Are dynasties bad for sports?

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
I started watching the video I will post below. I like what Cris Carter says about the Alabama Dynasty and what it has done. The level of play, the quality of the competition and the growth of the sport can, at least partly be laid at the feet of Nick Saban.

The juggernaut of Alabama football has improved the game that Dabo Sweeney coaches. For years there was a joke that some team had "Clemsoned Out". Start strong and then folded to an inferior opponent. It is hard to see that now.

Urban Meyer has become better by facing, or knowing he will face, Saban and the Crimson Tide. Schools have improved facilities to compete.

On the flip side, Nick Wright says he doesn't like dynasties because he watches sports to see the great athletes do great things. There is no one player that you can point to and say HE is the reason they've won.

Most of the big sports are teams sports. Football, as much as any sport, requires team work. The best QB or RB only does well when their offensive line does their job. On a college football team, you have aroun 100 young men to be organized, trained, taught and motivated. For many of them, it is their first time away from home. That an institution can continue to produce teams that play at the highest level, with changing players, changing strengths, changing weaknesses, and changing ass't coaches is phenomenal.

A team sport requires not only top level athletes, but a selflessness that is hard to teach. But the lessons learned carry on for life.

What does anyone else think of dynasties? And I mean in any sport.

I admire excellence. If one team wins a lot more championships than another team that is a tribute to their athleticism, their training and their desire to win. However, dynasties do not last forever. Alabama has a great football franchise, but they are not invulnerable. They have been beaten and there is no assurance they will win the championship next year. Other teams know they must be at their very best to beat Alabama and that makes for a much better season.

No team is perfect, When it comes to perfection, I would point out that the only professional football team to have a perfect season was the 1972 Miami Dolphins. But they only did it once. Former NFL commissioner Bert Bell ('46-'59) was known to have said famously "on any given Sunday, any team in the NFL can beat any other team." He was right, of course.

I admire excellence. If one team wins a lot more championships than another team that is a tribute to their athleticism, their training and their desire to win. However, dynasties do not last forever. Alabama has a great football franchise, but they are not invulnerable. They have been beaten and there is no assurance they will win the championship next year. Other teams know they must be at their very best to beat Alabama and that makes for a much better season.

No team is perfect, When it comes to perfection, I would point out that the only professional football team to have a perfect season was the 1972 Miami Dolphins. But they only did it once. Former NFL commissioner Bert Bell ('46-'59) was known to have said famously "on any given Sunday, any team in the NFL can beat any other team." He was right, of course.

I agree. They dynasty will not last forever. And Alabama can be beaten. In the 11 years Saban has been at Alabama, he has only had 1 team go undefeated.

I do think having a dynasty makes every team you play, play better. And on any given Saturday, any college football team can lose.

I miss the baseball dynasties...they seem to have been most successful at making everyone mediocre

I miss the baseball dynasties...they seem to have been most successful at making everyone mediocre

yeah the world is fucked that baseball players can leave anytime they want for more money.baseball used to be so fun before fucking free agency ruined the game.

Forum List

Back