Tea Party Activists Angry at G.O.P. Leaders

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010

By KATE ZERNIKE

Published: January 1, 2011

*snip*

Tea Party leaders scoffed at the Republicans’ greatest victory from the lame-duck session — the extension of the Bush tax cuts as part of a compromise with the White House. Instead, Tea Party leaders complained that Republicans had abandoned a push for a full repeal of the estate tax.

Mr. Phillips said the tax cuts were more accurately described as “maintaining the status quo” because the lower rates had been in place for several years.
Despite its victories in November — more than 40 candidates supported by the Tea Party were elected to the House and Senate — the Tea Party lost battles for important leadership positions. Tea Party Patriots, for instance, had backed Representative Jack Kingston of Georgia to be chairman of the powerful House Appropriations Committee. Mr. Meckler and Jenny Beth Martin, also a co-founder of Tea Party Patriots, criticized Republicans for choosing Representative Harold Rogers of Kentucky instead, saying he was likely “to continue the big-spending, pork-barrel ways that lost Republicans the majority four years ago.”

In an opinion article on Politico, the two also criticized Republican leaders for choosing Representative Fred Upton of Michigan to lead the Energy and Commerce Committee, saying the choice “indicated they are not serious about expanding the nation’s energy-producing capability” through expanded oil drilling and a relaxation of regulations on nuclear power and coal.

*snip*

Did I call it, or what?

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

By KATE ZERNIKE

*snip*

Tea Party leaders scoffed at the Republicans’ greatest victory from the lame-duck session — the extension of the Bush tax cuts as part of a compromise with the White House. Instead, Tea Party leaders complained that Republicans had abandoned a push for a full repeal of the estate tax.

Mr. Phillips said the tax cuts were more accurately described as “maintaining the status quo” because the lower rates had been in place for several years.
Despite its victories in November — more than 40 candidates supported by the Tea Party were elected to the House and Senate — the Tea Party lost battles for important leadership positions. Tea Party Patriots, for instance, had backed Representative Jack Kingston of Georgia to be chairman of the powerful House Appropriations Committee. Mr. Meckler and Jenny Beth Martin, also a co-founder of Tea Party Patriots, criticized Republicans for choosing Representative Harold Rogers of Kentucky instead, saying he was likely “to continue the big-spending, pork-barrel ways that lost Republicans the majority four years ago.”

In an opinion article on Politico, the two also criticized Republican leaders for choosing Representative Fred Upton of Michigan to lead the Energy and Commerce Committee, saying the choice “indicated they are not serious about expanding the nation’s energy-producing capability” through expanded oil drilling and a relaxation of regulations on nuclear power and coal.

*snip*

Did I call it, or what?

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif
hey, none of the people they got elected are in office yet

By KATE ZERNIKE

*snip*

*snip*

Did I call it, or what?

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

The Gop is using them and they're also using Sarah Palin. It's going to be a balancing act keeping these people in line though. TPers are activists and used to making it happen without interference.

If Palin decides to run for president, she presents a primary challenge but will lose the general. Rs here think Dems are afraid of Palin but it's the Gop who's getting worried.

By KATE ZERNIKE

*snip*

*snip*

Did I call it, or what?

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif
Then what are they bitching about?

By KATE ZERNIKE

*snip*

*snip*

Did I call it, or what?

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif
Then what are they bitching about?
doesnt seem like "bitching" to me

yeah, and who wrote that?
an editor
:rolleyes:

:eusa_shhh: Synthia apparently believes that a headline is a fact. Most intelligent people know it is written to grab a reader's attention.
editors know most people skim the headlines
and only a few actually read the story
that way they can push an agenda that the story doesnt actually support, i didnt see any "anger" from the story
some disappointment, yes, anger, no
the anger will come if things dont change with the new congress

I suspect the Tea Party movement gets a lot more press than its constituency deserves.

That's because it does have considerable backing with at least one media mogul

Right now its the FOX's cause célèbre

I doubt that 10% of the population overall supports most of its positions.

doesnt seem like "bitching" to me
an editor

an editor

:eusa_shhh: Synthia apparently believes that a headline is a fact. Most intelligent people know it is written to grab a reader's attention.

So, tea party activists are not angry with the GOP leaders?

A simple yes or no will be sufficient to get you both on the record.

From the linked article for this thread's title.
"Do I think they've recognized what happened on Election Day? I would say decisively no," Mark Meckler, co-founder of the Tea Party Patriots told The New York Times."

So, in the House, 130 Tea Party-backed candidates ran, and just over 40 won. The Tea Party owns less than 10% of the vote in the House and a much lower number in the Senate, yet they think they control this country's future?
I'd say we have a clear case of "Illusion of Grandeur" for the Tea Party and it's supporters. In this country, representation of an ideology is not "less is more".

Last edited:
Note NO anger from the TP fro busiting the budget yet again , they just wnated MORE budget busting tax cuts.

What whores the TP people are.

From the linked article for this thread's title.
"Do I think they've recognized what happened on Election Day? I would say decisively no," Mark Meckler, co-founder of the Tea Party Patriots told The New York Times."

So, in the House, 130 Tea Party-backed candidates ran, and just over 40 won. The Tea Party owns less than 10% of the vote in the House and a much lower number in the Senate, yet they think they control this country's future?
I'd say we have a clear case of "Illusion of Grandeur" for the Tea Party and it's supporters. In this country, representation of an ideology is not "less is more".

That's more than the total in the Congressional Black Caucus. From the coverage afforded that group, one might suppose they had some voting power.

an editor

an editor

No. Not yet. The next 6 months or so will tell the story for me and many like myself. We don't see much of a difference between the elites of either party. The GOP benefited in the last election cycle by appearances, yet it was Republicans that the tea party backed people knocked out of primaries. Both parties' elites are worthy of anger.

Those that are of the mindset of most in tea parties are looking to back candidates that agree with them on economic issues and security. If they vote different after elected, they won't get those votes again.

Whether or not those active now stay so really depends on how government leaders act.

Growth is going to come from local to state to federal levels.

Perhaps the real danger that liberals are only beginning to awaken to is that these folks are not the conservatives you all have in your minds. You need to awaken to the fact that many are libertarians and economic-not social conservatives. They are against big government but they aren't against free exercise of rights for all.

Note NO anger from the TP fro busiting the budget yet again , they just wnated MORE budget busting tax cuts.

What whores the TP people are.

What are you talking about? Busting the budget has been pretty exclusively the realm of the Democrat Party and will remain so until the next Congress comes to town. The last election was, among other things, about the outrage generated by the budget busting of the most recent Congress and the leader of the pack, the Big 0.

The continuation of the tax cuts were not tax cuts and, in truth, there were some tax increases.

an editor

No. Not yet. The next 6 months or so will tell the story for me and many like myself. We don't see much of a difference between the elites of either party. The GOP benefited in the last election cycle by appearances, yet it was Republicans that the tea party backed people knocked out of primaries. Both parties' elites are worthy of anger.

Those that are of the mindset of most in tea parties are looking to back candidates that agree with them on economic issues and security. If they vote different after elected, they won't get those votes again.

Whether or not those active now stay so really depends on how government leaders act.

Perhaps the real danger that liberals are only beginning to awaken to is that these folks are not the conservatives you all have in your minds. You need to awaken to the fact that many are libertarians and economic-not social conservatives. They are against big government but they aren't against free exercise of rights for all.
Thank you for a thoughtful response, instead of the tired, lazy "Liberal Media" meme that we see toward the beginning of this thread.

Thank you for a thoughtful response, instead of the tired, lazy "Liberal Media" meme that we see toward the beginning of this thread.
moron, the story didnt support the headline
but you will NEVER get it

Forum List

Back