CDZ Teen Pregnancy

Whatever happened to kids growing up with morals and high expectations, wanting to have a life for themselves? When I was in school, you rarely heard of girls having sex. Those that you did hear it about were embarrassed about it and most of the kids in the school would make fun of them (the boys were made fun of as well).

What, in your opinion, is the biggest cause of teen pregnancy in middle/high school girls? Is it low self esteem, no parental guidance, peer pressure, ignorance, etc?

What are your thoughts on tax payers having to pay for medical care for pregnant teens and their baby(babies, if that's the case), along with food stamps, WIC programs, housing assistance, etc?
welfare and lack of personal responsibility. Single parent homes. Break down in traditional family values brought on by a liberal onslaught since the 1960's. Break down all vestiges of the "old society" and you can create the "new society." that's what Marx said in his manifesto. Democrats have just about got us there.
:rolleyes: Teen pregnancy was at its highest in the 1950s and has declined since then.
And they were married.

What, in your opinion, is the biggest cause of teen pregnancy in middle/high school girls? Is it low self esteem, no parental guidance, peer pressure, ignorance, etc?

What are your thoughts on tax payers having to pay for medical care for pregnant teens and their baby(babies, if that's the case), along with food stamps, WIC programs, housing assistance, etc?
welfare and lack of personal responsibility. Single parent homes. Break down in traditional family values brought on by a liberal onslaught since the 1960's. Break down all vestiges of the "old society" and you can create the "new society." that's what Marx said in his manifesto. Democrats have just about got us there.

Come join us in this decade. We are NOT going back to the 1950s, thankfully.
Too bad. America was a great nation then.

:rolleyes: Teen pregnancy was at its highest in the 1950s and has declined since then.
And they were married.
No.

You will have to link that.

Deliveries may have been greater, I might concede that.

Add in the abortions and I doubt it.

You will have to link that.

Deliveries may have been greater, I might concede that.

Add in the abortions and I doubt it.
The American Family - Author Stephanie Coontz

Just reading through and saw it.

If they get pregnant again while on public assistance or still in public schools, all assistance is terminated immediately.

That is a terrible idea. My God. You don't see the bigger picture obviously. You need to open your mind and look at the big picture. It will help you to understand the world better. :)

How is it a terrible idea? If they are already in trouble with 1 child, on public assistance, and in public schools, why can't the public have a say in whether or not the taxpayers must continue to support this person? It's obvious in this case that the person is not going to learn from their mistakes.

Well because who do you think will suffer? How is this girl going to care for TWO babies? I understand you want to punish the girl, but that is not feasible nor is it practical or logical. Then, the babies will suffer. I personally cannot believe all the hissy fits that go on because of a relatively small portion of tax money that goes to help the less fortunate, and especially when it's young women with babies!!!

What do you think would become of this family once they have no help at all? For one thing, she is too young and experienced to get much more than a minimum wage paying job. Then, there is the daycare. Somebody has to care for these babies while she is working. There is no way in hell she is going to make enough to support herself, never mind her children. Does anybody want to see homeless young moms with children?

In an ideal world, your ideas might be plausible, but this is NOT an ideal world. Like I said earlier, the teen mom could have some serious issues for all we know. I might be able to get on board with mandatory birth control, but there are still going to be some that are going to get pregnant. Some can't use birth control for various reasons. However, mandatory birth control would cut down on it. Okay, now we will have people complaining about their tax payer money paying for birth control for women. Lol.

Whatever happened to kids growing up with morals and high expectations, wanting to have a life for themselves? When I was in school, you rarely heard of girls having sex. Those that you did hear it about were embarrassed about it and most of the kids in the school would make fun of them (the boys were made fun of as well).

It's a different time. I don't know when you went to school but when I was in high school, the kids were definitely sexually active.

And they were married.

And that's the women's fault I suppose. :lol: You seem to want to absolve the men of all responsibility. It's the women's fault for not keeping their legs closed, right? What about the men? Why can't they keep their dick in their pants? Yes, men play a big role in all of this mess too, you know.

The occurence hasn't changed much so much as the hearing about it. Teens have been having sex all along with just a slight decrease in times past where they made due doing other things than full-on intercourse. The impression we were more moral in generations past comes from how censored everything was. But after WWII the Baby Boom confirmed we were every bit as sexual then as we are now, if not more so. You just didn't hear about it like we do now.

"Clear messages about sexual behavior. While adults in the other countries strongly encourage teens to wait until they have established themselves before having children, they are generally more accepting than American adults of teens having sex. In France and Sweden in particular, teen sexual expression is seen as normal and positive, but there is also widespread expectation that sexual intercourse will take place within committed relationships. (In fact, relationships among U.S. teens tend to be more sporadic and of shorter duration.) Equally strong is the expectation that young people who are having sex will take actions to protect themselves and their partners from pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. In keeping with this view, state or public schools in England and Wales, France and Sweden and in most of Canada teach sexuality education and provide comprehensive information about prevention. In addition, the media is used more frequently in government-sponsored campaigns for promoting responsible sexual behavior ("Promoting Contraceptive Use and Choice: France's Approach to Teen Pregnancy and Abortion," TGR, June 2000).

For adults in the United States, on the other hand, the fact that young people are having sex is more often considered to be, per se, the "problem." Because teens are often regarded and portrayed as being incapable of using contraception effectively, having sex is often equated with becoming pregnant and a teen parent; the slogan of one state's current teen pregnancy campaign is "You play, you pay." Moreover, the United States is the only country with formal policies directing state and federal funds toward educational programs that have as their sole purpose the promotion of abstinence. Over one-third (35%) of all local U.S. school districts that have policies on sexuality education require that abstinence be taught as the only appropriate option for unmarried people and that contraception either be presented as ineffective in preventing pregnancy or not be covered at all. Among school districts in the South—where birthrates are significantly higher than the national average—that proportion is 55%."
Teen Pregnancy Trends And Lessons Learned

"Clear messages about sexual behavior. While adults in the other countries strongly encourage teens to wait until they have established themselves before having children, they are generally more accepting than American adults of teens having sex. In France and Sweden in particular, teen sexual expression is seen as normal and positive, but there is also widespread expectation that sexual intercourse will take place within committed relationships. (In fact, relationships among U.S. teens tend to be more sporadic and of shorter duration.) Equally strong is the expectation that young people who are having sex will take actions to protect themselves and their partners from pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. In keeping with this view, state or public schools in England and Wales, France and Sweden and in most of Canada teach sexuality education and provide comprehensive information about prevention. In addition, the media is used more frequently in government-sponsored campaigns for promoting responsible sexual behavior ("Promoting Contraceptive Use and Choice: France's Approach to Teen Pregnancy and Abortion," TGR, June 2000).

For adults in the United States, on the other hand, the fact that young people are having sex is more often considered to be, per se, the "problem." Because teens are often regarded and portrayed as being incapable of using contraception effectively, having sex is often equated with becoming pregnant and a teen parent; the slogan of one state's current teen pregnancy campaign is "You play, you pay." Moreover, the United States is the only country with formal policies directing state and federal funds toward educational programs that have as their sole purpose the promotion of abstinence. Over one-third (35%) of all local U.S. school districts that have policies on sexuality education require that abstinence be taught as the only appropriate option for unmarried people and that contraception either be presented as ineffective in preventing pregnancy or not be covered at all. Among school districts in the South—where birthrates are significantly higher than the national average—that proportion is 55%."
Teen Pregnancy Trends And Lessons Learned

I think the best idea is to teach both abstinence and safe sex. We should teach kids that they should wait, and that sex should be something you save for a person you have strong feelings for, but if they can't wait, then they need to use protection.

I grew up in a small town in the country on a farm. People respected each other, everyone knew each other, kids didn't want to disappoint the adults and knew what was expected of them. Ma'am and Sir was a common thing to hear. It's rare to hear those 2 words from kids today. Society has broken down, and along with that, the expectations and morals of many went with it. People are allowed to get away with far too much because of excuses that are mostly made up. Responsibility has become lost.

I grew up in a small town in the country on a farm. People respected each other, everyone knew each other, kids didn't want to disappoint the adults and knew what was expected of them. Ma'am and Sir was a common thing to hear. It's rare to hear those 2 words from kids today. Society has broken down, and along with that, the expectations and morals of many went with it. People are allowed to get away with far too much because of excuses that are mostly made up. Responsibility has become lost.
No offense, but that little screed is said by every generation when they pass the age of forty.

No offense, but that little screed is said by every generation when they pass the age of forty.

No offense taken; I've never hid my age on here.

Can you admit that something is wrong with society when quite a few people accept less from those below a particular age?

Because kids do understand what adults expect from them, they often feign ignorance about sexual issues. Studies here and abroad have mentioned this. And the almost ubiquitous nature of smartphones today makes this even more likely. Kids today know much more about sex than those just a generation ago. Knowing about it makes them curious, so teaching them about it is common sense.

Because kids do understand what adults expect from them, they often feign ignorance about sexual issues. Studies here and abroad have mentioned this. And the almost ubiquitous nature of smartphones today makes this even more likely. Kids today know much more about sex than those just a generation ago. Knowing about it makes them curious, so teaching them about it is common sense.

The school district where I live starts teaching about it in elementary school - 5th grade. It continues throughout middle and high school. One class required has 'fake' babies that the kids have to take care of for one week. These dolls are programmed to mimic what an infant needs for care - cry when hungry, needs diaper changed, wants to be held, rocked, etc etc etc. Some are even programmed to have colic. All are programmed to cry throughout the night nearly every 3 hours, just like a newborn would. Their heads are 'floppy' just like a newborn and must be supported. The dolls record all actions (time, date, what was done or not done, etc) and the kids are graded on this. My daughter said that nearly every student in her class didn't want kids after having to take care of the dolls for a week. If this isn't in all of the schools nationwide, it should be.

Can you admit that something is wrong with society when quite a few people accept less from those below a particular age?
I don't need to admit something that isn't true. If people accept less from those below a particular age the fault is no one's but their own.

The school district where I live starts teaching about it in elementary school - 5th grade. It continues throughout middle and high school. One class required has 'fake' babies that the kids have to take care of for one week. These dolls are programmed to mimic what an infant needs for care - cry when hungry, needs diaper changed, wants to be held, rocked, etc etc etc. Some are even programmed to have colic. All are programmed to cry throughout the night nearly every 3 hours, just like a newborn would. Their heads are 'floppy' just like a newborn and must be supported. The dolls record all actions (time, date, what was done or not done, etc) and the kids are graded on this. My daughter said that nearly every student in her class didn't want kids after having to take care of the dolls for a week. If this isn't in all of the schools nationwide, it should be.

Beats an egg. :) Sounds like a great idea. Though I'd think it's not gonna discourage sex so much as PIV sex. :)

I don't need to admit something that isn't true. If people accept less from those below a particular age the fault is no one's but their own.
Expectations should be realistic though.

I taught my kids from day one that going to school and graduating was there job, just like mine was to get up and go to work and pay the bills.

They did fine.

Had I demanded they make straight A's, and insist they become doctors or lawyers, I might have succeeded, but, I would have some bitter sons who never have time for me.

As it is, my boys are happy, secure, and keep in touch with me throughout each day.

Hell, my youngest is what could be called a Helicopter Kid.

He ain't happy unless he knows I am happy.

We talk two or three times most days.

Forum List

Back