The Tea Party vs a $70 million HS Football Stadium

Good point..

So if the citizens of Katy (or anywhere else in Texas) had a choice to build a $20 million Science and Technology Center to turn out Engineers, Scientists, Computer Scientists and Doctors or spend $70 million on a Football Stadium to turn out Football Players

How would they choose?

Those things were included in the bond issue.

The majority is allowed to make stupid decisions

And the majority of posters are allowed to ridicule them for it

Your issue with it is purely political. Your hatred of an iconic red state. You could care less if you weren't a political hack.

Given your view that a community can confiscate money and redistribute it freely to the point of discouraging people from self responsibility, to spend money on something that's overwhelmingly popular in the community is what's "stupid."

And as I pointed out, you know nothing of the full financial, only the price tag. They sell a lot of tickets in Texas.

Don't try to sell me any bullshit that this stadium will pay for itself. Even NFL Stadiums do not pay for themselves

I am merely mocking the State of Texas (yes, this is a Texas wide problem) for their misplaced priorities. If Texans were passing bond issues to build Science and Technology Centers to turn out future engineers, scientists, doctors and computer scientists, I would applaud them

$70 million taxpayer dollars to turn out football players....I don't think so

When the economy in your state is as good as it is in Texas...? Then you can talk.
Until then STFU....

Guess which state?

The Tea Party vs. the $70 million high school football stadium - The Week

In Texas, pretty much the only thing more popular than low taxes is football. Hence the awkward battle in Katy, Texas, over a proposal to build the most expensive high school football stadium in the United States.

The 14,000-seat stadium would be built next to the 10,000-seat stadium the school already has. Improvements would include state-of-the-art lighting, concourses to provide shelter during storms, bigger bathrooms, and adjacent field houses to hold weight rooms and offices for the staff. The proposed price tag is $69.5 million.

Every other stadium that even comes close is located in, you guessed it, Texas. That includes the $49 million Woodforest Bank Stadium near Houston and the Alamo Stadium in San Antonio, a 23,000-seat facility that is currently undergoing a $35 million renovation.

Of course, it's not Jerry Jones who is footing the nearly $70 million bill for Katy's new football stadium; it's the taxpayers, as part of a $100 million bond package. And that has some local Tea Party members, like Cyndi Lawrence, angry, according to the Houston Chronicle:

A $69 million price tag for a second stadium is excessive on the backs of the taxpayers … Just a few years ago, the housing market crashed. Who's to say this market is stable? If something happens again, they will be forced to raise taxes. I think it's just bad planning, putting that much debt on future generations.

so are you complaining the tea party is looking out for the taxpayer? i wish all of our politicians were this dilligent. we wouldn't need to raise the debt ceiling

Good point..

So if the citizens of Katy (or anywhere else in Texas) had a choice to build a $20 million Science and Technology Center to turn out Engineers, Scientists, Computer Scientists and Doctors or spend $70 million on a Football Stadium to turn out Football Players

How would they choose?

They should be separate so the voters could choose. One, both or none.

Guess which state?

In Texas, pretty much the only thing more popular than low taxes is football. Hence the awkward battle in Katy, Texas, over a proposal to build the most expensive high school football stadium in the United States.

The 14,000-seat stadium would be built next to the 10,000-seat stadium the school already has. Improvements would include state-of-the-art lighting, concourses to provide shelter during storms, bigger bathrooms, and adjacent field houses to hold weight rooms and offices for the staff. The proposed price tag is $69.5 million.

Every other stadium that even comes close is located in, you guessed it, Texas. That includes the $49 million Woodforest Bank Stadium near Houston and the Alamo Stadium in San Antonio, a 23,000-seat facility that is currently undergoing a $35 million renovation.

Of course, it's not Jerry Jones who is footing the nearly $70 million bill for Katy's new football stadium; it's the taxpayers, as part of a $100 million bond package. And that has some local Tea Party members, like Cyndi Lawrence, angry, according to the Houston Chronicle:

A $69 million price tag for a second stadium is excessive on the backs of the taxpayers … Just a few years ago, the housing market crashed. Who's to say this market is stable? If something happens again, they will be forced to raise taxes. I think it's just bad planning, putting that much debt on future generations.

so are you complaining the tea party is looking out for the taxpayer? i wish all of our politicians were this dilligent. we wouldn't need to raise the debt ceiling

She'll have another chance to cry about it next year. The only reason it didnt pass is because of the uncertainty of the economy brought on by obammy care and obamanomics in general.
It will be built next year.

Good point..

How would they choose?

Like I said...both will be built next year. If the economy didnt suck so bad due to our current pres it would have passed.

Like I said...both will be built next year. If the economy didnt suck so bad due to our current pres it would have passed.

The economy in Texas is doing well. Exxon is building a new complex in the Woodlands. The Grand Parkway North is being built.

I just think that if they were separate the education centers would have passed. But I could be wrong and maybe the stadium would have passed and not the Centers. I don't live in Katy so it doesn't effect me.

Houston also voted down $250 million to rebuild the Astrodome

And you don't get the difference between funding a stadium for a private business and a government school, do you, big guy?

I understand the difference in a $100 million "education" expenditure where $70 million is on a football stadium
70 million dollars for a high school football stadium while 1.2 million Texas children have neither private nor public health insurance, just one of the reasons I no longer live in Texas

Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Adults - Texas #1 in the nation
Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Children 0-18 - Texas #1 in the nation
Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Total Population - Texas #1 in the nation

1.2 million Texas children still without insurance - Houston Chronicle

The Uninsured in Texas

And you don't get the difference between funding a stadium for a private business and a government school, do you, big guy?

I understand the difference in a $100 million "education" expenditure where $70 million is on a football stadium
70 million dollars for a high school football stadium while 1.2 million Texas children have neither private nor public health insurance, just one of the reasons I no longer live in Texas

The Uninsured in Texas

wel if they would stop crossing the border illegally texas wouldn't have that problem. but of course democrats have always been willing to sacrifice childrens benefits for votes

The Uninsured in Texas

I have all the sympathy in the world for my fellow Texans who do not have coverage. However, the Bond issue was for a local ISD, it's passage or lack thereof has no effect on those uninsured.

The Uninsured in Texas

Let's set the credibility bar. So in your personal life, you don't spend any money that is less important than giving it to someone who needs it, that's what you're telling us.

The economy in Texas is doing well. Exxon is building a new complex in the Woodlands. The Grand Parkway North is being built.

I just think that if they were separate the education centers would have passed. But I could be wrong and maybe the stadium would have passed and not the Centers. I don't live in Katy so it doesn't effect me.

When you consider the mess with obama care,I'm not surprised that the populace is nervous about taking on more dept.
I've lived here for over forty years and I dont have a problem with the stadium,but I believe the right decision was made.
In a way I was shocked it didnt pass. It's extremely rare that they dont.
Further proof in my mind that people aren't comfortable with the economy.

As far as the economy goes here in Houston...yeah it's better then most of the country.
But it's nowhere near what it usually is.
The rest of the country gets the flu and Texas gets a cold,Is a pretty common quote.

The Uninsured in Texas

Tell your president to protect our borders and it wouldnt be an issue.

Guess which state?

That aint a football stadium. Now this is a football stadium. Allen TX my home town

allen-stadium-001.jpg

What's your literacy rate down there? Oh...never mind. I don't want to embarrass you.

I'd be curious to see if you had the nut sack to ask that to a school where black students are the vast majority in an area where you know the illiteracy rate is already embarrassingly low. Now, the point is not to target blacks, it's to point out that you're a bigot, a bigot that makes near racist statements as long as it's PC.

I wonder how Detroit schools literacy rate was doing when they were giving raises and bigger benefits to Government employees. Stupid people in Government always find a way to waste tax payer money, just look at Bush, or a better example, Obama.... You get higher UE and higher deficits, that's about it~

In closing, yes spending money on a fucking football field for high school is a waste, hurts the economy and is flat out big Government.

Last edited:
That aint a football stadium. Now this is a football stadium. Allen TX my home town

allen-stadium-001.jpg

What's your literacy rate down there? Oh...never mind. I don't want to embarrass you.

I'd be curious to see if you had the nut sack to ask that to a school where black students are the vast majority in an area where you know the illiteracy rate is already embarrassingly low. Now, the point is not to target blacks, it's to point out that you're a bigot, a bigot that makes near racist statements as long as it's PC.

I wonder how Detroit schools literacy rate was doing when they were giving raises and bigger benefits to Government employees. Stupid people in Government always find a way to waste tax payer money, just look at Bush, or a better example, Obama.... You get higher UE and higher deficits, that's about it~

In closing, yes spending money on a fucking football field for high school is a waste, hurts the economy and is flat out big Government.

Big Government? It was a local issue decided by local residence (17,000 or so). Democracy at work. Think of all the jobs it would provide building it.

The Uninsured in Texas

Tell your president to protect our borders and it wouldnt be an issue.
It's an issue without even considered illegal immigrants. The statistics referenced in my link do not include illegal immigrants because we have no way of counting them. God knows how large the number of uninsured might be if we actually knew the number of illegal immigrants.

Federal law prohibits giving Medicaid to illegal immigrants and Texas law restricts payments to hospitals for emergency treatment of them. Hate for illegal immigrants doesn't justify Texas preference for football stadiums over healthcare for the poor.

Last edited:

Big Government? It was a local issue decided by local residence (17,000 or so). Democracy at work. Think of all the jobs it would provide building it.

Think of all the Mexicans you can hire to clean it after a game

The Uninsured in Texas

Let's set the credibility bar. So in your personal life, you don't spend any money that is less important than giving it to someone who needs it, that's what you're telling us.
I've notice conservatives like comparing actions of the individual with government even when there is no possible comparison.

Last edited:

Think of all the Mexicans you can hire to clean it after a game

I don't live in Katy. Not all Spanish speaking workers come from Mexico. All that I have met are very hard workers. Anyway Waller ISD's new stadium relies on volunteers during and after the games. Not sure about Katy's.

How does it hurt the local economy again?

Forum List

Back