.

Sure it glorifies it...teens are getting pregnant just for a chance to be on that show.

You think? :D I don't know about that. A lot of girls are NOT proud that they made a bad judgement. They find welfare to be humiliating and want to work and support themselves. Also, don't forget you don't get nearly enough money to survive on welfare. That's why they get subsidized housing, etc. Like I said, in MA, I believe they only get about $500 a month. Try to live on that here in Massachusetts. It is impossible.

Another point I would like to present is that there are nowhere NEAR 300+ MILLION jobs for everyone to have a job. There are always going to be those who are out of luck when it comes to having a job.

You think? :D I don't know about that. A lot of girls are NOT proud that they made a bad judgement. They find welfare to be humiliating and want to work and support themselves. Also, don't forget you don't get nearly enough money to survive on welfare. That's why they get subsidized housing, etc. Like I said, in MA, I believe they only get about $500 a month. Try to live on that here in Massachusetts. It is impossible.

Another point I would like to present is that there are nowhere NEAR 300+ MILLION jobs for everyone to have a job. There are always going to be those who are out of luck when it comes to having a job.

Going on welfare is a choice. A less selfish choice would be not having children you can't take care of; and if you become pregnant, giving the child up for adoption to someone who is ready to take care of a child, rather than going on welfare and expecting everyone else to take care of you and your child.

As far as availability of jobs, just imagine how many more people could be hired if businesses didn't have to pay taxes to subsidize teen moms.

1. No, we are not "paying them to have babies." Nobody wants teens to have babies. It happens though. That is life.

And if teens knew they were not going to get a check if they had a baby, more teen moms would consider options that are better for the child, such as adoption.

2. That depends on if the parent/parents have the supports necessarily. If they are left in poverty with no help, then yes, there are going to be big problems, obviously. You need to post a link to stats if you are going to post stats. Otherwise, they mean nothing. Also, those statistics are because of poverty more than anything else. Two parent homes are ideal but not always doable.

I have posted a link to every stat in this thread. Two parent homes are completely do-able through adoption. I even support adoption by older single people and gay couples who are in a position to raise children. I don't support subsidizing teenagers keeping their babies and then doing a poor job of parenting them.

3. We are not subsidizing them, we help them to support their children because if we don't the consequences would be MUCH worse. Like I told you, there are some teen parents who do not have any support and they need us to help them and their babies.

No teenager needs to be raising a child, and no child needs to be born into the circumstance of being raised by a teen mom who has to go on welfare to "support" her baby. That's a choice that we need to eliminate funding.

4. Yes, teens want to have sex and will have sex. They don't care if you don't like it. They have normal hormonal urges to have sex. It is not "bad behavior." It is completely normal for teen girls and boys to want to have sex. Yes, teenagers are always going to have sex and some will get pregnant. Your thoughts are irrelevant to them.

And 40 years ago, most girls gave unplanned pregnancies up for adoption to couples who could take care of the baby without government funding. We should get back to that scenario.

5. That is not true. There would still be plenty of teens who would not or could not give up their babies. Unless you want to force them to, then that is a silly argument.

Well, that's their choice, and they can struggle if that's what they choose to do.

It's not like providing welfare to teen parents is accomplishing the goal of taking care of children. The majority of teen moms don't do a good job with parenting, and the children suffer. The statistics, and sources for this claim, are posted on pages 1-2 of this thread.

Last edited:
Something I'd like to see happen for those that decide to get knocked up while still a kid is for there to be several requirements in order for them to get any public assistance at all.

1. They must remain in school until they earn their diploma.
2. They must attend parenting classes and receive counseling each week until they graduate high school and are off public assistance.
3. They must attend and participate in a support group that is specific for teen moms.
4. They must talk to other students in a classroom setting about what the impact of being pregnant in middle/high school has had on them.
5. They must be involved in a career development program and be required to apply to local colleges if they intend to stay on public assistance after graduating high school.

If they get pregnant again while on public assistance or still in public schools, all assistance is terminated immediately.

And if teens knew they were not going to get a check if they had a baby, more teen moms would consider options that are better for the child, such as adoption.

I have posted a link to every stat in this thread. Two parent homes are completely do-able through adoption. I even support adoption by older single people and gay couples who are in a position to raise children. I don't support subsidizing teenagers keeping their babies and then doing a poor job of parenting them.

No teenager needs to be raising a child, and no child needs to be born into the circumstance of being raised by a teen mom who has to go on welfare to "support" her baby. That's a choice that we need to eliminate funding.

And 40 years ago, most girls gave unplanned pregnancies up for adoption to couples who could take care of the baby without government funding. We should get back to that scenario.

Well, that's their choice, and they can struggle if that's what they choose to do.

It's not like providing welfare to teen parents is accomplishing the goal of taking care of children. The majority of teen moms don't do a good job with parenting, and the children suffer. The statistics, and sources for this claim, are posted on pages 1-2 of this thread.

You know, it's a lot easier to read and a lot easier for you too, if you just number the items you would like to address. Just a piece of advice.

1. This is what you think. Teens have always gotten pregnant and had babies. It doesn't matter if there are social services available because teens act on impulse more than on rational thought. This is the REASON why they are still considered children. It's really not hard to understand. Maybe you can't remember being a teenager, but I can.

2. No they are not. Not surprisingly, you have a very simplistic view of the situation. There are also plenty of adopted parents who get divorced, one parent can die, get sick, disappear, etc. Are you condemning ALL of those children too? Good God. *rolls eyes*

3. No teenager "needs to?" No shit. The point is that a lot of teens are going to have sex. Some of them are going to get pregnant. We have the social support services so that this vulnerable segment of our population doesn't end up homeless, going hungry, lacking medical care, etc. I think it is obvious that you are quite selfish.

4. Most girls were forced to put up their babies for adoption by their families. Families seem to not want to do that anymore, and that is their decision to make, not yours. Once your tax dollars leave your hands, they belong to the government do what they see fit, and social services supports for our children is a great way to spend the money. Poverty leads to crime and destitution, slums and shanty towns. I suppose if you wanted our entire country to look kind of like Detroit . . . Every SINGLE country that does not have a social support system has destitution, poverty, high rates of infant mortality, etc.

5. I think it is quite obvious that you only care that the relatively SMALL portion of your tax payer dollars doesn't go to help the less fortunate. What kind of person are you? That's just disgusting.

What, in your opinion, is the biggest cause of teen pregnancy in middle/high school girls? Is it low self esteem, no parental guidance, peer pressure, ignorance, etc?

What are your thoughts on tax payers having to pay for medical care for pregnant teens and their baby(babies, if that's the case), along with food stamps, WIC programs, housing assistance, etc?

Biggest cause of teen pregnancy is our continued denial teens are sexually mature when ever they start puberty. In denying this biological reality we don't equip pubescent teens with the knowledge they need to have sex without getting pregnant.

Forum List

Back