Tablet Battery

Nexus 10 came out in 2012. a "new" on is one the market for approx 80 bucks.

Try to trade it i on a new tablet like a Samsung s2 and see what you can get.

Just a thought.
"...a 'new' on is one the market for approx 80 bucks."

I'm not sure what that sentence means.

I bought my N10 in Feb '13.

How does one trade in an N10 for a new Samsung Tab S2?
I think this is your model or similar
Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

I had that same problem with my iPad I walked into Best Buy, smiled broadly, and asked how much for a trade in. I never told them about the battery problem, they did not seem to care.

Just a thought.

I had that same problem with my iPad I walked into Best Buy, smiled broadly, and asked how much for a trade in. I never told them about the battery problem, they did not seem to care.
This is the product I have, purchased direct from Google:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ACVI202/?tag=ff0d01-20

I see that BB has a 9.7" Samsung S2 w/32GB storage for $399. I could stop by with my N10 and tell them I'm thinking of trading up?

Just a thought.

This is the product I have, purchased direct from Google:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ACVI202/?tag=ff0d01-20

I see that BB has a 9.7" Samsung S2 w/32GB storage for $399. I could stop by with my N10 and tell them I'm thinking of trading up?
Thanks for the clarification

Yes just go in and talk with them, you never know.

Uuuummmmm, my tablet doesn't come with a battery. :dunno:

CuneiformTablet1.jpg

The battery in my Nexus 10 is getting weaker and weaker. I'm thinking of having it replaced. I've noticed that even if I use it plugged in, the battery drains. That suggests to me that if the battery fails, the charger does not provide enough power for it to function on the charger alone.

I checked online and batteries are now available (they weren't six months ago) - Amazon, Ebay, etc. I called a local shop and the fellow there said he'd replace it for $135 with a Samsung battery. Those run $50 - $80 online so considering the expertise involved in the labor, I guess that's fair.

Two questions:

1) Does this repair sound OK for replacing the battery in a $450 device, and

2) since this model came out, there are newer 10" tablets that cost less than this one did. Should I consider a new tablet instead? I can't think of any new features I need - I'm happy with the N10 - and as far as I know everything but the battery still works fine.
The battery in my Nexus 10 is getting weaker and weaker. I'm thinking of having it replaced. I've noticed that even if I use it plugged in, the battery drains. That suggests to me that if the battery fails, the charger does not provide enough power for it to function on the charger alone.

I checked online and batteries are now available (they weren't six months ago) - Amazon, Ebay, etc. I called a local shop and the fellow there said he'd replace it for $135 with a Samsung battery. Those run $50 - $80 online so considering the expertise involved in the labor, I guess that's fair.

Two questions:

2) since this model came out, there are newer 10" tablets that cost less than this one did. Should I consider a new tablet instead? I can't think of any new features I need - I'm happy with the N10 - and as far as I know everything but the battery still works fine.

If it is like the tablets I used to service, the costs you quote sound about right. To get at the battery, you basically have to disassemble the whole unit, make the replacement, then reassemble it. A very time consuming process.

The battery draining even when plugged in is more disturbing. That should not happen. It could indicated a bigger problem with the programming and/or the motherboard. That could end up costing more than the unit is worth.

The big question as to whether or not to replace the unit and just forget about the repair would probably come down to what you use it for. If it is just a souped-up toy, then yes, replace. If you actually use it for work, data storage or whatever, then you must also consider how much hassle it would be to transfer what is on the old one to the new one. A lot of those tablets do not have USB ports, so putting in a stick and dragging may not be feasible.

Good luck!

Two questions:

Two questions:

If it is like the tablets I used to service, the costs you quote sound about right. To get at the battery, you basically have to disassemble the whole unit, make the replacement, then reassemble it. A very time consuming process.

The battery draining even when plugged in is more disturbing. That should not happen. It could indicated a bigger problem with the programming and/or the motherboard. That could end up costing more than the unit is worth.

The big question as to whether or not to replace the unit and just forget about the repair would probably come down to what you use it for. If it is just a souped-up toy, then yes, replace. If you actually use it for work, data storage or whatever, then you must also consider how much hassle it would be to transfer what is on the old one to the new one. A lot of those tablets do not have USB ports, so putting in a stick and dragging may not be feasible.

Good luck!
Thank you. It appeared that the drainage was due to the charger I switched to. It wasn't providing enough power to operate the device, only to slowly charge it. On a proper charger the device itself seems to be in working order. It slowly charges as I use it. All it needs is a battery and it should be good to go.

The tablet is a convenience, something to keep by the TV to use to quickly search for an answer to a question that's popped into my mind, check on forum activity, email, to take photos and audio recordings, stuff like that. I have very little data on the device itself. Even what data I do have in the device is backed up in my PC and the cloud, both. I'm big on backing up, ever since my first PC crashed and burned a dozen years ago and I lost everything.

So replacing it wouldn't be a chore. But I don't want to replace a perfectly good device. That's why I'm thinking of springing for the battery replacement to carry me a few more years or until something actually does go wrong with the device, then upgrade to a current model.

Thanks again. Describing the problem here and getting input from members has really clarified the situation in my mind and made it easier to proceed.

Forum List

Back