Tea Party: Are you gonna protest this weekends government sports games?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Just wondering if the Tea Party is going to protest what might be the WORST example of overspending and government waste.

The taxpayers of the State of Alabama are paying U of Alabama head football coach Nick Saban $4 million a year. Yep. Highest paid employee of the state of Alabama.

South Carolina? USC's Steve Spurrier and Clemson's Dabo Swinney.....the 2 highest paid employees of the SC state govt.

Same for the states of Louisiana, Florida, Georgia. All pay their college football coach the highest salary of any govt employee.

Tea Partiers.......are you going to protest this?

Likely not. Most of you have these team's bumper stickers on your cars, and cheer for them on Saturdays (although you likely didn't attend the school itself).

Fucking hypocrites. You'll demand less pay/benefits for cops, firemen, teachers..........but then cheer on the hiring of a football coach for multi-million $$$'s of tax payers money. The taxpayers of Alabama had to give head coach Nick Saban a multi-year, $4 million contract. And the Alabama Tea Party, I'm sure, didn't cheer once.

It's official.

You are drunk.

I don't like how much money is in college sports. But no coach is going to get paid unless he nets to the program. It is really that simple.

Unfortunately, that is the market. If they didn't have college teams, there would be tons of pro teams and the money they would draw would mean the end of a lot of other things that colleges can fund because of the football program.

A police officer is a public employee and one I am grateful for. However, I am afraid that in today's world you have to acknowledge that only in the broadest of arguments...he is of unquantifiable economic value (i.e. he does not bring in the ticket sales).

If people want good police, they will have to pay for them. If they are not careful, they will over pay for them.

Get some sleep.

Good post. Im not gonna lie, I had a drink. And I like good, heated debate.

You make some accurate points. People have to pay for cops to get good ones. Unfortunately, they often wont be willing to do that until they NEED them, meaning, the crime has gotten out of control.

Preventive Policing is unheard of. If a PD has a city under control, and it's safe, they're seen as unnecessary. They literally work themselves out of "demand". You are 100% right about that. When you say cops are of unquantifiable value, you are dead on accurate, because people rarely notice an absence of crime.

In a safe city, people rarely say "Wow, the crime here is so low, the cops are doing a great job". No, they usually say "Nothing happens here, the cops must be bored, they dont have anything better to do".

And thats why I advocate so hard for cops and firemen. No one else is doing it. And as you said, some things are just an honest fact that must be accepted (like the unquantified value), and you're right.

Well, another fact is that 99% of people who have never worked as cops have absolutely NO CLUE what goes on in their cities after dark, or on those roads people never drive down, or even in their own kid's schools. We need to KEEP IT that way, but, funding good PD's is the only way.

BTW...Im being devil's advocate on this issue. I love college football. In fact, I think it provides such a community and statewide morale boost to the people. Kinda a quality of life thing. In SC, nothing gets people in a better mood in general than when the Tigers and Gamecocks are both having great seasons.

You make some accurate points. People have to pay for cops to get good ones. Unfortunately, they often wont be willing to do that until they NEED them, meaning, the crime has gotten out of control.

Preventive Policing is unheard of. If a PD has a city under control, and it's safe, they're seen as unnecessary. They literally work themselves out of "demand". You are 100% right about that. When you say cops are of unquantifiable value, you are dead on accurate, because people rarely notice an absence of crime.

In a safe city, people rarely say "Wow, the crime here is so low, the cops are doing a great job". No, they usually say "Nothing happens here, the cops must be bored, they dont have anything better to do".

And thats why I advocate so hard for cops and firemen. No one else is doing it. And as you said, some things are just an honest fact that must be accepted (like the unquantified value), and you're right.

Well, another fact is that 99% of people who have never worked as cops have absolutely NO CLUE what goes on in their cities after dark, or on those roads people never drive down, or even in their own kid's schools. We need to KEEP IT that way, but, funding good PD's is the only way.

We pay our police well, we have plenty of them, and I have no problem with that.

But they are not going to make a fortune and their pensions are closely managed and paid for as they go.

We pay our police well, we have plenty of them, and I have no problem with that.

But they are not going to make a fortune and their pensions are closely managed and paid for as they go.

In some places they do pay well. Some TOO MUCH, like the bankrupt cities San Jose, Newark, etc, it caught up to them. Hell, Seattle PD pays officers w/ 5 years prior experience 75K starting off!!!

Thats "too much". I dont want my backup to be someone who is in it for the money. They wont make a fortune, and shouldn't. Military, fire, police, teaching should NOT be jobs people take to make lots of money.

But, because of that fact, I believe taking away what they do get should be last resort.

Note, however, I do acknowledge some cities (union cities) went WAY overboard and MUST cut to survive. My issue are the Southern non-union ones that never did go overboard, but now wanna jump on the bandwaggon of slashing pay/benefits just....well, just because.

I think my stance has been misquoted by some.

Just wondering if the Tea Party is going to protest what might be the WORST example of overspending and government waste.

The taxpayers of the State of Alabama are paying U of Alabama head football coach Nick Saban $4 million a year. Yep. Highest paid employee of the state of Alabama.

South Carolina? USC's Steve Spurrier and Clemson's Dabo Swinney.....the 2 highest paid employees of the SC state govt.

Same for the states of Louisiana, Florida, Georgia. All pay their college football coach the highest salary of any govt employee.

Tea Partiers.......are you going to protest this?

Likely not. Most of you have these team's bumper stickers on your cars, and cheer for them on Saturdays (although you likely didn't attend the school itself).

Fucking hypocrites. You'll demand less pay/benefits for cops, firemen, teachers..........but then cheer on the hiring of a football coach for multi-million $$$'s of tax payers money. The taxpayers of Alabama had to give head coach Nick Saban a multi-year, $4 million contract. And the Alabama Tea Party, I'm sure, didn't cheer once.
??

The STATE OF ALABAMA.......

The 9th and 10th Amendments...

The Federal government...

Autonomy....

College football pays for itself. Government isnt paying anything.

WRONG. You dont know what you speak of.

VERY FEW, maybe a dozen, of college football's 120 teams make a profit. The vast majority LOSE money.

If you truly think no tax money goes to the football programs at the U of Alabama or U of South Carolina.......then you are just 100% dead wrong. Do some research.

In some places they do pay well. Some TOO MUCH, like the bankrupt cities San Jose, Newark, etc, it caught up to them. Hell, Seattle PD pays officers w/ 5 years prior experience 75K starting off!!!

Thats "too much". I dont want my backup to be someone who is in it for the money. They wont make a fortune, and shouldn't. Military, fire, police, teaching should NOT be jobs people take to make lots of money.

But, because of that fact, I believe taking away what they do get should be last resort.

Note, however, I do acknowledge some cities (union cities) went WAY overboard and MUST cut to survive. My issue are the Southern non-union ones that never did go overboard, but now wanna jump on the bandwaggon of slashing pay/benefits just....well, just because.

Here is a truth.

There isn't enough money in the world to get me to want to do what those people do for a whole lot less. I say the same thing about teachers.

I also say, we should fire bad cops and bad teachers.

Unions make the discussion a lot more difficult.

I would guess that if Nick Saban's football program were not bringing the University and community ten times his $4 million a year salary he would lose his job in a hurry.

I know the tiny fraction of State and Federal dollars allocated to first responders is not the top priority for Tea Party chopping block of a more reasonable sized government.

Now, all of that aside, yeah... football rocks. College football doubly so. (maybe more so with a four team playoff)

Here is a truth.

There isn't enough money in the world to get me to want to do what those people do for a whole lot less. I say the same thing about teachers.

I also say, we should fire bad cops and bad teachers.

Unions make the discussion a lot more difficult.

Amen, to all of that. Bad apples and unions make it very hard.

I would guess that if Nick Saban's football program were not bringing the University and community ten times his $4 million a year salary he would lose his job in a hurry.

I know the tiny fraction of State and Federal dollars allocated to first responders is not the top priority for Tea Party chopping block of a more reasonable sized government.

Now, all of that aside, yeah... football rocks. College football doubly so. (maybe more so with a four team playoff)

True, but how much does a city profit from having low crime and an educated workforce? Cops and teachers make that happen, but aren't celebrated in the same way government employees who coach a football team are.

And yes, FOOTBALL ROCKS!!! Its one of the few things that can make me instantly not give a fuck about politics.

WHo ya got for the National Champ game this year? I think Bama vs FSU.

Forum List

Back