Taking Joy in Violence

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
is as evil as committing the violence yourself.

What pleasure is there in violence?

None.

What practices does your tradition have for purifying thought? Buddhists have the Four Opponent Powers.

Last edited:

None.

What practices does your tradition have for purifying thought? Buddhists have the Four Opponent Powers.

Don't put on airs, quitter.

None.

Prayer; meditation, and immersing oneself in good works.

• Banned

None.

Prayer; meditation, and immersing oneself in good works.

We have the four opponent powers. The first is the power of regret. If there is any joy in hearing about an enemy being harmed, the first thing is to regret it.

None.

I would like to also add that the same goes for posting on this forum. What makes it okay for some to be complete assholes when posting?

None.

Violence is defined as behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

Does killing a chicken count as violent? t would appear so, in which case you've implied my taking pleasure in dinner tonight is evil. Screw you.

Next.

• Banned

None.

I would like to also add that the same goes for posting on this forum. What makes it okay for some to be complete assholes when posting?[/QUOTE]

I'm not aware of what makes it "OK".

None.

Your hero Mohammed said "Behead the Infidel". Nice.

There's no problem taking pleasure in violence. The problem comes depending on the consequences. We're inherently violent animals; we are designed to take a certain pleasure in the hunt, the chase, the struggle for dominance. Moral questions come into play when you take pleasure in outcomes that are considered morally wrong.

If you enjoy watching a boxing match that is not morally wrong (it serves a positive social function in fact), but if you enjoy it because you want to see one of the boxers badly injured that is morally wrong. If you kill an animal for your dinner that is not morally wrong, but if you kill an animal just because you want to see it suffer that is morally wrong.

We are violent animals living in a violent world. Morality is more complicated than 'be nice.'

None.

Muslims have the teachings and example of the founder of their religion, Mohammad.

Ooops, never mind.

Mohammed is not my hero. You're lying. Nice.

You apologize for his murderous doctrine all day every day.

Oh, is this another thread for you to vent your bigotry? Why don't you, swagger and joeb take a vacation somewhere together?

Why don't you show your evidence of my so-called bigotry instead of your infantile crying. Mohammed was a violent man of war who murdered people. That doesn't make me a bigot. That makes you an idiot.

You apologize for his murderous doctrine all day every day.

No, I don't. There is no apology for violence.

Then why do you do it? Your constant defense of islam is very sick.

I'm not defending Islam. I'm saying that even though evil is done in the name of God or Allah I don't fault the religion itself or say that the religion is evil.

Consider the Buddhists who attacked Muslims in Burma. They did so in retaliation for the rape and murder of a Buddhist woman. Does that make Buddhism evil, because these Buddhists broke the non-violence precepts of Buddhism?

No, it doesn't.

None.

Don't set yourself up as the arbiter of someone else's pleasure. It would be a mistake.

After all you don't want someone deciding what's pleasure for you.

Forum List

Back