Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School, Activist Says

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
FOXNews.com - Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School, Activist Says

When Coral Avilez went to school on June 11, the seventh-grader knew two things: She would get to watch Mexico play South Africa on TV that day, and she would get to wear the Mexico shirt she had bought while on vacation earlier in the year.

What the 12-year-old didn’t know was that the shirt would touch off an incident that would send her fleeing from class and spark an investigation into racial animosity.

The game was already on when Coral walked into performing arts class at Big Bear Middle School in Big Bear, Calif. As she sat and watched, her teacher saw her shirt emblazoned with the Mexican colors and, in front of the entire class, asked if she supported Mexico, according to Leroy Martinez, the vice president of the local League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC).

According to Martinez, Coral thought she was being asked a soccer question, and answered yes.

“Then what are you doing in my country?” the teacher asked, according to Martinez.

Stunned, the American-born student asked, “Why?”

“Because people like you make me pay higher taxes and make my insurance rate go up,” the teacher replied, according to Martinez.

Confused and hurt, Coral then ran out of the class crying.

But that wasn’t the end of it, Martinez said.

When Coral’s mother showed up to take the girl home, he said, she was told she would have to wait. Coral was being questioned about the incident by a group of school officials, including the teacher who allegedly made the remarks, and had to sign a paper before her mother could take her home.

On Monday she asked not to go back to class, and she was given two choices: sit in the principal’s office and read a book,or pick up trash with the janitor. Martinez said Coral felt uncomfortable in the principal’s office, and she opted to picked up trash.

The teacher later apologized to the class, according to local newspapers.

The coward should be fired. It's bad enough that racism took place, but a teacher abusing their position to take it out on a 12 year old child? Disgusting.

I can promise you that teacher would be fired the very day that happened at the school I'm on the board of. That's some bullshit to make a child cry, even if she were an illegal, that's uncalled for.

Not to mention the obvious that you can't complain about a Latino racist sending American flag wearing students home and not be pissed when the opposite occurs.

Further, what paper did she sign? You can't coeerce a child into signing some form of confession without their parent or guardian being present. This may be more than a teacher losing her job.

Last edited:
Wow, what a dick that teacher is. Throw him out. Seriously, she's twelve years old, plus, teachers are supposed to keep their personal politics out of the classroom.

Further, what paper did she sign? You can't coeerce a child into signing some form of confession without their parent or guardian being present. This may be more than a teacher losing her job.

If she signed some sort of contract to not sue or whatever, it would never fly in court. Especially since she's not 18.

If she signed some sort of contract to not sue or whatever, it would never fly in court. Especially since she's not 18.

No matter what she signed it wouldn't mean shit. if she signed a confession to murder it wouldn't be admissible in a court, so I just don't know they could have possibly had her sign before they allowed her mom in.

I really think this could end up being more than a just a teacher losing a job.

It really is no wonder why public education is such a failure when you look at the caliber of "educators" out there.

Fox News? It must be bullshit then.

Stupid people sometimes make stupid comments but with all school stories, you only hear one side. And who is "speaking" for the parent?

exactly,, too many words like "activist" and "allegedly" I'll wait for both side of the story before I fling that stupid word "racist" out there.. but that's just me.

I've been following this story since it hit yesterday (maybe the day before?). Something just doesn't add up. I agree with those who are saying this may be something more than just a teacher losing a job. If the story is accurate, the teacher has some serious issues that should preclude him/her from much more than teaching.

I also think it may be possible the student has embellished quite a bit, or given an inaccurate accounting of what actually happened.

I haven't been able to find out anything further than this same article, but something just doesn't add up here.

I've been following this story since it hit yesterday (maybe the day before?). Something just doesn't add up. I agree with those who are saying this may be something more than just a teacher losing a job. If the story is accurate, the teacher has some serious issues that should preclude him/her from much more than teaching.

I also think it may be possible the student has embellished quite a bit, or given an inaccurate accounting of what actually happened.

I haven't been able to find out anything further than this same article, but something just doesn't add up here.

It's just much too convenient for an "activist" to be telling the story..could be that the "activist" is the "racist"

exactly,, too many words like "activist" and "allegedly" I'll wait for both side of the story before I fling that stupid word "racist" out there.. but that's just me.

Well, why would the teacher apologize if the teacher didn't say anything?

Willow, I understand as you get older, you may of not see text like you use to. I admit, it's not that large.

Let me make it bigger for you.

The teacher later apologized to the class, according to local newspapers.

Forum List

Back