Ted Cruz backs county clerks denying marriage licenses to gay couples

PaintMyHouse Below is the link to the full text of Paxton’s opinion. Not sure where the warning is to the clerks that they might face legal action

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/opinions/opinions/51paxton/op/2015/kp0025.pdf
And the two most important paragraphs:

Factual situations may arise in which the county clerk seeks to delegate the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses due to a religious objection, but every employee also has a religious objection to participating in same-sex-marriage licensure. In that scenario, were a clerk to issue traditional marriage licenses while refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, it is conceivable that an applicant for a same-sex marriage license may claim a violation of the constitution. If instead, a county clerk chooses to issue no marriage licenses at all, it raises at least two questions. First, a clerk opting to issue no licenses at all may find himself or herself in tension with the requirement under state law that a clerk "shall" issue marriage licenses to conforming applications. TEX. FAM. CODE ANN.§ 2.008(a) (West 2006). A court must balance this statutory duty against the clerk's constitutional rights as well as statutory rights under the Religious Freedom Restoration Acts. Second, a court must also weigh the constitutional right of the applicant to obtain a same-sex marriage license. Such a factually specific inquiry is beyond the scope of what this opinion can answer.

In other words, there is a right for gay people to marry, even in Texas, and a clerk has a statutory duty (i.e. "shall" issue) a marriage license to anyone meeting the statutory definition; a definition that can no longer be limited to opposite sex. His opinion, when read thoroughly, makes to definitive statement that clerks do not have to issue marriage licenses.

In a nutshell

This is why we have a separation of church and state

deltex simply does not want others to have the same civil rights as himself.

S. J. means he would operate by the Rule of Man not the Law. He is so trite.

Last edited:
The court cases ARE the whining.
No, they are Americans demanding that the constitution be followed; that they not be denied the same legal protections as other Americans.
I'd prefer to give up "legal protections" than invest in fantasy.
I bet you thought when you typed that it would sound profound. It sounds trite and has no meaning. What "legal protections" are you willing to give up? The right to liberty; the right to equal protection of the law? Those are the rights that the Court enforced with this ruling.

Change is hard to swallow for some. Just look at the posters on this board with everything from the necessity of the wot to gay marriage.
We are literally being governed by a bunch of children. There are issues worthy of not giving an inch of your ground.....this is not one of them.
Religious freedom is not one of them? The fight is just beginning

The court cases ARE the whining.
No, they are Americans demanding that the constitution be followed; that they not be denied the same legal protections as other Americans.
I'd prefer to give up "legal protections" than invest in fantasy.
I bet you thought when you typed that it would sound profound. It sounds trite and has no meaning. What "legal protections" are you willing to give up? The right to liberty; the right to equal protection of the law? Those are the rights that the Court enforced with this ruling.
So in 1868 when the 14th amendment was ratified they were certainly thinking about gay marriage.. Kennndy the gay jugde had an agenda

States cannot stop issuing licenses to same sex couples. They can stop issuing licenses at all.

obastard can federalize marriage. Issue federal marriage licenses. Move divorce court to federal court.

States cannot stop issuing licenses to same sex couples. They can stop issuing licenses at all.

obastard can federalize marriage. Issue federal marriage licenses. Move divorce court to federal court.

Yep. They can stop issuing all licenses. Let's wait and see if that happens.

I love this

I can't wait to see what happens when they stop issuing all licenses

You have been planning a wedding all year. The big day finally arrives and a few days before the wedding you go for a license and find the office closed

That really shows them gays

And the growing majority of Americans who support marriage equality would permit this why?

I love this

You have been planning a wedding all year. The big day finally arrives and a few days before the wedding you go for a license and find the office closed

Just go ahead with your ceremony. Who cares about the license...it the love that matters...not the benefits....

I love this

Just go ahead with your ceremony. Who cares about the license...it the love that matters...not the benefits....

A ceremony that does not result in a legal wedding

Boy...you guys really know how to teach gays a lesson they won't forget

I love this

A ceremony that does not result in a legal marriage

Boy...you guys really know how to teach gays a lesson they won't forget

I love this

The rights and responsibilities that go with a legally recognized marriage also matters. Marriage and family is the foundation of our society. It is a huge stabilizing factor. That right wing bigots like you would want to destroy that foundation just to prevent the tiny minority of gay couples to marry is pathetic.

All marriage licenses doesn't mean all licenses. How dense can liberals be?

I love this

If that's true, then you should have no objection to issuing the license.

Forum List

Back