Ted Cruz: "Has there been advancements of human knowledge as to the harms of violent crime?" Biden appointee: "Not to my knowledge."

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
Ted Cruz questioning Judge Gleeson, who is nominated to be a part of the Sentencing Commission, which creates sentencing guidelines. The very guidelines that he, as a judge, has consistently ignored.

He had previously said that he sentencing policy should be "driven by advancements in human knowledge, data, . . . "

Judge Gleeson continued: "There have been some advancements in human knowledge in recent years that I consider very important. That's not one of them, though. Senator."

5:38

In other words, the judge is well-read on research into the effects of less lenient sentencing on violent criminals. Spoiler alert: It does not help the violent criminals at all to be locked up for long periods of time. I wouldn't have needed any studies to tell me that, it seems pretty obvious that long sentences are intended to be detrimental to violent criminals, while keeping them from harming innocent people during that long lockup.

But he is - or claims to be - blissfully ignorant of the research into the effects of violent crime on the victims. How could that be?

In a search of google scholar about the violent criminals in prison, he would have almost surely have run across links to research on the sufferings of victims of violent crime. There is a lot of it, particularly about sexual violence. Reading a couple of them would make any reasonable person conclude that it is the victims who should be most considered when deciding on sentencing violent criminals.

Does he have his law clerks screen those out so that his sentencing decisions are not swayed by knowing how the victims of the people he releases will suffer?

Well "mah advanced knowledge" tells me that the thing about long sentences is it keeps the criminals away from me and mine.

That's sort of the whole point....Any thoughts of rehabilitation should only be secondary to that.

I guess we could really up our death sentence game and make certain felonious assaults punishable by death. I'd be fine with it depending on how the laws were written.

At the minimum tie it into the three strike laws....Three violent felonies and you are sentenced to death....Problem solved, problem staying solved.

God I miss the old days. We'd send them to the dungeon torture chambers, you could hear them scream all night. Used to put me to sleep.

Surprise, surprise, a progressive thinking "judge" more concerned with the welfare of the perp than the victims of the crimes.
I'll bet if a conservative protested outside his house he'd be a firm believer in a tough on crime stance that wouldn't be applied to others

Forum List

Back