Taliban: Americans can expect to see more kidnappings after Obama's 5-for-1 swap

Thats easy. They were fighting the Russians.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. At least for a time.

The argument of this thread amounts to, "This one deal above any other incident is what has finally given al-Qaeda and the Taliban the strength to fight back against America.

Thanks, Obama."

Good, solid Republican logic. Why can't Obama just go back to the good ol' Reagan days when Muslim terrorists were our friends?

Do you know why Reagan supported the Muslims in Afghanistan? I would like to hear it if you do.

They were fighting the SOVIETS and Ronnie lived back in the late 1940s. NIXON set the stage for the downfall of the USSR, Ronnie posed a lot.

Here's the thing.

Once we have wound down the war in Afghanistan at the end of the year, we are going to start releasing the rest of the detainees. Prisoner exchange or no prisoner exchange.

The Bergdahl thing changes nothing. The Taliban would be snatching more Americans if they could anyway. It's just that you don't find many Americans wandering around the wilds of Afghanistan or Pakistan. You have the occasional idiot backpackers wandering into Iran and shit, but that's about it. Then there's the random Christian missionary pushing Bibles. Those kinds of people have been being taken since long before Bergdahl's release.

This exchange changes nothing in that respect. If you are a defenseless American and wander across the vision of a terrorist, you are getting taken down, Bergdahl or no Bergdahl.

This meme that Bergdahl's release increases danger to Americans is bogus.

Though Bergdahl's captivity might not be correctly called a "kidnapping" since he appears to have voluntarily walked over and joined them, the rest is as predictable as night following day.

The Taliban sees that they have uncovered a gold mine. Did some of your top people get captured by the Americans? No problem. Just grab a few Americans in turn, and the American "leaders" will fall down on their knees and let your people go back to you before you can take a deep breath.

And the Americans you managed to kill while your people were being captured, are "the icing on the cake" - you can have them for free.

Who wouldn't take a deal like that, and do everything they could to expand it?

----------------------------------------------------

Taliban commander claims more kidnappings to come after Obama's hostage trade | Mail Online

Taliban commander claims more kidnappings will come now that Obama has completed his 5-for-1 hostage trade

by David Martosko, U.S. Political Editor
Published: 12:16 EST, 5 June 2014
Updated: 12:45 EST, 5 June 2014

A Taliban commander in Afghanistan said Thursday that Americans can expect to see more kidnappings to ransom accused terrorists held by the United States.

Terrorists under his command, the Taliban leader said, would work to take more Americans prisoner, since the Obama administration's deal to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has shown captive U.S. troops can be used as leverage.

'It's better to kidnap one person like Bergdahl than kidnapping hundreds of useless people,' the commander told TIME magazine.

'It has encouraged our people. Now everybody will work hard to capture such an important bird.'

I have a story to tell you.

When I was a little kid, I did stupid things like all kids do. Invariably, later on I was hard pressed to explain what possessed me to do X.

At one point, my father in frustration said the following to me.

"You behave as if stupidity were a virtue." It was funny...and true. I've never forgotten it.

Let's just move past the point about WHY in God's name you take the Taliban at their word since they likely need no other reason to kidnap Americans than the ones they already have. Truth is, if they could, they WOULD kidnap more.

So, now that I've jumped beyond the obvious, let me touch on something that's a wee bit more subtle, but not by much.

Do you think that the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan monitor the American media that's broadcast all around the world on satellite?

If the answer is yes, what are they seeing?

Answer: They're seeing and hearing conservatives attack Bergdahl AND the president and plunging our media into yet one more rhetorical fist fight. Hell, they helped orchestrate the whole thing with their propaganda video. To THEM, this is a GOOD thing.

Think they'd feel the way if the country just welcomed Bergdahl back, and we seemed united?

The Taliban have jerked your chain once already, and they're doing it AGAIN. And the REASON why they're doing it is because of YOU and people LIKE you who have this kind of reaction and turn the whole thing into a controversy which serves to do nothing but distract us as a nation and draw the attention of our leaders away from the war effort just to deal with this.

Under those circumstances, of COURSE the Taliban would love to kidnap another American if they thought they could recreate this kind of discord here at home.

So, again, I can't help but be drawn to those words of my father. Allow me to paraphrase it to make it accurate to the occasion.

Conservatives behave as if stupidity were a virtue!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to make sure you are honest with your assessment....

What do you think those same folks saw when Harry Reid claimed the war was lost?

Or when Nancy Pelosi said the CIA lied to her?

Or when Hillary said the President lied by cherry picking?

Or when a multitude of democrats called Bush a war criminal?

Or when that guy from Pennsylvania said out troops were killing civilians?

Or is it only bad if it happens when someone you disagree with does it?

Do you think that the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan monitor the American media that's broadcast all around the world on satellite?

Answer: They're seeing and hearing conservatives attack Bergdahl AND the president and plunging our media into yet one more rhetorical fist fight. Hell, they helped orchestrate the whole thing with their propaganda video. To THEM, this is a GOOD thing.

Think they'd feel the way if the country just welcomed Bergdahl back, and we seemed united?

The Taliban have jerked your chain once already, and they're doing it AGAIN. And the REASON why they're doing it is because of YOU and people LIKE you who have this kind of reaction and turn the whole thing into a controversy which serves to do nothing but distract us as a nation and draw the attention of our leaders away from the war effort just to deal with this.

The same can be said for the whackos who shoot 20 kids in a school. If they COULDN'T expect weeks of blazing headlines long after the police kill them, do you think they would still shoot 20 kids in a school? Probably not (though it's hard to tell with insane whackos).

But if the solution is to muzzle the press and prevent them from writing blazing headlines and the articles that go with them... it's a solution we can't use.

Sorry. Back to the drawing board.

What does a domestic shooting have to do with the Taliban?

Aside from that, this isn't about the media. This is about conservatives who can't seem to help themselves from politicizing everything and turning it into a controversy in order to keep their base agitated as if the election were a week from now.

One more from the Bush releaes:

Abdul Rahman Noorani was a citizen of Afghanistan who was held in extrajudicial detention in the United States Guantanamo Bay detainment camps, in Cuba.[1] His Internment Serial Number was 582.

He was repatriated on July 16, 2003.[2]

Yes, Obama is President now, but pretending Bush did not release Gitmo "detainees" that returned to the Taliban is silly. How do we end the extremists grip on some Muslim populations? Invading the secular Iraq sure didn't do it.

BUSH IS NO LONGER PRESIDENT . Get over it. Obama has been in office for over 5 YEARS .. This is HIS FAULT. NOT BUSHS

Here's the thing.

Once we have wound down the war in Afghanistan at the end of the year, we are going to start releasing the rest of the detainees. Prisoner exchange or no prisoner exchange.

The Bergdahl thing changes nothing. The Taliban would be snatching more Americans if they could anyway. It's just that you don't find many Americans wandering around the wilds of Afghanistan or Pakistan. You have the occasional idiot backpackers wandering into Iran and shit, but that's about it. Then there's the random Christian missionary pushing Bibles. Those kinds of people have been being taken since long before Bergdahl's release.

This exchange changes nothing in that respect. If you are a defenseless American and wander across the vision of a terrorist, you are getting taken down, Bergdahl or no Bergdahl.

why would we release the detainees?

The war wont be over.

No one is telling us that they are laying down their arms.

There wont be a treaty.

There wont be a cease fire.

We are leaving THAT front, but the war wont be over by any means.

Why do you think the war is ending?

Under those circumstances, of COURSE the Taliban would love to kidnap another American if they thought they could recreate this kind of discord here at home.

So, again, I can't help but be drawn to those words of my father. Allow me to paraphrase it to make it accurate to the occasion.

So because Republicans opposed the trade, the Taliban will want to do it again, but if people had been happy we made the trade, they wouldn't.

Hmm.

You act like stupidity is a virtue.

Though Bergdahl's captivity might not be correctly called a "kidnapping" since he appears to have voluntarily walked over and joined them, the rest is as predictable as night following day.

The Taliban sees that they have uncovered a gold mine. Did some of your top people get captured by the Americans? No problem. Just grab a few Americans in turn, and the American "leaders" will fall down on their knees and let your people go back to you before you can take a deep breath.

And the Americans you managed to kill while your people were being captured, are "the icing on the cake" - you can have them for free.

Who wouldn't take a deal like that, and do everything they could to expand it?

----------------------------------------------------

Taliban commander claims more kidnappings to come after Obama's hostage trade | Mail Online

Taliban commander claims more kidnappings will come now that Obama has completed his 5-for-1 hostage trade

by David Martosko, U.S. Political Editor
Published: 12:16 EST, 5 June 2014
Updated: 12:45 EST, 5 June 2014

A Taliban commander in Afghanistan said Thursday that Americans can expect to see more kidnappings to ransom accused terrorists held by the United States.

Terrorists under his command, the Taliban leader said, would work to take more Americans prisoner, since the Obama administration's deal to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has shown captive U.S. troops can be used as leverage.

'It's better to kidnap one person like Bergdahl than kidnapping hundreds of useless people,' the commander told TIME magazine.

'It has encouraged our people. Now everybody will work hard to capture such an important bird.'

I have a story to tell you.

When I was a little kid, I did stupid things like all kids do. Invariably, later on I was hard pressed to explain what possessed me to do X.

At one point, my father in frustration said the following to me.

"You behave as if stupidity were a virtue." It was funny...and true. I've never forgotten it.

Let's just move past the point about WHY in God's name you take the Taliban at their word since they likely need no other reason to kidnap Americans than the ones they already have. Truth is, if they could, they WOULD kidnap more.

So, now that I've jumped beyond the obvious, let me touch on something that's a wee bit more subtle, but not by much.

I don't subscribe to our free speech "emboldening our enemies."

If they're our enemies, good - let them come out of the cracks so we can dust off our boots, identify and be done with them.

The reality though, to me, is that in action there's not much by way of "emboldening the enemies" in our media under Obama or Bush that outweighs what their brainwashing masters and brainwashing bibles already do and say to embolden them.

Here's the thing.

The war wont be over.

There wont be a treaty.

The war is over when we say it is over because the terrorists-r-us side doesn't have the means capable of outpacing our intelligence community too well, and in the rare instance that they do we can (and should) handle it like a criminal investigation.

When we leave, they have no means to boat all of their troops over here and continue the "war."

We can end it whenever we like, and the remnants of it would be them chasing our heels while being picked off little by little by special forces as fed by intelligence. That's not "war," and we can definitely end the war unilaterally.

Obama is following Bush's example, so Obama is wrong and Bush is irrelevant.

Remind us again who started this bullshit war in the first place? It was Obama in 2008, right?

Bullshit war? Are you freaking kidding me? You obviously need a smack upside your head to remind yourself what happened on 9/11 asshole.

Fuck you.

SG/ SM/ 7985 AFG/149 8 October 2001

"TO DEFEAT TERRORISM, WE NEED A SUSTAINED EFFORT AND BROAD STRATEGY THAT UNITE ALL NATIONS", SAYS SECRETARY-GENERAL

Following is the text of a statement made today by Secretary General Kofi Annan on military strikes in Afghanistan:

Immediately after the 11 September attacks on the United States, the Security Council expressed its determination to combat, by all means, threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts.

The Council also reaffirmed the inherent right of individual or collective self-defence in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations. The States concerned have set their current military action in Afghanistan in that context.

To defeat terrorism, we need a sustained effort and a broad strategy to unite all nations, and address all aspects of the scourge we face. The cause must be pursued by all the States of the world, working together and using many different means including political, legal, diplomatic and financial means.

The people of Afghanistan, who cannot be held responsible for the acts of the Taliban regime, are now in desperate need of aid. The United Nations has long played a vital role in providing humanitarian assistance to them, and it is my hope that we will be able to step up our humanitarian work as soon as possible.

UN and the war in Afghanistan

Last edited:

So because Republicans opposed the trade, the Taliban will want to do it again, but if people had been happy we made the trade, they wouldn't.

Hmm.

I didn't say they wouldn't want to do it again. In fact, I said they already had reasons to want to do it they could which was clearly stated in the part of my post you neglected to include in your response.

What I also said is that they would love to recreate this kind of discord now that they've seen how they can manipulate people like you. Since you didn't seem to understand what I clearly said, who's the stupid one?

Here's the thing.

The war wont be over.

There wont be a treaty.

The war is over when we say it is over because the terrorists-r-us side doesn't have the means capable of outpacing our intelligence community too well, and in the rare instance that they do we can (and should) handle it like a criminal investigation.

When we leave, they have no means to boat all of their troops over here and continue the "war."

We can end it whenever we like, and the remnants of it would be them chasing our heels while being picked off little by little by special forces as fed by intelligence. That's not "war," and we can definitely end the war unilaterally.

You're forgetting what that military genius, George W. Bush, told us. He said we had to fight them over there so we won't have to fight them over here.

To that end, once all American ground troops (minus training forces) come home, I'm encouraging every conservative who lives near the American coasts to go down to the water's edge with a pair of binoculars in order to keep a close eye that no Afghan fighters come ashore. WE'RE DEPENDING ON YOU!

The conditions of the five Taliban guys' parole is that they have to stay inside Qatar for one year. Is that because our government believes they will start loving America in a year, or is it because our troops are being wound down in Afghanistan to a neglible force over the next year, and that is when we were going to release those guys anyway?

Bergdahl was in bad health and needed to be brought home quickly. We let a few bad guys out of jail early in order to achieve that.

We weren't going to hold them forever in Gitmo, now were we.

Last edited:
Our scumbag dimocrap pals will buy this, but is anybody else that stupid?

I doubt it....

Screen-shot-2014-06-05-at-3.25.00-PM-550x320.png

Hmm.

I didn't say they wouldn't want to do it again. In fact, I said they already had reasons to want to do it they could which was clearly stated in the part of my post you neglected to include in your response.

What I also said is that they would love to recreate this kind of discord now that they've seen how they can manipulate people like you. Since you didn't seem to understand what I clearly said, who's the stupid one?

You are. I look back to all the myriad of things that your side did when Bush was President to undercut the troops and all the encouragement that would have given to the enemy and this is the one that is crossing the line and helping them? That we should not have made this trade? I'm just laughing at you.

Our scumbag dimocrap pals will buy this, but is anybody else that stupid?

You're projecting. :lol:

You are the gullible one swallowing all the piss poured for you these past few days.

Oh, but right wing sources NEVER lie, amiright? :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back