Ted Cruz backs county clerks denying marriage licenses to gay couples

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
MSNBC ^ | 06/28/15 12:50 AM | Adam Howard
Sen. Ted Cruz is ready to rain on the parade of Texas citizens celebrating the Supreme Court decision on Friday to legalize same-sex marriage throughout the country.
On Saturday, the 2016 Republican presidential candidate said he “absolutely” believes that his state’s country clerks should deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples if they have a religious objection, in an interview with The Texas Tribune.
“Ours is a country that was built by men and women fleeing religious oppression,” Cruz told the newspaper, “and you look at the foundation of this country—it was to seek out a new land where anyone of us could worship the Lord God Almighty with all of our hearts, minds and souls, without government getting in the way.”

Ted cruz is consistent in his beliefs. Not a flip flopper.

Change is hard to swallow for some. Just look at the posters on this board with everything from the necessity of the wot to gay marriage.
We are literally being governed by a bunch of children. There are issues worthy of not giving an inch of your ground.....this is not one of them.

Change is hard to swallow for some. Just look at the posters on this board with everything from the necessity of the wot to gay marriage.
We are literally being governed by a bunch of children. There are issues worthy of not giving an inch of your ground.....this is not one of them.
Americans are a bunch of fucking children, hence the problem...

Sen. Ted Cruz is ready to rain on the parade of Texas citizens celebrating the Supreme Court decision on Friday to legalize same-sex marriage throughout the country.
On Saturday, the 2016 Republican presidential candidate said he “absolutely” believes that his state’s country clerks should deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples if they have a religious objection, in an interview with The Texas Tribune.
“Ours is a country that was built by men and women fleeing religious oppression,” Cruz told the newspaper, “and you look at the foundation of this country—it was to seek out a new land where anyone of us could worship the Lord God Almighty with all of our hearts, minds and souls, without government getting in the way.”

I thought he was supposed to understand the constitution?

Can not be done and the clerk would lose their job as they should. it is one thing for a Church to deny marriage but a County Clerk is not a religious institution nor is the county and they will have to issue the Marriage license or not issue any at all.

Also Cruz need to come back to Texas because as far as I know no clerk as refused to do their job so far, so I do not why he would open his mouth on this subject because Texas is issuing the Licenses.

Also a County can stop issuing the License altogether but the county must still recognize the union and can not deny the same sex couples their rights...

Happy days, for many of my clients:

"County clerks in Texas will be able to turn away gay couples seeking marriage licenses, the state's attorney general Ken Paxton (R) announced on Sunday.

Clerks can refuse based on religious objections, Paxton told the Austin American-Statesman, and because the clerks will probably be sued, "numerous lawyers stand ready to assist clerks defending their religious beliefs," he said."
Some States Are Still Trying To Resist Gay Marriage

Nothing more fun than being named in a lawsuit. Oh wait, my bad, that sucks actually...

Happy days, for many of my clients:

"County clerks in Texas will be able to turn away gay couples seeking marriage licenses, the state's attorney general Ken Paxton (R) announced on Sunday.

Clerks can refuse based on religious objections, Paxton told the Austin American-Statesman, and because the clerks will probably be sued, "numerous lawyers stand ready to assist clerks defending their religious beliefs," he said."
Some States Are Still Trying To Resist Gay Marriage

Nothing more fun than being named in a lawsuit. Oh wait, my bad, that sucks actually...
Is this only religious objections to gay marriage or all religious objections a clerk may have?

I don't know of any clerks in Texas refusing to issue licenses. That would cost their job.

A compromise will be in place by tomorrow that will make sure someone is on hand to issue licenses and to marry folks in each court house.

Texas will pass laws saying government employees don't have to follow the law if they don't feel like it.
Texas will be sued
Texas will lose

Cruz has no authority to back up anything. He is a US senator and has no say in the running of the state.

Bad opinion. I am vacationing the Texas Hill Country right now on the Colorado River, and the general talk is that "I don't like it, but it is the law now, let us move on." Unless one is in Austin, and they are having a ball there over the issue.

Bad opinion. I am vacationing the Texas Hill Country right now on the Colorado River, and the general talk is that "I don't like it, but it is the law now, let us move on." Unless one is in Austin, and they are having a ball there over the issue.
You're on vacation and still posting on USMB? WTF is wrong with you?

Forum List

Back