Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School, Activist Says

FOXNews.com - Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School, Activist Says

When Coral Avilez went to school on June 11, the seventh-grader knew two things: She would get to watch Mexico play South Africa on TV that day, and she would get to wear the Mexico shirt she had bought while on vacation earlier in the year.

What the 12-year-old didn’t know was that the shirt would touch off an incident that would send her fleeing from class and spark an investigation into racial animosity.

The game was already on when Coral walked into performing arts class at Big Bear Middle School in Big Bear, Calif. As she sat and watched, her teacher saw her shirt emblazoned with the Mexican colors and, in front of the entire class, asked if she supported Mexico, according to Leroy Martinez, the vice president of the local League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC).
According to Martinez, Coral thought she was being asked a soccer question, and answered yes.

“Then what are you doing in my country?” the teacher asked, according to Martinez.

On Monday she asked not to go back to class, and she was given two choices: sit in the principal’s office and read a book,or pick up trash with the janitor. Martinez said Coral felt uncomfortable in the principal’s office, and she opted to picked up trash.
The teacher later apologized to the class, according to local newspapers.
The coward should be fired. It's bad enough that racism took place, but a teacher abusing their position to take it out on a 12 year old child? Disgusting.

This is bullshit. That teacher should not only be fired, she should be barred from ever working in a school again. And wtf is that about her having to sign something. Children cannot be questioned without their parents being there, and they cannot be forced to sign something in order to go home. The parents should sue that school until it bleeds.

Final question, why is the school showing a sporting even anyway?

FOXNews.com - Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School, Activist Says

When Coral Avilez went to school on June 11, the seventh-grader knew two things: She would get to watch Mexico play South Africa on TV that day, and she would get to wear the Mexico shirt she had bought while on vacation earlier in the year.

What the 12-year-old didn’t know was that the shirt would touch off an incident that would send her fleeing from class and spark an investigation into racial animosity.

The game was already on when Coral walked into performing arts class at Big Bear Middle School in Big Bear, Calif. As she sat and watched, her teacher saw her shirt emblazoned with the Mexican colors and, in front of the entire class, asked if she supported Mexico, according to Leroy Martinez, the vice president of the local League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC).

According to Martinez, Coral thought she was being asked a soccer question, and answered yes.

“Then what are you doing in my country?” the teacher asked, according to Martinez.

On Monday she asked not to go back to class, and she was given two choices: sit in the principal’s office and read a book,or pick up trash with the janitor. Martinez said Coral felt uncomfortable in the principal’s office, and she opted to picked up trash.

The teacher later apologized to the class, according to local newspapers.

The coward should be fired. It's bad enough that racism took place, but a teacher abusing their position to take it out on a 12 year old child? Disgusting.

I have a t shirt I love to wear when I know there will be righty's around....its a Vets for Obama shirt. i love the looks they give. Well, you hate our countr..no wait. Well you are for the government....well, yeah, they employed me for 20 years. What have you dont for the count. .....oh wait never mind, you arent patriotic...oh wait never mind...blah blah.

love that shirt! Back to that teacher. Oh man, he is going to be so fired. At least I hope so.

Last edited:
My little girl is half hispanic and I can promise you that if a teacher says something like this to her , for any reason, someone is losing some teeth. They're fucking kids, leave them out of your political bullshit.

exactly,, too many words like "activist" and "allegedly" I'll wait for both side of the story before I fling that stupid word "racist" out there.. but that's just me.

Well, why would the teacher apologize if the teacher didn't say anything?

"according to the newspapers" okay,, you go with that.

As opposed to what?

But I have to remember, you quote Dick Morris and actually think he is credible, so you saying this makes sense.

Dick (prostitute toe sucking, been wrong on everything since Obama has been elected) Morris!

You are a fool.

Well, why would the teacher apologize if the teacher didn't say anything?

"according to the newspapers" okay,, you go with that.

As opposed to what?

But I have to remember, you quote Dick Morris and actually think he is credible, so you saying this makes sense.

Dick (prostitute toe sucking, been wrong on everything since Obama has been elected) Morris!

You are a fool.

you are a libturd asswipe.

but, but this is FAUX news....it must be false!!!!!

lol ...

You couldn't help squaking partisan rhetoric to save your own life, could you?

i find humor unites us all and puts the nut cases out on the fringe...apparently you belong on the fringe :lol:

I like how you cleverly disguised that joke as a total partisan hack post.

Good to see you are still projecting though.

A little girl, an activist and a Latino Supremacist organization, yes no reason to doubt the accuracy of the story.

More likely happened like this,
T: "Are you rooting for Mexico?"
S: "Yes."
T: "Why?"
S: "Because I'm Mexican!"
T: "Yet you live in America, you get a free American education and everything America has to offer."
S: "But I'm Mexican and I'm free to root for anyone one I want to, including my home country of Mexico."
T: Then why don't you go back to Mexico, its people like your parents that have no loyalty to America but have no problem taking from America, raising my taxes!
The student runs out crying!

A little girl, an activist and a Latino Supremacist organization, yes no reason to doubt the accuracy of the story.

T: "Yet you live in America, you get a free American education and everything America has to offer."
S: "But I'm Mexican and I'm free to root for anyone one I want to, including my home country of Mexico."
T: Then why don't you go back to Mexico, its people like your parents that have no loyalty to America but have no problem taking from America, raising my taxes!

EVEN if it happened exactly as you described, and it didn't , that teacher needs to be fired, you don't treat kids like that. I'm also still wanting to know what it was she signed, if anything

What a moron you are Ghook. Even if the teacher acted like that, still wrong. Dumbass.

Gonna have to agree witht Conhog on this one ... even if that's how it went down the teacher is still very much in the wrong and needs to be fired.

Besides? What's so bad about rooting for your country of origin? If Cuba or Ireland were to make a run in the World Cup I would cheer for them.

What a moron you are Ghook. Even if the teacher acted like that, still wrong. Dumbass.

That motherfucker made me agree with you and that REALLY pisses me off

Add me to the list.

there is no way ANY child should be treated like that

No one would ask a child to sign something. Their signature is not legal. This whole story makes no sense.

The teacher probably did say something offensive; but it's probable that it wasn't intentional or was taken out of context. The reality is she will be given a gag order by her district and the union so we will never know the exact quote. Too bad they didn't even print the "apology". The article makes it seem like she apologized for what the activist claimed she did.

My Spanish teacher was a royal bitch. She made me cry once. Never occurred to me or my parents to hire an attorney and go to Fox News. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back