The Tea Party vs a $70 million HS Football Stadium

70 million dollars for a high school football stadium while 1.2 million Texas children have neither private nor public health insurance, just one of the reasons I no longer live in Texas

Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Adults - Texas #1 in the nation
Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Children 0-18 - Texas #1 in the nation
Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Total Population - Texas #1 in the nation

1.2 million Texas children still without insurance - Houston Chronicle

The Uninsured in Texas

Let's set the credibility bar. So in your personal life, you don't spend any money that is less important than giving it to someone who needs it, that's what you're telling us.
I've notice conservatives like comparing actions of the individual with government even when there is no possible comparison.

You'd have to ask one, I'm a libertarian.

Actually, I'm comparing your words versus your actions, and they are not the same. Flopper isn't the word for you. It starts with an "H" and ends with a "ypocrite."

Let's set the credibility bar. So in your personal life, you don't spend any money that is less important than giving it to someone who needs it, that's what you're telling us.
I've notice conservatives like comparing actions of the individual with government even when there is no possible comparison.

Actually, I'm comparing your words versus your actions, and they are not the same. Flopper isn't the word for you. It starts with an "H" and ends with a "ypocrite."
Care to explain??

Care to explain??

You object to the idea that a community votes to spend their money on a football team when other people don't have insurance. Your standard for them with their money is to spend it on your priority. A standard you do not practice with your own money.

Furthermore, you advocate that money confiscated from other people should be spent on your priority, a practice you preach but do not follow with money you could freely distribute on your own to your priority.

Again, the word for that starts with H...

70 million dollars for a high school football stadium while 1.2 million Texas children have neither private nor public health insurance, just one of the reasons I no longer live in Texas

Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Adults - Texas #1 in the nation
Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Children 0-18 - Texas #1 in the nation
Lack of Health Insurance Coverage of Total Population - Texas #1 in the nation

1.2 million Texas children still without insurance - Houston Chronicle

The Uninsured in Texas

Tell your president to protect our borders and it wouldnt be an issue.
It's an issue without even considered illegal immigrants. The statistics referenced in my link do not include illegal immigrants because we have no way of counting them. God knows how large the number of uninsured might be if we actually knew the number of illegal immigrants.

Federal law prohibits giving Medicaid to illegal immigrants and Texas law restricts payments to hospitals for emergency treatment of them. Hate for illegal immigrants doesn't justify Texas preference for football stadiums over healthcare for the poor.

Dont be dense. You have a very large hispanic population that at one time were illegals. They also live here so they can be close to the border.
They weren't smart when they got here and they sure as hell haven't gotten any smarter. It makes for a huge underclass.
Then you have all the green card holders.

It's an issue without even considered illegal immigrants. The statistics referenced in my link do not include illegal immigrants because we have no way of counting them. God knows how large the number of uninsured might be if we actually knew the number of illegal immigrants.

Federal law prohibits giving Medicaid to illegal immigrants and Texas law restricts payments to hospitals for emergency treatment of them. Hate for illegal immigrants doesn't justify Texas preference for football stadiums over healthcare for the poor.

Dont be dense. You have a very large hispanic population that at one time were illegals. They also live here so they can be close to the border.
They weren't smart when they got here and they sure as hell haven't gotten any smarter. It makes for a huge underclass.
I agree, Texas has a large population of poor legal Hispanics. Is this suppose justify the preference for football stadiums over healthcare for the poor.

I agree, Texas has a large population of poor legal Hispanics. Is this suppose justify the preference for football stadiums over healthcare for the poor.

Since when did school taxes and bonds have anything to do with healthcare?
And why would it be my responsibility to pay for it? I didnt ask them to come to my country and become a drain on society.
You guys want to cry about the price tag for the stadium. But it only works out to around ten million per school at this point. Next year they will have two more highschools completed and the number will go down to around seven mill per school.
And more high schools are planned for the near future. Bringing the cost down even more.
When you consider how many schools will be using the facilities the cost is reasonable.

And why would it be my responsibility to pay for it? I didnt ask them to come to my country and become a drain on society.
You guys want to cry about the price tag for the stadium. But it only works out to around ten million per school at this point. Next year they will have two more highschools completed and the number will go down to around seven mill per school.
And more high schools are planned for the near future. Bringing the cost down even more.
When you consider how many schools will be using the facilities the cost is reasonable.

Don't act like school taxes operate in a vacuum. They are part of the total tax burden and come out of our pockets.
If Texas voters prefer to spend their tax dollars on lavish football palaces instead of making the lives of their people easier, it is their right

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be ridiculed for it

Texas has large populations of poor from all ethnicities...

So when Europeans landed in New England and Virginia, they were illegal aliens and all of their lineage are illegal too?

Don't act like school taxes operate in a vacuum. They are part of the total tax burden and come out of our pockets.
If Texas voters prefer to spend their tax dollars on lavish football palaces instead of making the lives of their people easier, it is their right

Ah man...

Doesn't it seem that, when you get to the right wing justifying 70 million dollars for a sports stadium for high school kids, they are just arguing for the sake of arguing?

So you live in the Katy school district? Well then I guess were neighbors.
We pay some of the highest school taxes in the state of Texas.
Of course with the Robin Hood plan a good portion of my extremely high school taxes go to poor districts. But of course you wouldnt know anything about that.
You dont even live here and you dont have a clue how things operate.
These stadiums are full through the football season. And these people spend money in the community,locals as well as the visitors. Try and find a table at a local restaurant after the games.

It's pretty F'n stupid when we have the messiah wasting trillions on obammy care and you're worried about 70 mill that you dont have a thing to do with.

Guess which state?

The Tea Party vs. the $70 million high school football stadium - The Week

In Texas, pretty much the only thing more popular than low taxes is football. Hence the awkward battle in Katy, Texas, over a proposal to build the most expensive high school football stadium in the United States.

The 14,000-seat stadium would be built next to the 10,000-seat stadium the school already has. Improvements would include state-of-the-art lighting, concourses to provide shelter during storms, bigger bathrooms, and adjacent field houses to hold weight rooms and offices for the staff. The proposed price tag is $69.5 million.

Every other stadium that even comes close is located in, you guessed it, Texas. That includes the $49 million Woodforest Bank Stadium near Houston and the Alamo Stadium in San Antonio, a 23,000-seat facility that is currently undergoing a $35 million renovation.

Of course, it's not Jerry Jones who is footing the nearly $70 million bill for Katy's new football stadium; it's the taxpayers, as part of a $100 million bond package. And that has some local Tea Party members, like Cyndi Lawrence, angry, according to the Houston Chronicle:

A $69 million price tag for a second stadium is excessive on the backs of the taxpayers … Just a few years ago, the housing market crashed. Who's to say this market is stable? If something happens again, they will be forced to raise taxes. I think it's just bad planning, putting that much debt on future generations.

They'll probably build it. And they'll likely finance it by cutting back on teachers, teachers' salaries, and textbooks.

So, what Texas will end up with is a bunch of ignorant former HS football stars who are angry at liberals because they're not smart enough to realize their predicament is not a result of liberal policies.

Last edited:

Of course with the Robin Hood plan a good portion of my extremely high school taxes go to poor districts. But of course you wouldnt know anything about that.
These stadiums are full through the football season. And these people spend money in the community,locals as well as the visitors. Try and find a table at a local restaurant after the games.

It's pretty F'n stupid when we have the messiah wasting trillions on obammy care and you're worried about 70 mill that you dont have a thing to do with.

Don't try to sell the bullshit that stadiums pay for themselves....they don't

It's your "educational" dollar. You can spend it as you wish. But if you would rather spend the money on a shrine to your local football team....you deserve all the ridicule you receive

I don't have any problem with a field being built for HS football, or bleachers, or decent bathrooms, or anything that's absolutely necessary for the game to be played. But the taxpayers certainly are under no obligation to build a stadium for the comfort and the glorification of the parents.

In one breath, tea party types decry unnecessary spending when they see the need as unnecessary to them or their lives. Yet, this stadium is a boondoggle for builders and a monument to excess and not putting educational spending in its proper perspective. It's to EDUCATE the kids; it's not to entertain the parents!

I don't have any problem with a field being built for HS football, or bleachers, or decent bathrooms, or anything that's absolutely necessary for the game to be played. But the taxpayers certainly are under no obligation to build a stadium for the comfort and the glorification of the parents.

In one breath, tea party types decry unnecessary spending when they see the need as unnecessary to them or their lives. Yet, this stadium is a boondoggle for builders and a monument to excess and not putting educational spending in its proper perspective. It's to EDUCATE the kids; it's not to entertain the parents!

Apparently you live in a poor district. Or have no civic pride. Or perhaps your youth suck at sports. Or most likely you were beat up repeatedly by jocks in high school.
When you figure the stadium will end up being used by a minimum of twelve schools over twenty or thirty years it's not that expensive.

How about the monument to excess from our commander and chump?
To the tune of trillions.
Take your faux rage elsewhere.

Forum List

Back