Tax Refund Fiasco Is Political Payback For Republicans

Everybody should have to write two checks for taxes every year. One federal and one state. Then they will have a much better idea just how much these politicians are costing them.

Have you never done your taxes?
Of course. But when you have people so dumb they actually consider a large tax return a good thing what makes you think they understand how much they paid in. How many do you think know how much their employer paid on their behalf? That’s money that could have been yours in higher wages.
That is why I don't think that your employer should pay a dime in extra taxes on your income.

All that should be CLEARLY labeled and displayed at the top of every pay stub. People need to see what they ACTUALLY pay in taxes - not some chopped up number that amounts to less than half what the employee pays.

Trump's tax overhaul targeted blue states.

Trump's War Against Blue States - Bloomberg
At least 4.4 million Trump voting republicans in california. How do they deal with it?
3d1fjmt7ixg21.jpg
They all count for democrats in out WTA system so...

This guys tax rate went down but so did yours. Everybody's tax rate went down.

Stop being an envious asshole and enjoy paying less taxes.

The only people that are paying more taxes are the mostly wealthy whose deductions exceed the caps.

If you heard differently then it is fake news.
Tariffs raise prices on everything; its effectively a tax hike on consumers. Along with businesses not boosting their hiring/spending.

You are confused.

The tariffs are used to get fair trade agreements, which seems to be working. We will see how it works out with China.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Trump's tax cut.

The additional funds I may (or may not) be paying for consumer goods because of the temporary tariffs are a drop in the bucket compared to the increased taxes I paid under that asshole Obama and the tremendous hit to health care because of that filthy ass Obamacare.

Obama was a disaster for this country. Trump is getting us on the right track with lower taxes and fair trade deals and the booming economy shows it.

Almost everyone I've talked to said their tax refund has been smaller than ever before, or that they actually owe instead of getting a refund.
And now they get to pay their fair share. Why would you be upset about that? Dems have complained for years people aren’t paying their fair share.

How is it their fair share? Do you have a clue how taxes work?

Not to mention this totally invalidates that extra money people were getting in their pay checks because of the Trump "tax cuts." All it really was, was robbing Peter to pay Paul.

So, let's see. One, her employer failed to withhold enough money, which has nothing to do with Trump. Two, her state, New York, has excessively high taxes which she can't fully deduct anymore meaning she can no longer pass her federal tax responsibility onto the rest of us and she actually has to pay the taxes that her state has been voting in favor of for decades.

Not seeing the problem here.

Apparently you didn't read closely enough. Try again...

No, I read it just fine
The withholding DOES have something to do with Trump - the tax cut changed the witholding laws that led to her
The fact remains that if they had taken out enough to leaver her with $0 IRS debt her check would have gone down by something like $300 a month instead of up by $90. That's not a win in anyone's book.
One individual is really irrelevant. Most people received a tax break. you will be able to find those that did not.

Are you going to hang Obamacare on the myriad of people the right came up with that found out the law did not benefit them?
Why not? You guys did and turn about is definitely fair play.
'Us' guys did nothing of the sort and if you are admitting that you rejected the argument before then it really does not help your point at all. You basically just stated that you know well and full you are being disingenuous.

You are mistaken. The problem for many people is that the tax reform law did NOT change the withholdings tables because they said it would take too long to recalculate them and would delay the effect.
That is not the case in this example.

Nothing I stated is incorrect.

The article clearly states that she did not fill out new W-2's. She was therefore having withholdings inaccurately taken out based on the already out of date tables

This guys tax rate went down but so did yours. Everybody's tax rate went down.

Stop being an envious asshole and enjoy paying less taxes.

The only people that are paying more taxes are the mostly wealthy whose deductions exceed the caps.

If you heard differently then it is fake news.
Tariffs raise prices on everything; its effectively a tax hike on consumers. Along with businesses not boosting their hiring/spending.

You are confused.

The tariffs are used to get fair trade agreements, which seems to be working. We will see how it works out with China.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Trump's tax cut.

The additional funds I may (or may not) be paying for consumer goods because of the temporary tariffs are a drop in the bucket compared to the increased taxes I paid under that asshole Obama and the tremendous hit to health care because of that filthy ass Obamacare.

Obama was a disaster for this country. Trump is getting us on the right track with lower taxes and fair trade deals and the booming economy shows it.
Booming economy? It lags previous presidents.
Record 7 million people are 3 months behind in car payments. The paltry benefit most americans had from tax cut were wiped out by inflation caused by tariffs.
USA the only developed country in the world where people go bankrupt for having a heart attack. And yet USA spends more per capita than any other country on healthcare! How much longer will this nonsense be allowed to continue?

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

They stepped on this rake last year and now it’s hitting them in the face.

Republicans boasted all last year that their new tax law boosted paychecks and showered bonuses on several million workers.

But now that tax season is upon us, several million Americans are getting a nasty surprise: a bill from the Internal Revenue Service that they never expected.

Beth Callori of Long Island, New York, said she was thrilled to receive about $90 more in each paycheck last year. Thanks to the new lower federal income tax rates, Callori’s employer, a financial services firm, was withholding less from her paycheck for federal tax purposes.

“I thought, ‘Wow, Trump is great, I love him,’” Callori said.

But last week Callori heard from her tax preparer that she owes the federal government more than $5,000 ― almost five times as much as she had to pay in previous years.

“I almost fell out of my chair. I could not believe it,” she said. “I voted for Trump. I thought he was going to be good for this country, but when I got that phone call, that’s it, I’m done.”

Callori’s tax bill went up for two reasons. One is that the law directly disadvantaged her by limiting deductions for state and local taxes, which increased the amount of Callori’s income subject to tax and added an extra grand to her bill.

The bigger reason is that her employer withheld too little from her paycheck. The extra $90 she received should have been added to the amount that gets automatically socked away to cover the federal income tax. Like most people, however, Callori did not fill out a worksheet and submit a new Form W-4 to her employer at the beginning of last year.

After all, at that time Republicans kept bragging about the bigger paychecks they had given the American people.

“I thought because I was getting that, I’m entitled to it,” Callori said.

Beth Callori, for her part, said she had also previously chosen zero allowances ― plus she had an extra $130 withheld from each paycheck. It wasn’t enough.

She said she used to love Donald Trump. Not anymore.

“I really liked things he was doing, until this, and now I hate him,” she said.

More: Tax Refund Fiasco Is Political Payback For Republicans

What did these people expect from a conman like Trump? His only goal was to make the rich richer. National debt be damned.

Republicans boasted all last year that their new tax law boosted paychecks and showered bonuses on several million workers.

Don't you hate it when they're right?

“I almost fell out of my chair. I could not believe it,” she said. “I voted for Trump. I thought he was going to be good for this country, but when I got that phone call, that’s it, I’m done.”

Damn it, now Trump will never win New York in 2020.

So, let's see. One, her employer failed to withhold enough money, which has nothing to do with Trump. Two, her state, New York, has excessively high taxes which she can't fully deduct anymore meaning she can no longer pass her federal tax responsibility onto the rest of us and she actually has to pay the taxes that her state has been voting in favor of for decades.

If they'd withheld enough her paychecks would have gone down, not up.

Again.... because her state jacked up taxes, and they can no longer use that to offset Federal Taxes.

Same thing happened with St Reagan’s tax reform act of 1986.

We went from claiming 11 exemptions throughout the year and getting little to no refund at tax time to zero exemptions and writing the IRS a check.

Thank you St Reagan and St Trumpy! You guys are the best!

We went from claiming 11 exemptions throughout the year and getting little to no refund at tax time to zero exemptions and writing the IRS a check.

Reagan closed your loopholes?
You mad bro?

Here we go again...Ignoramus nutbars all butthurt because the IRS didn't keep enough of their money, so they could get a big refund.....As though gubmint keeping your money interest-free for a year is supposed to be a good thing.

Poor dullard moonbats. :itsok:
It is the employee's responsibility to fill out the w 9 withholding form.

If you or anyone else didn't have enough money withheld to cover your tax burden then it is not your employer's fault
The fact remains that if they had taken out enough to leave her with $0 IRS debt her check would have gone down by something like $300 a month instead of up by $90.

She may have jumped income brackets. It is not clear how she made $90 more take home per check and had them take out an extra $130 per pay check more in extra taxes to boot. It would suggest she made at least $2,520 and $10,920 more in taxable income than she did the year before depending on how often she gets paid.
The fact remains that if they had taken out enough to leaver her with $0 IRS debt her check would have gone down by something like $300 a month instead of up by $90. That's not a win in anyone's book.

It is not "They" who is responsible. The article clearly states that she did not change her W2 despite the IRS recommendation people do that.
The fact remains that if they had taken out enough to leaver her with $0 IRS debt her check would have gone down by something like $300 a month instead of up by $90.

So what?

It's her high state taxes that screwed her over

So.....because you get to keep more of each of your checks your "refund" is lower...you paid in less, you get less back. You Progs are truly stoooopid.

Here we go again...Ignoramus nutbars all butthurt because the IRS didn't keep enough of their money, so they could get a big refund.....As though gubmint keeping your money interest-free for a year is supposed to be a good thing.

Poor dullard moonbats. :itsok:

You do know that the employee decides how much is withheld...right?

Same thing happened with St Reagan’s tax reform act of 1986.

Thank you St Reagan and St Trumpy! You guys are the best!

Reagan closed your loopholes?
You mad bro?

Everyone should be unless they close all expenditures for everyone!

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

They stepped on this rake last year and now it’s hitting them in the face.

But now that tax season is upon us, several million Americans are getting a nasty surprise: a bill from the Internal Revenue Service that they never expected.

Beth Callori of Long Island, New York, said she was thrilled to receive about $90 more in each paycheck last year. Thanks to the new lower federal income tax rates, Callori’s employer, a financial services firm, was withholding less from her paycheck for federal tax purposes.

“I thought, ‘Wow, Trump is great, I love him,’” Callori said.

But last week Callori heard from her tax preparer that she owes the federal government more than $5,000 ― almost five times as much as she had to pay in previous years.

Callori’s tax bill went up for two reasons. One is that the law directly disadvantaged her by limiting deductions for state and local taxes, which increased the amount of Callori’s income subject to tax and added an extra grand to her bill.

The bigger reason is that her employer withheld too little from her paycheck. The extra $90 she received should have been added to the amount that gets automatically socked away to cover the federal income tax. Like most people, however, Callori did not fill out a worksheet and submit a new Form W-4 to her employer at the beginning of last year.

After all, at that time Republicans kept bragging about the bigger paychecks they had given the American people.

“I thought because I was getting that, I’m entitled to it,” Callori said.

Beth Callori, for her part, said she had also previously chosen zero allowances ― plus she had an extra $130 withheld from each paycheck. It wasn’t enough.

She said she used to love Donald Trump. Not anymore.

“I really liked things he was doing, until this, and now I hate him,” she said.

More: Tax Refund Fiasco Is Political Payback For Republicans

What did these people expect from a conman like Trump? His only goal was to make the rich richer. National debt be damned.

Time for her to move to Florida.

BULLSHIT - New York unlike most Republican bumblefuck is a net payer to the Federal government. That was true before Trump tax-cut made New Yorkers pay tax on top of their new york state tax withholding.

Thats ok - Republicans don't need any congressmen from new york. :rolleyes:

Analysis: How a Democrat Flipped NYC's Last Republican Congressional Seat

Two, her state, New York, has excessively high taxes which she can't fully deduct anymore meaning she can no longer pass her federal tax responsibility onto the rest of us

Keeping more of your own money is passing your responsibility onto other people? Interesting.

So she was paid an extra $2,160 which bumped her into a higher tax bracket which she paid no tax on during the year. Remember when the blue state mongrels decided they'd take the Trump tax cuts back by raising state taxes? This is what happens when you don't look at your pay stubs...she screwed herself and didn't even get a goodnight kiss. :badgrin:

Apparently you didn't read closely enough. Try again...

No, I read it just fine
The withholding DOES have something to do with Trump - the tax cut changed the witholding laws that led to her
One individual is really irrelevant. Most people received a tax break. you will be able to find those that did not.

Are you going to hang Obamacare on the myriad of people the right came up with that found out the law did not benefit them?
Why not? You guys did and turn about is definitely fair play.
'Us' guys did nothing of the sort and if you are admitting that you rejected the argument before then it really does not help your point at all. You basically just stated that you know well and full you are being disingenuous.

You are mistaken. The problem for many people is that the tax reform law did NOT change the withholdings tables because they said it would take too long to recalculate them and would delay the effect.
That is not the case in this example.

Nothing I stated is incorrect.

The article clearly states that she did not fill out new W-2's. She was therefore having withholdings inaccurately taken out based on the already out of date tables
It doesn't fucking matter.

If they had taken out enough to leave a $0.00 tax liability she would have taken a $300 a month pay cut instead of a $90 increase.

It's some pretty simple math kids.

Forum List

Back